Manchester City* - 130 charges (and counting...)

They’re on £87m net spend so far this summer.

We’ll see if they do anything else.

2 Likes

One crap in exchange for another. :joy::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

cancelo does have some quality going forward

but he can’t defend for shit

2 Likes

Oh, you mean like Alberto Moreno :blush:

3 Likes

never thought moreno was actually any good going forward, he just had pace, & power in his shot

cancelo will come in on his right foot and play somebody through or look for a shot

2 Likes

Thats a myth.

2 Likes

Morano was good at going forward on his segway.

4 Likes

not sure that’s even true, he let the dog pull him around

apt metaphor for his positional sense

1 Like

Cancelo was a little head scratcher for me, especially at £58.5m. I didn’t think he was that great before City. Danilo went the other way, but still. Yeah, stylistically brings something different to Walker. But then at almost the same time, they gave Walker a big new contract which will bring him to the age of 34. Out of all their defensive purchases (I think I remember them all without checking), this was the weirdest one for me. At the time of bringing them, of course.

3 Likes

Danilo was a much better player than Cancelo. He has rarely been a key player in any of them, but I think he has won titles in 5 different leagues now. The fact Pep swapped him for a player who is behind Semedo and Soares in the pecking order for Portugal is I think a good representation of why Pep has struggled so badly in putting together a City defense.

1 Like

Funny when I think of it, I’m no particular fan of any of those Portuguese RB’s. :joy:

Little off topic now, but they do have more and more quality options now, really strong national side. Led by a pretty defensive coach, but they won two titles and are obviously willing to see where it takes them more. I think with the talent they have arriving, they should probably opt for a little more progressive coach in their next move, whenever that is.

Back to topic: Danilo is a weird one, he keeps getting those top club moves, but I’m not sure if any of them regard(ed) him as a starter when all fit and available. Maybe only now at Juve (Pirlo is for now opting for formation changing from 4-4-2 to 3-5-2, depending on if or without the ball), although that remains to be seen.

Mendy looked boss at Monaco, more so than at Marseille before. I’d say he surprised me at Monaco, but then again disappointed me at City. A combination of injury problems and also maybe not living the greatest professional life. They were ready to sell him already last summer and bring in Chilwell.

Stones is also someone who looked like a top talent. But now with 2 more years left on his (first) contract, there will be a point where you have to say enough patience, it’s not happening. Less and less in fact, can’t remember the last little period he had when he was fit and fine with form.

Laporte’s been a quality one (maybe the best signing from Bilbao by another club in… ages?). Even Otamendi had quality spells in 17/18 alongside Vinnie, although like everyone else probably, I’m not a fan of him.

It’s true: in defence there were more than the usual number of suspect moves and how it functions on the pitch altogether. They remain a fantastic side in the vast majority of things on the pitch, but at the back (or in certain defensive moments as a whole) there doesn’t seem to be good enough learning from lessons.

We have (or had last season, let’s see this season) maybe less spells of such dominance, but are more balanced from back to front, we can “survive” better those difficult moments.

1 Like

On Moreno: great tattoo of a chimp on his leg, plus a cracking picture of him on a hover board being pulled by a feisty Bull Terrier (not a dog to be messed with).

Oh, and a lovely goal against Spurs, where he ran like Forrest Gump and stuck it in the back of the net.

Thanks for the memories Bert!

4 Likes

for me, danilo can do a job defensively on either flank, and he’s adequate going forward–makes himself available, at least, and better on the ball than somebody like clyne. they should’ve kept him around imo

cancelo can send a decent enough ball in with his left, and his ability coming in on his right foot provides an extra threat going forward–but he’s absolute dog shit defending, particularly on the left side

1 Like

Bert Brown.

At least he had a proper footballer’s name.

3 Likes

Mahrez on the left tonight!

Wonder if that’s the first time he’s playing there, can’t remember either for City or Leicester. He had some games as a #10, but can’t remember him on the left.

1 Like

It’s interesting how many regulars they’ve had to play tonight. There’s really only 1 player you’d think of there as a cup side selection, and not even old man Fernandinho gets a night off.

2 Likes

They are defending the only silverware they have.

7 Likes

You guys actually remember the names of all their full backs? They’ve all melded into one super full back in my mind. Something along the lines of Mencelodankowalk.

5 Likes

That’ll be Catalan for roster then.

2 Likes

I was in a flux between a turning roasting chicken…

1 Like