Liverpool Youth Teams Thread

Two goals directly from a corner?

Oh dear. :joy:

I’ve seen the highlights and it was terrible keeping.

1 Like

What the hell is wrong with this year…

1 Like
1 Like

Playing Wigan in the EFL trophy tonight. Team sheet should be interesting with Thursday also in mind.

1 Like

Thanks to @Sweeting I now know half of those players. :innocent:

1 Like

Not sure who is at right back in that team

Only way to watch the game is through Wigan Athletic’s own match pass on their website, but it’s £10 so fuck that.

Longstaff shot cleared off the line.

1 nil reds
Clarkson

2 Likes

Wigan equalise 1-1. Free header from corner.

Wigan 2-1. :soccer: Dixon-Bonner for Bearne.

Wigan win 6-1. FT. Embarrassing.

Emeka Obi playing for Wigan. Wasn’t he with us at one stage? Came from Bury?

Always a tough tournament for the under-aged teams, especially when playing against teams who take it quite seriously which Wigan tend to do. It was also for from our strongest line up even at this level which would be (If we decided to take it really seriously)…

Kelleher

Williams vdBerg Koumetio Larouci

Cain Clarkson Jones

Elliott Glatzel Longstaff

Wigan are a team who take this trophy quite seriously - Owen Evans is their 2nd choice goalkeeper, starting CBs Emeka Obi and Adam Long are their first CBs in League One. Left back Tom Pearce is the starting full back. Viv Solomon-Otobor is a long time Championship/League One starter for various clubs. Alex Perry and Chris Merrie in CM are their new starting midfielders (although very young themselves at just 21 and 22. Dan Gardner is an experienced rotation piece and Lee Evans has been a very good Championship midfielder for a couple of years. Off the bench they then brought on well known Championship regulars such as Joe Garner and Kal Naismith as well as new signing Tom James from Hibs.

Not complaining by the way, I think it’s great when the “proper” clubs take this trophy seriously as it really does give the academy kids a bit of a reality shock compared to U23s football. In reality, playing Championship/League One opposition is going to the long term future for many of that starting XI so it’s good for them to get a taste of how difficult it can be. At this point you’d probably say only Kelleher, Cain and Clarkson have any chance of making careers in the Premier League (and they’re certainly not guaranteed).

3 Likes

Brewster would also be in the best U21 XI, imo.

True, I should have included him over Longstaff.

1 Like

That’s a damn fine youth side.

No Herbie Kane or Woodburn either, who will both have professional careers at some level as well.