Liverpool FC - Pre-season

Mo could have had a hat-trick.

1 Like

His daughter would have.

3 Likes

I am quite disheartened and in a certain way baffled as well by this whole narrative thatā€™s being built around by media and fans on social media justifying how suddenly Endo(being one of our best performers in his first season) is not good enough for us.

Since, when did we start treating our better players like this ? He had his first season, and still was one of our top 2 players in the season by a mile. People have just bought this whole idea , that he is not good enough for Slot ball, but those saying ā€œhe cant play from the back, open his body, doesnā€™t fit double pivot and allā€ā€¦ need to go back last season and watch his motm performance against Man city.

Endo has performed exceptionally well last season, he has got a great engine and is an excellent ball winner, works his socks off, which are so hard to find these days. Itā€™s only he tanked out near the end of season for so many games being played and missing out the pre season.
For me, the guy has earned our trust and I am unhappy with Slot, about the fact, he has already isolated him, without him even kicked a ball in the league this season.
It would be ironical and not an ideal scenario for all those fans when the Slot ball gets worked out by an opposition with no protection being offered by gravenberch/mac/dom and then these same people on the social media will be crying ,we need a midfielder who can offer protection and tackle against teams and win the ball. We have no ball winner ā€¦but then we never needed one as per Slot ball , eh ?

I really hope we donā€™t sell him and Slot learns on the job, that you need players like his characteristics in your team. Would be a sad day to see him depart after 1 season. Absolutely gutted !!

4 Likes

Endo canā€™t play role of getting the ball from defence and turning on it though, not effectively and consistently enough anyway. He is dispossed 1.05 times per game and has 1.40 miscontrols per game. Thatā€™s way below average for a central midfielder.

Itā€™s clear Slot is favouring more technical midfielders. I have no doubt he values other abilities such as ball winning but not at the expense of the system in possession.

As for ā€œwhen did we start treating our better players like thisā€ - lets just agree that Endo was our second best player last season (he wasnā€™t, not even close, but lets leave that aside) then the nearest comparison would be Danny Murphy, player of the year 2004, Rafa came in and immediately told him to find a new club. Xabi Alonso replaced him, which turned out quite well.

7 Likes

Great game and turnout as always, Best stadium in the world when full. Bring on Ipswich.

Quansah is different class btw, dude is starting quality for sure.

2 Likes

Fuck, does this mean Im going to have to spend 20 years reading spiteful analysis of us from Endo

5 Likes

I donā€™t mind Endo being there for another season.

Liverpool play plenty of matches and do have more than their fair share of injuries. He will get minutes and he will do a fine job of ensuring that the main midfielders get rested.

4 Likes

https://x.com/LFC/status/1822649253635686609

VDB not starting has to be a pretty large indicator heā€™s off.

2 Likes

Yeah I would have thought so.

Like Zubi :smirk::wink:

1 Like

Im fascinated in what the thinking was for Gomez and Bajcetic. What made it better for Joe to be a sub with the first team than to get the start phillips got in the second game.

3 Likes

Or heā€™s in the frame for the upcoming PL match.

1 Like

I dont think there were many people calling for Endo to be moved on based on their opinion. From what I have seen at least the conversation is far more reading the tea leaves of how pre-season has gone for him and concluding that Slot isnt keen on him and thinking that under those circumstances its best for everyone to move on. Itā€™s fine. It happens and it doesnt diminish the respect fans should and will have for him for what he offered last year.

4 Likes

https://x.com/LFC/status/1822651509588287617

Yup a bit odd unless Slot really likes Phillips :joy:

Or shop window for Phillips? Who knows at this point. Also, am I misremembering or did Morton play the previous game too?

Weā€™ve got a lot of players it seems!

2 decent 11ā€™s weā€™ve put out

1 Like

Morton did come on for Grav yeah.

Now imagine if we didnā€™t have 11 injuries at anyone time

Starting a season with a fully fit squad are we ?

1 Like