Liverpool Historical

That footage of the Albert Dock and the area around the Anglican Cathedral is incredible. Hard to believe it was like that not so long ago.
Anyone who has visited the Albert Dock recently will know what a fantastic area it is these days and it was absolutely rammed during the recent song contest.
Fk Thatcher and fk the Tories (apart from Michael Heseltine)!

5 Likes

Those ringside seats were a bit steep for the time. 2 weeks later you could sit in the Main Stand to watch us play St Etienne for 3 quid!

2 Likes

They were an absolute fortune … but it was a world title fight though , and you could still get in for a fiver !

Only intended to watch first 10mins of this to see if it was interesting or not… Became so transfixed, ended up watching the whole episode - and so glad that I did…
20 Forthlin Road, Home of a young Paul McCartney…
It has other bits and bobs about other stuff, but predominately it is about his roots and his hometown.

1 Like

Not wishing to be flippant about it , but this probably was the final nail in the coffin for the old Labour movement , and one of the defining moments of the winter of discontent which helped usher Thatcher into Downing St.

A surreal art installation commissioned for the City of Culture festival in 2016. Imagine seeing this as you were just walking down the road. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

3 Likes

The long gone Tate & Lyle Sugar Plant - Dock Road

Plenty more here…

collecting old photographs of liverpool places | Facebook

2 Likes

Ferry cross the Mersey … to Woolwich.

After watching this I was reminded of the (in)famous ‘Fun Ship’ which was brought into the Dee Estuary in North Wales over forty years ago. As I remember it , the ship was never able to get a fire certificate which scuppered any chance of it being succesful. To my astonishment there is now talk of a resurrection. A very interesting article here all about it.

N.B. I know it’s not strictly Liverpool but it’s only a spit of land away and the history of the ship is equally fascinating as the old Mersey ferry. It also has some great ‘time capsule’ pictures of the ship’s interior as it remains today , and for which the intention is to restore them to their original state.

4 Likes

I recently came across this page on Facebook. It’s run by Billy Vitch who is a Liverpool based photographer and features lots of old pictures of Liverpool:

2 Likes

Some nice old footage here put together with a song from The Wild Swans , a post-punk Liverpool band from the eighties.

3 Likes

I used to live near there and I always wondered why it was cut like that. Never saw it rotating.

What an odd piece.

There are a couple decent murals on the streets behind, I wonder if they were done around a similar time.

1 Like

Things you could do in the 1970s you can’t anymore (msn.com)

2 Likes
1 Like