Liverpool Season 2022-23

They can fuck off with the timing of the City fixtures. Fourth time in five seasons we’ve had to play them at home first. The only season we got the away game first was the Covid season. Having their home game in the run-in (again) is a big advantage for them.

2 Likes

Or maybe we just blow them away at Anfield so badly they never recover, de Bruyne retires, etc.

4 Likes

I note that my prediction of 3-0 to us for the first 3 games is slightly incorrect.
Our 3rd match should read a 26 to 0 win for us!

3 Likes

That’s a rough looking April, Forest aside.

Not 6?

2 Likes

Thing is I thought it was no worse than the run we had this time out. It really depends what the teams are like at that time.

I assume our first three will be televised and then probably skip Bournemouth with Newcastle again on television. I think all midweek games when together get televised now.

Goggle calendar for the new season

1. URL that I have been using since last season (appears to be up-to-date): Link

2. New google calendar posted on reddit:

1 Like

The six-pointer at home against them must be won if we want to be champions imo, because it would then build some serious pressure on them. If we lose or draw that game like we did in recent seasons, then the pressure will be on us, and they’ll indeed have an advantage going into the run-in if it’s as tight as last season.

1 Like

Definitely. We won convincingly in 2019 and that more or less won us the title right there. That game was later, end November when we usually get into our stride. The home game last season was far too early (likewise the Chelsea game) and next season is more or less the same.

I think the sequencing of games is important to a team like us where seasons under Klopp have a rhythm to them. No one can tell me it wouldn’t have been a big advantage to us last season if we had played City at home in April rather than away.

2 Likes

Don’t really go too deep into these schedules, it doesn’t mean much, especially this early.

The more important thing is to see the whole picture, once we have CL games in certain midweeks, cup games, international breaks, kick off times, etc.

Really it takes me 15 seconds, what’s our opening game, have a look at a few derbies, final few games, Christmas and that’s it.

I can’t draw any massive conclusions, I guess it’s just summer boredom.

The arrangement of fixtures isn’t massively important in itself.
What is important is that Liverpool have to be 100% ready from the first game, and relentless throughout the season.
The odds are stacked against us through blatant cheating and high level corruption…to have run the most foul of clubs so close over the last few seasons is immense. A hairs breath from two more league trophies.

I hope again.

2 Likes

I had a look at our results last season. We met Abu Dhabi at our tenth league fixture of the season and drew. The next two games were two 5 nil wins at Watford and OT, with a win at Atletico thrown in in-between in the CL.

Next season, we’ll meet Abu Dhabi on our eleventh league fixture. So, fingers crossed that will be the magical number allowing us to get into our stride. :wink:

More seriously, I wonder if Klopp and his team will adapt team training and fitness preparation in order to have a first peak earlier in the season than usual, especially as previously to this game, we’ll have to face Chelsea away, Brighton at home and Arsenal away. That’s not an easy sequence of games.

2 Likes

I doubt we can be better prepared than we were for last season. A full month’s training camp with practically the whole squad together. Mindset early on is important because I think we mentally accepted draws in the early home games against Chelsea and City last season. Later on in the season we might have had a different approach and just gone for it. If we’re serious about winning the league then draws are no good. Not even against City. The mindset has to be that we need to win them all.

4 Likes

100% it was our poor form first half of the season which stopped us winning the league. As you say a full pre-season, Van Dijk not nursing himself back to fitness and a refreshed squad is going to be huge.

If we start hard and fast I hope we do what we did in 18/19.

2 Likes

Yes, the gap between last season and the next is so small it could be that we just keep rolling as we did from 18/19 into 19/20. That has to be the hope. It’s harsh to say a league was lost when you get 92 points but the brutal truth is you are right. We weren’t good enough first half of last season. We were never in control of games and lost too many leads and conceded too many goals.

They may also lose Trossard who is very good too.

For Bissouma they do have Caicedo and Modern to take his place both have been very good when used in central midfield. They don’t have good cover for Cucurella though so I expect they’ll sign someone.

Biggest thing for them is they still don’t have a reliable goalscorer.

1 Like

According to this, we start our League Cup campaign (third round) in November. So everything is pretty crammed after the World Cup. Also, I wish those morons had the sense not to have a two-legged semifinals this season.

2 Likes

Probably the season we can all agree to write the league cup off.

I do think VVD wasn’t quite right at the start so we might be better prepared this time out.

2 Likes
1 Like