Liverpool Youth Teams Thread

Where is Jayden Danns?

Cheers :pray:t3:

2 Likes

It’s certainly possible that such an incident occurred. Racism is absolutely unacceptable, and it was an understandable and likely the right decision to stop the game in response.

However, it’s important to consider the statements from the Frankfurt players. They claim that the word “Digga,” which is frequently used in German youth slang, was mistaken for a racial slur. “Digga” is a common term among young German people and can often be confused by English speakers because it sounds similar to the N-word. This is comparable to how the Chinese word “neiga,” which simply means “that,” sounds almost identical to the N-word in English and is used countless times every day.

For example, in a football context, a player might say, “Digga, das war doch kein Foul!” which translates to “Mate / dude, that wasn’t a foul!” This shows how easily such a misunderstanding could occur. Many young German people speak a mix of German and English, often referred to as “Denglish,” so it’s possible that the word “Digga” was used in an otherwise English sentence without considering that it has no meaning in English and could be misunderstood.

3 Likes

I think the Frankfurt player would have to be of fairly low intelligence, not to mention low empathy, to use this word ‘Digga’ towards a black player, who does not speak German and so would be unfamiliar with the word.

It would be even more unwise to as you are suggesting might have happened, used ‘Denglish’ such as ‘Digga, that wasn’t a foul’.

Clearly that could be misunderstood, and as such I would be surprised if this is what happened.

Saying all of this, with the Suarez situation a few years ago, I never believed Suarez was being racist when he used the word ‘Negro’ but also think it was fairly stupid of him to use that word in the first place as of course it could be interpreted as highly offensive.

This article from the Guardian discusses the topic fairly well.

Luis Suárez: ‘Am I a racist? No, absolutely not. I was horrified’ | Luis Suárez | The Guardian

2 Likes

I thought that this would not be understood here, but I tend to believe the players here.

They really do talk to each other like that. Using the word “Digga” is completely normal at this age group.

Should they have been told before the game that they were not allowed to talk like that??..Because the English might misunderstand it? Maybe it just came out spontaneously because that’s how we/they talk.

“DIGGA” gib mir bisschen Coca Cola"

3 Likes

Mystery solved!!

The winger mistakenly being named as Gyimah was Brook Myers, a winger for Charlton U18s who today signed a contract at Southampton.

2 Likes

Germany is a racist country confirmed.

SkySports News can’t get their facts right AGAIN!

Obi-Martin did not score ten goals against Liverpool U18s, he did it against Liverpool U16s.

I’m surprised he’s decided to leave Arsenal but not shocked he is going to Man Utd. I’ve been clear with my thoughts on him, he’s a talented player but he’s dominating due to being a 6’5" centre forward who is playing against defenders who are regularly significantly shorter and smaller. I’m not yet certain he’s even going to get to PL level - it’s an awfully tough transition from being the biggest lad on the pitch to having to be the best on the pitch.

4 Likes

I miss Ngoo.

1 Like

https://x.com/LewisBower2021/status/1816421165851652113

3 Likes

Fabian Mrozek has joined Swedish side Brommapojkarna on loan

3 Likes

https://x.com/LFC/status/1820776928493854755

6 Likes

The fans at Wigan really liked him last season, interestingly they all loved how attack minded he is (which is not something I’ve seen from him in a red shirt, he’s always tended to be a LB who tucks inside to cover the CBs).

If Ramsay can stay fit they could have a really explosive pair of FBs for League One there.

4 Likes

Yeah, what’s up with Wigan? Not only have they now taken both Ramsay and Chambers on loan from us, they also have a young centre-back named James Carragher.

3 Likes

Yes, related to Jamie.

Looked very promising in the youth teams, but not enough that he was offered a new contract when he had a year to go.

Good luck to him

2 Likes

He never progressed past U18s, when he reached U21 football he wasn’t very effective. That jump from 18s to 21s really sorts the wheat from the chaff.

1 Like