Manchester City* - 130 charges (and counting...)

It clearly doesnt affect Klopp. He has regularly given youngsters the opportunity. City buy up some of the best talent around and dont appear to try to use it.

2 Likes

I think the standard of getting in the team has gotten higher but Klopp isn’t anywhere near as hesitant to use young players. For example starting with Elliott in the team to start the season, calling on Morton to play away at Spurs etc. Those chances would not have been granted to any City youth player by Guardiola.

7 Likes

Does he rely less on kids? You might say that Trent and Konate are still kids respective to their age, while Jones and Elliott have been getting quite a few chances. Who knows how Elliott’s season might have panned out without that injury at Leeds - he was a regular starter ahead of Jones and Keita at that point if I remember correctly.

2 Likes

I was thinking more about the Academy graduates, so like Morton.

I think we use kids, or depending on the definition, young players, more than Man City.

Necessarily when the stakes are at their highest, you go for your best chance to win, and usually at that point a younger player, even if talented, might see less action. For example, Harvey Elliott started the season well, got injured, and came back towards the end of the season. By that time we were in a do or die battle for the Premier title with Man City, and it felt like every game was a cup final. It meant that we didn’t really have the time to integrate Elliott and give him the space he might have needed to find form and match fitness.

Still, it’s not a big deal. I expect Elliott and Jones to feature more this season, and Klopp will give them plenty of chances to show him that they can be counted on, both now, and into the future.

In comparison to Guardiola, Klopp will use more youngsters, and long may that continue. Apart from helping us to manage the progress of time by including young players, it also communicates to the wider footballing world that kids will get a shot at Liverpool.

1 Like

I think the argument is two-fold. First we give the youngsters more meaningful opportunities than Guardiola does despite being the team that is chasing the other.

Secondly, the youngsters on City’s books are meant to be higher quality (I.e regular starter at lower/mid prem teams at least) so should find it easier to have those opportunities.

I think the only ‘kid’ that Jürgen has relied on was Rhys Williams. The rest, Harvey Elliot, Curtis Jones, Tyler Morton etc have been ‘blooded’ and utilised to progress them.
We talk about what Jürgen and Guardiola do with players, but we may sometimes forget that there are coaches in the academy who are telling him that this player or that player needs to be tried at a higher standard to see if they can hack it? It’s not just Jürgen. There’s a pyramid of coaches in the club wanting their players to progress. :nerd_face:

5 Likes

Poop Pep being disturbed on the way to his dealer.

1 Like

He is an oddball

You mean City’s manager doesn’t ask a happy supporter if they want to share a pint?

Wow. Sucks to be them.

3 Likes

What’s more surprising is he didn’t offer to share a line

3 Likes

Would be pretty annoying in fairness.

5 Likes

I wonder where Pep was off too late at night on his bicycle, sniff…

No helmet on. Possibly didn’t want to mess up his hair.

1 Like

I get people don’t like him, but that’s a shitty, entitled way to act towards someone you don know and who owes you nothing.

6 Likes

…which more or less describes the current crop of City fans.

2 Likes

Lad on the bike seems like a prick.

8 Likes

He definitely looks like pep but your right through. Lol.

City have just two preseason games lined up. Against Club America from Mexico and against Bayern.

Fingers crossed Mane kicks lumps out of them all! :wink: