Liverpool Youth Teams Thread

Agreed, Bradley would be given a contract eitherway and I donā€™t think it does necessarily clear a way for Neco to leave. I think Williams could play a decent amount this season if we are more settled at CB which we hopefully will be. I think we will give Trent a bit of time off every so often (similar with Tsimikas, I think heā€™ll get on the pitch a bit more often to allow Robbo a rest sometimes). I donā€™t see a lot of value in selling our second choice right back this season. I hope Bradley can go out on loan, probably to League One level, then maybe Williams will move on in 2022 and allow Bradley to be promoted if he has a good loan spell or maybe Williams decides he doesnā€™t care about moving on and Bradley will continue to go on loanā€¦ there are a lot of moving parts to consider.

5 Likes

U23 fixtures out. Also former youth keeper Dan Atherton has signed for Warrington Town FC

3 Likes

ā€œThe running costs of the academy exceed Ā£10 million per year but no one could question whether the set-up is providing value for money given the conveyor belt of talent,ā€ the journalist wrote for The Athletic.

ā€œRemarkably, the departure of Wilson means that over the past five years Liverpool have generated Ā£120 millions in sales from youngsters they have either brought through the ranks from the under-nines or snapped up from other academies before taking them to the next level.

ā€œAnd that figure could soon grow further given that Nat Phillips is attracting interest from a host of Premier League clubs.ā€

4 Likes

Ethan Ennis has left us for Manchester United. Obviously not looking for a pathway but financial gain.

Klopp and Inglethorpe have restored Liverpoolā€™s academy, so I doubt the pathway was an issue at either. I know nothing about his situation at Liverpool or contract details at Man United but their youngsters consistently get first team chances, itā€™s been like that forever.

2 Likes

I liked Yasser Larouci, though I have possibly seen him play only couple of times. :sob:

Yeah itā€™s a little unfair on Ennis to say that heā€™s abandoned any chance of first team football and is chasing a pay cheque.

More likely is heā€™s just a Man Utd fan. Heā€™s from Runcorn, itā€™s full of Utd fans there (and they probably are offering a bit more money).

1 Like

Iā€™m still looking a bunch of U23s players as slightly out of place and needing to either move on for new loans or permanently.

Oscar Kelly, 19, GK: Has barely played since moving into the U18 category and I donā€™t see a pathway to the pitch this season either. Permanent transfer.

Rhys Williams, 20, CB: Obviously now considered a first team player but wonā€™t get on the pitch, dropping him to U23s feels like a waste of time and would block Jarell Quansah from starting. Championship loan.

Tom Clayton, 21, CB: Very versatile, having played right back and centre midfield last season. A leader in the group but absolutely no chance of a first team promotion having been left out of the travelling squad to Austria. Permanent transfer.

Morgan Boyes, 20, CB: Didnā€™t make much of impression at Fleetwood on loan and doesnā€™'t look capable of going to another level. Permanent transfer.

Tony Gallacher, 22, LB: Did OK on loan at Toronto last season but now has Owen Beck ahead of him at U23 level and James Norris just behind him coming up from the U18s. Is a limited player and at his age is not going to be pushing for the first team. Permanent transfer.

Elijah Dixon-Bonner, 20, CM: Iā€™ve always liked him but heā€™s never really established himself at U23 level and the process of moving him on looks to have already started with him going to Portsmouth for a trial. Permanent transfer.

Ben Woodburn, 21, CM: Never truly nailed down a position for himself and lacking in pace or strength meant he kind of got lost in the shuffle, always being the guy sacrificed for others to play in their ā€œpreferredā€ position. Of course he canā€™t make it here anymore and moving on would be best. Permanent transfer.

Sheyi Ojo, 24, LW: Still, for my money, the most naturally talented player Iā€™ve seen at the academy but despite a good loan spell at Cardiff (5 goals, 7 assists) it just isnā€™t enough at this stage to do anything for his first team chances. Permanent transfer.

Luis Longstaff, 20, RW: Heā€™s got the natural physique and pace you would expect of a great prospect but he hasnā€™t ever managed to turn it into consistent contributions. He maybe is worth sending to adult football and seeing how it affects him. Loan.

Fidel Oā€™Rourke, 19, CF: Heā€™s just signed a new contract so maybe he wonā€™t be leaving permanently but with Layton Stewart moving up from the U18s and Mateuz Musialowski surely close behind then where does he get game time? Loan.

Jack Bearne, 19, RW: Has actually shown he has something about him, itā€™ll probably never be for Liverpool and his consistent injuries issues are a problem but worth seeing if someone will gamble on him and see how he handles the adult game. Loan.

10 Likes

LFC u23s 6

Caernarfon 0

Orjinski our young keeper was in nets for Caernarfon. Not a great time lol. Strange loan spell, heading to a team much worse than a team he was already on. While not even professional. I do see he still trains at the AXA training facility so maybe thatā€™s a reason for the loan. But would have liked to see him jump to a better team than these.

Ojo missed a pen also. Most lads got an hour of game time all around. Fraundorf scored.

1 Like

Good luck to the lad. Hope things work out for him.

1 Like

Liverpool have revealed a bit more info about the Caernarfon friendly.

Oā€™Rourke (x3), Sheyi Ojo, Max Woltman and Melkamu Frauendorf all scored.

Tom Clayton, Luca Stephenson also played but a full teamsheet was not made available.

Ojrzynskiā€™s loan to Caernarfon has also been confirmed.

1 Like

Jakub also saved a penalty in the game

Team sheet was

Hughes

Norris
Quansah
Clayton
Boyes
Norris

Stephenson
Corness

Woltman
ORourke
Ojo

5-2-3 formation

Weā€™d better promote James Norris to the first team, pronto. Being able to play two positions at once means we can utilise an extra player elsewhere.

2 Likes

Who said it was 523? Or was that an assumption based on the personnel? I think Clayton will probably have played in midfield, heā€™s done it a bunch of times.

Would be an odd move for us to suddenly move to a three at the back system - even in pre-season.

1 Like

No thatā€™s assumption from me but I seen somewhere that Lewtas had experimented with the 3 at the back. But yeah now you say it your probably right, was just thinking that Stephenson is a Defensive mid so Clayton mustnā€™t have been in the middle. But could be wrong

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy: chambers I mean. Should proof read more lol

2 Likes

A hat-trick from Oakley Cannonier swept Liverpool U18s to a 3-0 victory over Chester City in their latest pre-season friendly at the Academy.

A young Reds side containing several U16s played the 60-minute match on Saturday.

Cannonier, 17, took the honours with all three goals, two coming from the penalty spot, while the forward - who signed his first professional contract with the club earlier this summer - also hit the crossbar with a header.

Liverpool dominated possession but it took 20 minutes to break down a well-organised Chester side.

Melkamu Frauendorf unlocked the door with his clever pass picking out a darting run from Cannonier, who finished confidently on the turn.

Four minutes later, Cannonier had his second. He moved on to a fine pass from the influential Luca Stephenson and was felled in the box, picking himself up to finish easily past the goalkeeper from the penalty spot.

Midfielder Terence Miles rattled the bar with a fine shot from distance to bring the half to a close.

The second half was just two minutes old when the Reds stretched their lead and Cannonier completed his hat-trick.

Stephenson made yet another run into the box and was clipped, the player trying to stay on his feet but eventually succumbing to gravity. Cannonier stepped up and converted the spot-kick with a minimum of fuss to earn himself the match ball.

He almost had a fourth, turning Stephensonā€™s cross against the bar, before later heading a fine cross from Luke Chambers just past the post.

Stephenson had the ball in the net only to be denied by the assistant refereeā€™s flag while the Chester 'keeper also pulled off a fine reaction save from the midfielder to keep the final score to three.
From Andy Kelly.

3 Likes

@Sweeting will you be doing one of your usual reviews of the youth teams and how the players stack up? I always look forward to your writeups on them!

4 Likes

I will, Iā€™m doing a ā€œThree to Watchā€ from every team and then a player-by-player breakdown of Liverpoolā€™s U23 and U18s.

Probably be ready in a couple of weeks.

7 Likes