Manchester City* - 130 charges (and counting...)

I said after that Spurs game they were rubbish at the back. They really are. They can caught out wide and git behind that way with ease. Spurs did it time after time in that game.

For the record that was the only City game I saw this season. And it was highlights. Back garden and curtains springs to mind.

1 Like

Sunderland getting promoted to the championship was 10 times better celebrated than this shit.

7 Likes

Everton had more pitch invaders than City have supporters at their parade.

3 Likes

Does it even qualify as a parade?
More like a perfunctory drive through.

1 Like

No, our route which was packed was nearly 9 miles, theirs wasn’t even 1.

Tin pot club.

4 Likes

More people looked as if they were shopping

2 Likes

Yep probably were

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FTekmTFXwAEqiLS?format=jpg&name=medium

A proper parade

3 Likes

Quite apt, seeing that all of City’s success has been bought.

3 Likes

And stolen
with match officials as accomplices.
Also their shitty army of lawyers. They are the real “(crooked) winners” of their trophies, not their overly-paid-for mercenary players.

2 Likes

This is what angers me most. The Sheikhs are just the tip of the icebergs. It’s the institutions who are supposed to ensure the integrity of the system are the worst offenders.

6 Likes

Wasn’t it the case that Wolves also went at them the first time, and nearly got away with a draw if not for a dodgy penalty? Or Everton? Seems like the main message is that the referees will ensure the smaller clubs don’t get anything if they try going at City

2 Likes

I dunno most of them fall like dominos.

20 minutes in it usually reads 2-0. Everton didn’t to be honest have a go at them at all I think it was about the fourth time they had got the ball in the box, Soton did and had that penalty chalked off.

It’s not really that though, if you can coast to victories then your not using energy not to mention less games.

1 Like

I was reading in the comments of that article how newspapers have become scared to actually name it because of fear of libel action. Remember, this is the owner that would rather throw 100 lawyers at an issue to make it go away. But its likely this is what was being said in the article without it actually being said.

1 Like

6 Likes

Yeah, you two are pretty much on the same level. :man_shrugging:

*Limited “supremacy” ie.
Not a squeak about The Fraud’s abject failure at securing his blood & oil masters’ holy grail.
Not even once in all these 6 years at the Emptyhad.
Just a single miserable failed Final appearance that is scant consolation.
That in itself showed him up as not what he has been made up to be.
Let him remain the f̶r̶o̶g̶ Fraud in the Empty oilwell.
Fooliola!

1 Like

I was having this conversation with @JU97ICE in our post-match thread. People have used their failures in the CL to reinforce the idea that in the league too many teams just don’t give it a good enough go against them, but I don’t think that is right.

City do leave opportunities to get a them, but it’s not just a case of “having a go” and then benefiting. It sounds simple, but to get benefit out of what City leave for you, you need to 1) take the limited chances that come your way, and 2) not be already blown away at the time their chances come. City have made the bet that in the league they are going to be good enough enough of the time that their weaknesses don’t hurt them. And on the odd occasion they do, it’s one game out of 38 and they respond by reeling off 10 wins in a row afterwards. The calculus of that changes in the CL because they will find themselves coming up against better strikers than they’ll face in 9 our of 10 prem games, and the consequences of the bet coming up a bust is terminal.

If you look at Pep’s CL exits, 3 have come at the hands of top domestic opposition who have played similarly against them in the league and have a history of getting something out of those games. That other 3 all included forwards who are simply better than those at the majority of Prem teams, and in 2 of those ties were among the best in the world.

The take home is the risk reward of your approach depends on how good the opposition is and how capable they are at exploiting the risk. It’s simply a different calculus when it’s Michael Antonio or Chris Wood left to exploit your risk compared to if it’s Mbappe, or Benzema. What I see of City is they have not adapted in Europe to that different calculus. If you take any tie in isolation they are still likely favourites to win, but when you take a CL KO run as a whole, the odds of the bet coming up a bust accumulate and approach 1 the deeper they go in the competition.

Put simply they are a side that is put together to beat inferior teams. They are good enough at that so they will beat comparable teams more often than not, and that is a recipe that is well aligned with a 38 game league season in which the vast majority of the games are against notably inferior sides where the consequences of losing are not terminal. In the CL with the higher stakes per game and the higher caliber of players it is less so.

10 Likes

I don’t disagree. The way I see it is,if you can get enough of the ball and have some quality up front, particularly out wide you can get behind them and hurt them. Their offensive set up leaves them open and vulnerable. It’s getting the ball off them in and keeping it long enough to enable your game plan against them is the issue. I note that we have struggled ourselves to achieve that against them. On paper you would think that Klopps pressing game would be an ideal counter but it’s not quite that simple.

Still, I’d have our defenders over theirs every day of the week and at weekends.

1 Like

@JU97ICE did raise the interesting point that the game on Sunday seemed to change when Phil went off. From that point on they lost their ability to relieve the pressure city were putting on them. One thing I tihnk that speaks to is the reality that while all teams will be required to defend for long periods against City you have to have a plan for going at them when the opportunity arises. If you do, you might get caught out and thrashed. But if you just play conservatively for the entire game City are going to get their goals anyway.

4 Likes

There were two things that came to my mind. Guardiola took off Fernandinho at half time and he was getting absolutely legged.

The second thing, and this is down the PL, is that Villa properly fell of a cliff just before City scored. They were knackered, and I think there is a real competitive issue with the way fixtures are scheduled.

We played Wolves, four days after playing Saints. Wolves had a weeks rest.

City had a week’s rest between games, and played Villa who had played on Thursday night.

I totally understand that you can’t create total equity in the way fixtures are arranged. But giving one team that kind of advantage in the week must surely be avoidable.

10 Likes