Manchester City* - 130 charges (and counting...)

He’s gone full tinfoil hat twitter weirdo, same arguments.

2 Likes

Do you know how many times we broke the British transfer record in the 80s and 90s? Never.

Do you know how many times City broke it? Once

If you trace the progression of that record it’s wild to see how little it had to do with success and who some of the clubs were who were breaking it.

3 Likes

Clip from a few years ago but ever since he said it I honestly think he spends time looking up what people say about him on social media. Wouldn’t be surprised if he anonymously argues with people online.

1 Like

We broke it once in 1995 with Stan Collymore.

1 Like

And with Dean Saunders too in July 91 a then massive 2.9 million

1 Like

We did, but unless my maths are fucked, 95 is not in the 70s or 80s.

4 Likes

September 1979, City paid 1.4 million for Steve Daley - an English record.
In 1981 City paid 1.2 million for Trevor Francis.

4 Likes

In Pep’s head, your maths are fucked :wink:

2 Likes

He did say the 70s and 80s

Yup, I was thinking it wasn’t til the PL era when we had it once or twice.

Maybe Pep should be having a go at Jimmy Hill.

1 Like

Ahem. Correct on 70’s though.

Saunders wasn’t on the list I Googled to be honest as it showed David Platt for that year. I also have this bad recollection that we did break it with Dalglish. Happy to be corrected.

Either way, @Limiescouse’s point still stands that other clubs were doing their fair share of splashing the cash. But nothing in the same vein as City have done and are continuing to do (Officially and unofficially)

1 Like

But that would mean he can’t go out and spend 200M on 4 fullbacks every summer.

How the fuck is he ment to win the league without so many fullbacks?

2 Likes

Platts move was record for that year when he moved to Bari for 5.5 million. The Saunders fee was at the time record English transfer fee.

1 Like

Haha, fuck. I was literally responding to what Pep said and got it wrong :rofl:

To be fair, mine was a bit of a childish response to what pep said because you cannot judge spending just on breaking transfer records (although trace Utd’s escalation of that mark in the 90s and 00s and it’s shocking how dominant they were), but it’s fair because Pep has used the lack of record breaking transfers as a way to underplay his spending at City.

1 Like

I wasn’t even born back then but I read about how Liverpool didn’t sell their superstar, Keegan, for big money to buy a lad who only did it in Scottish league.

1 Like

Yeah, you can really miss what was happening in the 90s if you look at the wrong list, as that was a period of a good amount of foreign money coming in and escalating the record for fees received numerous time. If you look only at fees paid by english sides it looks different.

Very different indeed Italian football was once at forefront now most clubs ate skint.

there was no football before the Premier league error, silly! :wink:

1 Like

Man City are illegitimate. Pep’s pleas are those of a man looking for love and respect. In relation to what he has won, love and respect are in short supply.

Why is that Pep?

Because there’s a massive asterisk next to Abu Dhabi owned Man City.

Jog on, fraud.

6 Likes

City have scored 92 league goals this season. Don’t think with Haaland in they will score 115 next season. Football doesn’t work like that.