Manchester City* - 130 charges (and counting...)

I think that’s the point, he knows deep down no-one really gives a flying fuck they have won their 4th title in 5 years. It’s like a child screaming “look at me look at me”, but no-one cares because it’s not really an achievement…

What everyone loves is the fact we are still on for the quadruple and I bet it eats away at him.

4 Likes

I haven’t read or heard what he has said in full or the context in which it was being made. I’m assuming it was meant as a deflection to hide the fact that they have once again not been successful in Europe, nor have they really carried over the league dominance into the CL either. We’re the only domestic team that can realistically beat them over a season, and bar last season we have largely been dominant in Europe too. He is probably worried he will be seen like a glorified Arsene Wenger - who during much of the 00’s had a similar run.

In all honesty his comments about everyone loving Liverpool are just to benefit his own players.

He knows they’re downbeat after losing in the Champions League, and he knows that the league title - while extremely important - is not the trophy they wanted this season. He’s trying to reinforce that “us vs them” mentality for the final few games to keep his players motivated.

I’m not mad about it, it’s not really about us.

It does make me sick to see him make those comments about his own club’s owners. For a man who petitions for Catalunian independence on the basis of human rights and freedoms, he sure does seem happy to turn a blind eye to human rights offences if you pay him enough and give him plenty of expensive toys to play with.

11 Likes

It’s a mad slant to go after a siege mentality, if there is something City aren’t with their £1bil spent on players it’s the under dogs! Ever…

1 Like

It’s not inconsistent though, they’ve played the “everyone hates us for no reason it’s so unfair” hand pretty much every season that I can remember under Guardiola.

Their fans love it too, Blue Moon - a conspiracy theory website dressed up as a football forum - is awash with stories about anti-Man City bias by the “main stream media” etc.

It all plays well with a club that deep down know they’re in a position they don’t belong because of cash from a human rights abuser.

4 Likes

Anyway, the reason “everyone” wants Liverpool to win, at least in the mind of Man City supporters, is because football media is full of legendary ex-Liverpool players.

And to be fair the media have all the legendary ex-City players too. It’s not their fault the list stops at Micah Richards.

4 Likes

Fixed I think.

1 Like

City signing Haaland. It’s depressing really. We’d have at least 3 PL titles already under Klopp, if it wasn’t for financial doping

4 Likes

It goes further than that. What if BT had chosen City for the Saturday noon kickoff after they played (and lost) a CL semifinal after extra time on Wednesday just like they did with us after the Villarreal first leg. What are the chances that they muck it up even against these Newcastle cunts and their whimsical defending? How would we perform against Tottenham knowing that they had dropped points and that it was in our hands?

Just another decision in a long line of decisions off and on the pitch that have gone against us.

7 Likes

When was the last time you saw game coverage contextualize City’s strength and on-pitch success with the reality they had been found guilty of systematic cheating (note, CAS only over-ruled the punishment, not the judgement)? I’m not sure I have ever heard it mentioned. Even if we accept his perception, which I don’t, there is no amount of rebalancing of the fairness of the narrative without acknowledging that this SHOULD be central in the framing of everything City achieve.

Is it possible City dont quite get the plaudits any other team would get if they were on the brink of 4 titles in 5 years? Possibly, but would he prefer the narrative to simply be because their main competitor in that time had a charismatic leader who people naturally liked, or because people cannot get behind cheats? He should be happy with the narrative he has.

3 Likes
6 Likes

Pep already has a song silly…

If you got bad news
You wanna kick them blues
Cocaine
When your day is done
And you wanna run
Cocaine

3 Likes

Originally written by another recently diagnosed whacko no less.

1 Like

Duck egg.

I know it is Richard Keys, but it is still a good read.

4 Likes

If they had Kane they would have won the first leg by 4 or 5. How does that work? Is that if City play with 12 players? Or if you replace one of the tracking wingers/midfielders and therefore lose whatever they were giving?

I find the ‘plonk player X in and you’d win’ statements so stupid.

3 Likes

In essence I want to agree with what Keyes is writing, but he’s full of shit. It’s a common attitude people take take, but assuming you can guarantee a different outcome by changing one decision one decision that was made for your favoured one isnt supported by anything. It’s just restating your personal bias.

But this is the logic he is using…

but how in earth can you concede a second 50 seconds after the first - and you’re in possession with a re-start? It was scandalous how City capitulated. You’ve got the ball ffs. Keep it. Put it in row Z. Whatever else - don’t give it back to the opposition.

“Keep the ball…or blast it into touch for a throw in, just dont give it back to them.”

1 Like

Jesus, I just read part 2 of that piece, in which he is saying his critics should shut up because of how much he gets right, but that Chelsea will be a force next year if they replace Kante with Rice and swap Lukaku for Kane :anguished:

1 Like

I did like the Carragher, Richards and Redknapp “debate” about whether City should sign Pogba. Not because it was insightful but because it highlighted a difference in their punditry.

Carragher was, in my opinion, spot on. Pogba has done nothing in the last five years to suggest he can suddenly “turn it on” for Man City and why would Man City want to add a player like that to a team who work incredibly hard? Someone who decides he can’t be arsed and leaves a Man Utd-Liverpool game after 10 minutes with an “injury”.

Richards and Redknapp on the other hand had your classic “he’s so good” style of commentary where they say Guardiola will turn him around. To me their comments reminded me of every football journalist after a month of the transfer window being open in the summer. Every single signing is going to come in and revolutionise the league, it’s all going to click and function so well etc and then every year most signings are absolute dog shit. Lukaku was the best striker in the world when Chelsea bought him again apparently. Sancho was going to be an absolute whirlwind for United. Varane was going to solidfy their defence and spearhead a title charge.

They’re all shite.

Personally, with Man City buying Grealish last year and now being linked to Haaland and Pogba - I’m actually getting a bit more excited about our own future.

Grealish is a lazy egotist, Pogba is a lazy egotist and Haaland is a lazy egotist. No doubt I’ll get challenged on Haaland so let’s take a look - one thing, his post match interviews are notoriously arrogant and he has come off pretty badly quite a few times. More importantly, let’s see how he works off the ball… Tackles attempted - bottom 1% of all forwards. Pressures - bottom 24% of all forwards (but importantly almost 0 pressures outside of the oppositions third). Interceptions - bottom 22% of all forwards. What about on the ball? Carries - bottom 20% of all forwards. Dribbles - bottom 32% of all forwards. Overall touches - bottom 36% of all forwards.

He’s a tall CF who essentially does nothing outside of finish moves and contest headers. That’s great when it is going for him but if he isn’t scoring then he is adding nothing to the team.

Can you imagine them having Grealish, Pogba and Haaland in the same team? I guess they’ve looked at PSG carrying three guys every game and thought it is the right way to go!

5 Likes

There’s not many journalists prepared to have a go at Pep.

2 Likes