Manchester City* - 130 charges (and counting...)

I’m not known for optimism but I speak from the difficult experiences of 2018/19 and 2020/21, when they managed to string together unreal winning runs. Add to that, erm, very kind refereeing decisions that they got this season (Wolves at home and Everton away if nothing else) and, to put it mildly, harsh decisions that our lads got at Tottenham and West Ham… People always say how these things even out during the course of the season - they never do. Also, they never get simultaneous injuries to their key players (it happened once and we won the league that season) and I think that our fixture list is more difficult. If nothing else, we travel to them and will almost certainly have to win that one to keep the title race alive.

They are favourites to win the league this season, no doubt, but I will hope for a miracle with every bit of my soul. Klopp deserves it and these lads deserve it.

10 Likes

By that logic, we’re never going to win anything because they will always string together unreal winning runs. Ignoring the fact that they’re well good for dropping points as you acknowledge next.

Yes, I don’t disagree that they get very interesting decisions going their way as opposed to the token ones we get. But again extending that logic, we might as well never compete because it’s always going to be stacked against us.

Doesn’t matter about simultaneous injuries. They were weak enough not too long ago that a single injury knocked them off course for the season.

All these points have been covered over and over again, first with the “inevitable” Chelsea team, and now City’s “insurmountable 12 point lead”. We’re literally 3 points behind with 11 games to go. One match is all it takes for that to evaporate.

2 Likes

But we are competing whilst the odds are stacked against us.

For me the most difficult thing is watching the best Liverpool side in many many years not getting due reward because of bias, corruption and cheating.
We should have two PLs and two CLs in the kast couple of years, if the odds were not as you say stacked against us.

12 Likes

Going be hard one for Martin Tyler today, please think of him.

I’m not going by logic but by feeling that is based on that experience. Just to state, I don’t believe in conspiracy theories but I have a feeling that Kavanagh and Tierney are two referees who harbour strong resentment towards either Klopp or Liverpool or both. As it’s not enough to face an uphill task against the richest club in the world, and likely the strongest in terms of squad depth…

We were good for dropping at least two points against West Ham last night, for example, but still won, didn’t we? Thing is, we can’t afford to drop a single point as we are behind them, we couldn’t catch an arguably weaker Man City side that was only a point ahead with almost three months left of that season. That insurmountable 12 point lead you mention still hasn’t been surmounted but, like I said, I will hope for it as long as it’s possible. Damn, when Brighton took the lead against them on the last day of the 2018/19 season, I also hoped. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

The biggest issue I see is that after today their run in very favourable. Other than us, if we’re looking for opportunities for them to drop points there really aren’t many potential banana skins left for them. You can paint some scenarios around their games in May that make them seem tricky - Newcastle in a relegation scrap, West Ham trying to get the last CL spot, Gerrard on the final trying to get vindication for 2014, but it’s a still a run of games in which you’d expect them to win each 9 times out of 10.

3 Likes

Their run isn’t that favourable to be honest.

There are a few they’ve slipped up to in the past.

Thing is we turn around and go oh well they aren’t facing the top 5 but that’s not usually the issue with them. We just have to win and see how it goes.

At this moment if we win every game it goes down to GD at the very worst. I think we will need 2-4 points dropped to have any chance but let’s see.

2 Likes

Do they not have to play Chelsea again?

Edit. Nvm, I just checked, they played them on the 15th of Jan

Shit, maybe. I just realized the Utd game wasnt on the list of our fixtures I reviewed so it’s likely that COVID postponements that havent had a new date confirmed were not included.

1 Like

As I said top 5 isn’t much of issue with this lot…

1 Like

Tetchy techy mester poster boy…did we hit a nerve…JK said he wasn’t following Shitty…but I bet your watching us…

I had a feeling Southampton might get something against them and a feeling Spurs would too. I also thought United might which shows my hunches aren’t always right but maybe I hadn’t considered how bad the team spirit still is at United. They were in the game at half time but collapsed in the second. City were very good today.

I still have hopes that Palace or West Ham might get something but their run-in does look kind. I think we will probably have to win every game, including at the Etihad. If we will pull it off this season it will be our greatest league title win ever.

6 Likes

CL on Wednesday and then they get another nice little break until the play Palace on Monday. :zipper_mouth_face:

The more I think about it, the more that feels likes it is the case. We’re now close enough to the end of the season that starting the run from today doesnt seem too outlandish, but given what we’ve already done in 2022 would require overall the run to match the best in league history.

2 Likes

Pep Guardiola on Liverpool

“Liverpool are the toughest opponent I’ve ever faced in my twelve, thirteen years as a manager. They are outstanding. Fighting with them for success in domestic trophies and titles is the biggest achievement in my managerial career”

4 Likes

Rent free…

2 Likes

We can only rely on ourselves. We should have learned this by now. 95% of the rest just write citeh games off and roll over for the cheating bastards. If and when we beat them on their own turf this season it will be one of the highlights of my life.

4 Likes

‘His’ biggest achievement eh?

Maybe he should give some credit where it’s due. Start with the scum behind the scenes who have fiddled the finances to enable him to spend hundreds of millions he should never have had, and a big shout out to fucking cheats like Atkinson, Taylor, Tierney and Kavanagh who have skewed title races in their favour.

The fucking bald, hypocritical cunt.

5 Likes

Have always been a believer and still do but trying to read the table now it’s telling me the following:

They have to drop points against Palace or against Burnley and we have to beat Brighton, Arsenal, Watford and City or it’s over with 6 games to go.

Odds are against us, but you never know.

We have no margin for error, so we can’t do too many loose games like Sat or it will bite us.

I think Crystal Palace have a chance of getting something against them.

We have to keep taking care of our own business. That must be the focus.

1 Like