Liverpool Season 2022-23

Of course we will rotate like we always do. I didn’t mean like playing our strong XI in all domestic cup rounds. But I don’t buy this “we’ve won 2 cups so now we can take a few years rest from it”. It’s not the mentality of a big club which we apparently are.

2 Likes

Injuries will play a role in this I think. If we stay relatively unscathed like last season, then there is no reason at all why we shouldn’t try to go for all competitions again. Our squad is large and full of talent. If we experience a more difficult season with injuries though, then the national cup competitions will naturally get lesser priority for us.

3 Likes

I genuinely don’t think we put any more priority to the cups than we usually do, until we got to the business end at any rate. For me the difference was two fold.

1. Having much better quality in depth within the squad. We haven’t had it so good in a long time.

2. Not immediately drawing mid to upper-table Premiership teams in the early rounds. Last season we got bottom of the league Norwich (League cup and FA Cup), Preston, Shrewsbury, Cardiff, Notts Forest.

Previous season we played under 18s against Arsenal in League Cup and got Man U in the 4th round.

Season before was Chelsea in the FA Cup and were putting out this sort of team in the League Cup to get hammered by Villa

1 Like

I’d prefer us to go back to what got us to where we are now and thats concentrating on the league and CL.

They are the important ones and what gets us the money to financially compete with the likes of Man Cheaty,United and Chelsea.

Man Cheaty have a deeper squad than us and couldn’t win all 4,i just feel going strong in the later rounds of the 2 cups and winning them caused a fatigue in our players that cost us the 2 biggest titles in some way and for financially fuck all,the league cup gave us £100k and the FA Cup £2mill in prize money.

Let the youth,injured players comming to fitness needing game time and bench warmers play to the semi’s and if we are lucky enough to get to the final then let our first 11 play 2 extra games.

1 Like

I think the focus on domestic cups being somehow responsible for us missing out on the league or even CL last season is a red herring. We didn’t win the league because we dropped too many points in the first half of the season. Nothing to do with the cups. That was long before we got involved in the latter stages of the Carabao or the FA Cup and started fielding stronger teams in those competitions. Our league form in the second half of the season was great. We dropped just 4 points from Jan to the end of the season and we also managed to win 2 trophies and get to the CL final during that period.

I’m sure JK will be sensible in prioritising resources but we probably have the best squad in terms of depth in the whole league so it’s reasonable to expect us to go for it on all fronts as long as the draws in the early rounds of the domestic cups are relatively kind.

4 Likes

Perhaps in the league - as our final dropped points were Tottenham before the FA Cup final - but I think we were very tired against Madrid and that did cost us. We should have beaten them and I think if we were a little fresher we would have been more likely to do so.

1 Like

There were a variety of factors involved in us losing to Madrid of which fatigue (more mental than physical) may have been one. More likely that was created by the need to win every league game just to keep pace with City rather than the FA Cup final but whatever I’m glad we went for the lot. Hope we do again next season.

3 Likes

I just want this team to win another PL and CL - one (or both! but I’m not greedy) of those is essential this season and will define whether the season is a success. An FA Cup or league cup just won’t register and I’m happy to see them de-prioritised so our main lads are slightly fresher for the PL and CL and aren’t completely spent - mentally, physically or emotionally - if they get to another CL final (which we would need to win after twice coming up short). Klopp and these boys deserve another PL and CL for their legacy and will be judged based on this not whether they win a couple of League Cups. No-one knows or cares how many league cups ‘tittles’ cheaty or others have won.

1 Like

Points to consider when talking about prioritising the PL and CL-

1. Nobody in this country wants us to win the PL and that includes people in authority and those that can directly influence results in our matches.

2. UEFA wont want us anywhere near a CL final next season regardless of how their inquiry turns out. I can also see the home CL matches being absolute shitshows and genuinely wouldn’t be surprised if there was major disruption at the first one.

1 Like

Do you expect a fan protest?

I think it’s nailed on. Whether it’s organised or just what happens on the night remains to be seen but I think there’s potential for it to get extremely volatile and I wouldn’t want to be a UEFA representative that’s for sure.

1 Like

The United match is moved to Monday evening wankers

Eurgh, I hate Monday night football, only saving grace is I work from home til Tuesdays.

Derby is midday.

1 Like

Has any LFC member tried to be part of the Ballot system?
I have been trying since yesterday, but it only accept members who have attended minmum 2-3 matches.

I entered the ballot yesterday, had to queue for 3 hours. I’ve not bought a ticket before so you should be able to?

The only game you need credits for in the first half of the season is the City game. Minimum 4. None of the others required credits to register. All the other big league home games are in the second half of the season.

1 Like

I was unsuccessful in the ballot on Wednesday and I forgot today.

Can I still get tickets through LFC later?
I don’t mind if it is a category C match, but I would like to go to at least one Champions League nighter at Anfield.

It was easier in 2010, the last time. I was allowed to buy 4 tickets at the same time in those days.

Yes, I remember the good old days of 2010 when it came to buying tickets. Blame Klopp for why it’s so much more difficult now. All the members bulk sale info is here.

There are additional members sale tickets made available a few days before each match. First come, first served then they pop up randomly right up until the day of the game. Last season they suspended the credits system so there was lower demand but credits are back this season so I’m guessing it will be nightmare to get tickets. It may be easier next season with the ARE or if we suddenly become very shit like we were in 2010. Only way of getting CL tickets without previous credits is if the late sales go to all members. I think this actually happened last season for the first CL game (Milan).

1 Like

Thank you Billy,
I will keep trying for at least one EPL match.

CL group stage Matchday 6 - November 2nd

League Cup third round (that’s where we enter the competition) - November 9th

PL Matchday 16 - November 12th

14 weeks before first match of the season and last match before the World Cup starts.

23 games in 100 days.

1 Like