Liverpool FC - Pre-season

Nope, the saying is Scott No Mates.

1 Like

Not over here it isnā€™t.

Bloody foreigners.

2 Likes

I dont know what level this is but I assume if itā€™s high school they have a fair degree of competency. One of the things that really struck me when I moved here was how technically competent many of the players I was now playing with where, but how little they understood anything that went towards winning a game. They played in game situations like they were playing out drillsā€¦but in a bad way. More like a wide receiver running a specific route than an athlete with autonomy to use their skills to make the right decision. The thing you would see over and over again is the team move the ball around nicely to create an opening only for it reach the player who was positioned to make a progressive pass instead play the conservative one and kill the move. While he might be technically good at showing for the ball, receiving the ball and getting it out of his feet to play the pass heā€™d had no idea of which pass was the right one.

Luckily my coach agreed with me and so he did a ton of drills focused on situation recognition and rapid adaptation. The one I remember as the most effective and fun was one where we set up within a grid that had numbered targets all around the edges. The objective was to progress the ball to the feet of someone within the specified target area, but the specific target you were playing to changed ā€œrandomlyā€ (at the whims of the coach). You could do it in small spaces with 3-4 players a team, or more or less full pitch with 11 a side. There was another element where sometimes youā€™d get extra points for scoring quickly after a target change was announced, and so the goal was to get the players to be constantly scanning to figure out where people were and what the various quick killer passes were

3 Likes

Well where Iā€™m from it is, so Iā€™m coming here and spreading my culture so

3 Likes

Australian culture is an oxymoron.

3 Likes

@SBYM Heā€™s calling you a moron. I wouldnā€™t take that mate :wink:

7 Likes

Are there two games tomorrow? Or is it a misprint?

EST times.

7:30am Liverpool vs Sevilla
12:00pm Liverpool vs Las Palmas

Edit: 2 games. Second is behind closed doors, but still on LFCTV

1 Like

Assume he will go close to his first team in the Betis game and then try a few things in the second.

No significant injuries in our preseason so far for a change. Havenā€™t any of the games.

Does this mean I should not switch on tomorrow?

2 Likes

All season???

2 Likes

Itā€™s no coincidence that we are playing 2 Spanish teams in quick succession. To show Zubi that Spaniards can survive coming to Liverpool.

Ryanā€™s first chance to win a starting spot?

2 Likes

Presumably the behind closed team will beā€¦

Kelleher
Bradley Konate vdBerg Robertson
Jones Endo Elliott
Doak Nunez Gakpo

Something like that.

Glorious day for Anfield footy

2 Likes

Fuck off is wee Suso 30 years old. That just hurts.

4 Likes

Is the sound messed up for anyone else? Canā€™t tell if itā€™s my laptop or not

1 Like

Yeah like your speakers have broken

Good to know itā€™s not my MacBook then!

Same for me, something is wrong with the sound

Aye, sound is all fucked up.