Liverpool FC - Pre-season

I hope so. When in form, he is one hell of a fantastic player. Imagine if he manages to play as well as he did pre-injury over a long period in time. We would then have a fantastic midfield option.

5 Likes

This is great to see. Did he start in midfield? Our usual 433?

1 Like

Yeah he did, was the advanced 8, he pressed really well, was creative, got lots of shots away something our other mids donā€™t seem to do but heā€™s very good at.
Best thing about him last night for me though was that he did it for the full 90, he was still pressing and full of energy right up to the 90th minute, looked so fit and sharp. In fairness to him itā€™s the first time heā€™s ever got one of JĆ¼rgens full pre seasons, I think so anyway

8 Likes

I enjoyed the Osasuna game more. I thought we were OK against Athletic going forward and the front 3 looked sharp although we still struggled to break them down and defensively we were wide open. They got in behind far too easily and could have three in the first half had it not been for Alisson and some poor finishing. The line was far too high and that midfield of Elliott, Keita and Milner doesnā€™t offer enough protection. Doesnā€™t matter who your CBs are if they are left exposed like that.

Last night was better. Fabinho makes a big difference protecting the back line. Osasuna helped because they were high and it was easier for us to get in behind but we took our chances. Some sublime finishing from Bobby. Tsimikas impressed me last pre-season and then disappeared but heā€™s going to get game time now and heā€™s looking good again. In all the pre-season games Iā€™ve liked Konateā€™s calmness and ability on the ball. Ox was as lively as Iā€™ve ever seen him. If we can get the right balance in midfield we should be OK on Saturday.

1 Like

Considering how important Fabinho in midfield was the last six games of last season itā€™s not all too surprising

1 Like

Overall, I think we can be very happy with our pre-season.

Klopp said it last night, give us time to train and the result is obvious to see, the principles are back and we have many ideas, look fresh and hungry to go.

It might not go smoothly, I think defensively it might take us a little while, we might have a few issues there. Itā€™s not easy just to go back to the best Liverpool possible.

But the main thing with this long pre-season with a lot of the main players available was to reinforce our principles and go back to bacis + revive some individuals.

I think we can be happy with the first signs of Konate. Virgil had a few iffy moments, but that is normal since these are his very first steps back.

Tsimikas showed (although those were just friendlies, so I might have to wait) that there was always a good little player there, Klopp said he couldnā€™t rotate our full backs more last season due to our terrible situation at CB. Technically, in some aspects, I think heā€™s a little bit better than Robbo. Remains to be seen how he does defensively against top opposition. But looks capable, full of energy (hopefully heā€™s not too wild), seems to understand what weā€™re fundamentally about.

Keita looks more assured, although off the ball I think he can still struggle sometimes. I donā€™t have high expectations anymore, but Iā€™m not going to act stupid and say ā€œnever expect anything and you wonā€™t be disappointedā€. Good pre-season under his belt, back playing LCM where I think heā€™s best (like Thiago), now itā€™s a matter if he can translate it to proper games, staying fit for the first months of the season and build real match fitness. That was always the question with him, not his style or quality, although he has struggled a little bit even with the style and intensity of this league.

Elliott looks like he might remain with us to be part of the squad, ultimately replacing what Shaqiri provided. Up to him to fight for minutes as well as he can. Doesnā€™t need to play much, but if heā€™s in and around, that might be a good season for him. Then we look at it again in one of the next two windows. If he continues to impress and earns even more trust, then obviously great. But I donā€™t think playing CM in friendlies and in proper competitions is quite the same, so weā€™ll see.

Ox also looked fresh, like Keita, itā€™s good that he had a full pre-season (something I think Thiago also needed, but you canā€™t have it perfect) but I think this can be misleading with him. Heā€™s not suddenly a new player. Naturally and even when heā€™s not 100% fit, heā€™s more of the explosive type, the type of player that most fans warm to quickly. The question with him was always if he can offer something more than being explosive and can he keep it up for more than an hour or so if he starts a game for us. Being explosive sometimes makes you a little bit too wild for our midfield (when itā€™s not all receive the ball, go past a player or two and shoot), even if weā€™re a highly intense side, but weā€™ve gone up levels since his spring 2018 form. It takes more now to get a place and keep a place. His false 9 stuff was alright, so weā€™ll see if he stays and if he can be able to play in his rhythm for longer periods.

Taki showed a little bit more energy and quality, but I still think his ceiling is not quite for our level. I think looking at positions, weā€™re looking less at him playing the false 9 role. But more in that inside left channel. Up top, it looks like Shaqiri will leave for sure and then I also predict one of Origi/Taki to leave also. Weā€™ll see what happens there.

Fasten your seatbelts, here we go!

7 Likes

Abide The Dude GIF

3 Likes

Didnā€™t see the game, just watched a clip of the Firmino goal after Minaminoā€™s cross. Thatā€™s an extremely calm finish, I love his lack of nerves. Not that he ever seems nervous, but that was executed with a large dose of phlegma. Looks like a training ground finish without a goalie.

3 Likes

That whole goal/action was fantastic, classic Liverpool under Klopp.

1 Like

Also agree with this. Defensively I donā€™t think weā€™ve been very good at all.

Letā€™s all be honest with each other, Virgil has been terrible. Giveaways, positioning, lackadaisical. But, to be expected given his long layoff.

Not an indictment by the way, these are all training exhibitions.

1 Like

Watching inside Anfield. Just seen a woman with a sign saying can I have a shirt itā€™s my 21st. My hatred worsens towards the sign bearers now

Just out of curiosity, why do you hate it ā€¦ why do you even care?

2 Likes
2 Likes

I donā€™t even know. Just annoys me seeing signings. Like the act of giving shirts to kids who ask is fine but something about the signs seem very demanding :joy:. Donā€™t get me started on the 21st birthday. Anyone over 10 shouldnā€™t be getting jerseys.

3 Likes

Even more offensive are the huge, grotesque Nike swooshes on tracksuit tops :face_vomiting:

During the tour de France such nonsense caused a catastrophic crash and we donā€™t want Matip to suffer such an inconvenience. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

IMO he was was in two places at one. Driving runs, and then harassing the opposition in midfield.

2 Likes

Yeah watched the first half just now. Looked more like his pre-injury self on the right of the midfield three. Very energetic, really good in transitions.

2 Likes

Shirts not jerseys. Itā€™s a thing

Depends on where your from