Manchester City* - 130 charges (and counting...)

It might be, but the rebuttals still stand. In the table today we’re 5 goals clear of them. While it might have been nice to to push for another couple in those games, there’s no way to know if that may have resulted in injuries/fatigue that would have impacted further results.

If we beat City, those 5 goals will be further extended and if we lose, well that will end up being the far bigger factor in not winning the title than not scoring a few more goals.

1 Like

I accept the rebuttal and any argument or debate can be countered.
The manner in which that happens makes the debate richer.
Some rebuttals are lets say, at best annoying. Its as if the person qualifying their argument doesn’t understand the initial premise.
For clarity, not you.

Big game this, without doubt but I can honestly see a scenario where it’s a draw and some other twist decides the title.

More pressure on us to win it I feel. City’s pressure is not to lose it. I do hope refereeing isn’t a big factor in the result for a change.

6 Likes

The pressures is defenitly on us when we play at their ground, but overall, i suspect theres more pressure on City. They were 14 points ahead at one point. Pep still needs to win a CL, they didnt win the league cup this year. We are currently on a decent run and have the more favourable draw in Europe too.

Pep with fighting talk post match yesterday too.

2 Likes

Oh so like dropping 12 points in the first 9 games of last season doesn’t count then? Or losing 3 in 6 to towards the end of that same season?

Bet you must have thought Chelsea were inevitable in October.

It genuinely doesn’t. That match is important, but both teams are still in a position to lose it and yet win the title, given the happenings of the last couple of seasons.

He does go on about us a bit. I wonder how he sleeps?

2 Likes

What did he say? The clips I’ve seen (on this occasion) were all fairly neutral.

Two words before next Sunday…
Diego Simeone
If this guy can soften them up, all the better for us.!

7 Likes

Imagine Simeone actually doing us a favour…

4 Likes

Ath Madrid is going be scrappy as fuck for them.

If they win next weekend it’s over to be fair, a draw keeps it as we are and a win gives us the advantage of course.

Going back to the game earlier in the season our defence had not settled at that point so we are going into this better. But Benfica first.

4 Likes

I hope AM kick the living daylights out of the shitty…as they do to everyone…but even more so this week…

3 Likes

We have a much tougher run in that city too, so if we win it’s advantage us, but with United, Everton and Spurs to come they could be tough games (we could also batter the 3 of them too) but I would say it doesn’t all rest in this game

2 Likes

Exactly. People think because Everton and United are shit this it is going to be easy games against them.

They would love to costs us the title.

3 Likes

This time next week there will be thousands of LFC supporters getting ready for the big event :0)

3 Likes

I said it’s advantage if we lose though that’s it the confidence switches if we beat them there is every chance it could throw them it plays a massive part as it can swing the title race completely or have little or no effect.

It’s an advantage nothing more, I think you’ve misunderstood what I mean if you can’t see it as that.

It doesn’t really matter who plays who, I wouldn’t have given Brentford a chance yesterday and I thought Brighton would be tough and Watford a cake walk and to be honest they were the opposite. Teams have dips and then ups especially when they have little to play for. In fact at this point a team with something to play for is probably less dangerous.

3 Likes

“We will fight. The opponent is so tough and good but they said we will make a proper battle and we accept that.”

The point being made, which I’m not sure you fully appreciated, was that if we lose the title on goal difference (entirely possibly) it would be churlish to the point of ungrateful to bemoan that we didn’t score a sixth, seventh or eighth against Utd. It was entirely unexpected that we’d knock five unanswered past them. You don’t go to Old Trafford and do that. No matter how bad they are. Five unanswered goals should be beyond our dreams. It’s like coming downstairs on your birthday to fifty presents and complaining that it isn’t sixty.

Furthermore, the scoring of the fifth was enough to provoke that shower to put Naby out for two months. I’m grateful that we didn’t find out what their response would have been after a sixth or seventh.

The issue of in-game rest should also be considered. Getting near double figures might do wonders for the GD, but the opportunity to rest in-game and do 30 mins as essentially a fitness exercise might translate to actual real points down the line.

Nah, if we miss out on GD, the thing to look back ruefully on should the silly points we’ve dropped - The Brentford draw, West Ham, Leicester. Poor sides we should be putting away. Although I’ll have a wistful look back at the City game at Anfield. Despite how good they are, we were in a winning position, and that would have been a four point swing, right there.

12 Likes

Like it was when they were 14 points clear?

Not having this. While it’s there to play for, we play for it.

10 Likes

And De Bruyne’s equaliser was deflected. Ali had the shot covered. :rage:

4 Likes