Manchester City* - 130 charges (and counting...)

Can anyone give an update on their transfer plans?

Sterling as good as out. Will they replace him?

Will Bernardo stay?

Wasn’t it reported that Gündogan wants to leave?

What happened to their interest in Cucurella?

Any other positions they will try to bring in players for?

https://i.imgur.com/JEeX8Wf.gif

Pep delivering his pitch after a big weekend.

It’s been talked about multiple times.

I don’t think there’s a direct replacement for Sterling as such, he wasn’t a regular starter anymore anyway. Grealish and Foden will probably battle for that left side of attack. Remains to be seen which side of attack can Alvarez also cover, like Jesus did, as it looks like he will be with City this season (got a first team number, was announced, etc.). Some stats show that his secondary position is the right side of attack.

Bernardo looks like he will stay, remains to be seen what happens when/if Barca sell Frenkie, but with Pedri/Gavi, I somehow don’t think that will be an easy transfer. 3 years left on his deal. Barca seem more focused on trying to get Lewandowski and Raphinha if they can.

Gundogan is still there also, albeit with a year left. Maybe they will just continue until the end of his deal, I certainly don’t see them selling all; Gundogan, Silva, Sterling and Jesus (and not reacting if that happens).

Still interested in Cucurella and an offer is expected, also for a new CB when/if Ake is sold now.

There were rumours at the start of the summer that Zinchenko might leave, Arsenal were linked a little bit, but now it’s gone quiet so maybe he stays.

It’s expected that Steffen leaves somewhere on loan to get regular football (to prepare the WC) and they’ve signed Ortega as his replacement, at least for the coming season.

In so far: Ortega on a free, Haaland £54m, Phillips £43.8m. Alvarez is also in, but was signed in January.

Out so far: Fernandinho on a free, Jesus £47m, Porro £7.6m, Itakura £4.5m, Bazunu £12.6m, Lavia £11m, Gyabi £5.2m. Sterling and Ake to follow it seems.

Net spend so far: £9.9m.

Sales of Sterling and probably Ake to follow.

So far:

Ederson
Walker Dias Laporte Cancelo
DeBruyne Rodri Silva
Mahrez Haaland Grealish/Foden

Ortega
Walker/Cancelo Stones XXYY Cucurella/Zinchenko
Palmer Phillips Gundogan
XXYY Alvarez Foden/Grealish

So, there should be a CB signing if Ake leaves, at least it was reported so and we’ll see if there’s another forward signing or not, maybe they just use other players to cover Mahrez (maybe Alvarez, like Jesus did).

1 Like

I might be too optimistic here but in short term (for next season)

Sterling + Jesus + Fernandinho > Haaland, Alvarez, Phillips

With their former three players it worked. They came in and delivered.

The three new players might need time - especially Alvarez.

I mean same can be said for any clubs out-goings and in-comings? Might need time, might not be as good as the successful past players.

I’d also say that Phillips is better than Fernandinho (given his age etc). Haaland’s a good singing for them, might not hit the ground running, deffo better than Jesus, and I’d even go as far as saying Sterling. The only real question mark is Alvarez, and truth be told, it’s the unknowns and cheaper strikers that can actually be the read deal. I remember when we signed Carroll and a lad called Suarez.

Nothing wrong with optimism though.

Sterling was shocking for them for much of last season and fernandinho was their james milner. Jesus was a bit like dirk kuyt - scored some vita goals and worked hard but was never quite sure what his best position was.

They have done well in the market to get value for 2 of those players - sterling in his last year of his contract especially. I believe they are a far stronger team if haaland settles quickly - they create chances for fun.

They will sign another player or two i am convinced. When Aguero left all i heard was “they won’t score enough goals” " won’t win the league with no striker"
That turned out well. We have to expect an even better more ruthless Man City and rise to that.

This is key - if Haaland doesn’t settle quickly they’re in big trouble/

1 Like

they still won the league with no real central point up front. so like i say let’s just rise to the challenge again and hopefully go one better. they will still pass teams into submission.
I don’t like their financial dealings or the fog that surrounds them but i can’t deny they play some brilliant football.

1 Like

Doubt that Alvarez can come in and play as many games as Sterling or Jesus did.

Haaland has some injury problems regularly and that might not get better in England.

In my book they don’t have improved.

Playing devils advocate - have we improved?

1 Like

Mané + Origi + Taki ? Díaz + Nunez + Carvalho

Really not sure tbh but at least our three new players can easily cover the minutes of those who left.

1 Like

not sure if we have improved but you have definitely improved at playing devils advocate.

1 Like

If youre adding Diaz, then might as well add Grealish, whos been poor…so maybe we are better off.

Feeling bullish tbh…

Should twat these cunts by double figures.

step away from the bag of glue and put down the now empty yard glass that contained JD. :rofl:

He’s settled quickly wherever he’s gone, and scored bag fulls without the supply he’ll get at City. We’re up against it again (due to corrupt, sportwashing, vacuous cheats). Wishful thinking to suggest not. But sure makes it all the more special if we can overcome

1 Like

There are a couple of reasons to feel slightly optimistic about their signing Haaland - his patchy fitness record and the fact his style is completely at odds with how they’ve previously played under Pep… who I think has already intimated that he won’t be adapting to accommodate the player, rather it will need to be vice versa.

That said, I do expect quality to tell and for him to score a lot of goals for them. But his first season could be a case of having to adapt to a new way of playing (and standard of opposition), and if he gets a few niggling injuries that make him miss a bunch of games throughout the season it could hamper them slightly.

2 Likes

I couldn’t say if they have improved or not, but they are basically doubling down on Haaland working and staying injury free by selling Sterling and Jesus. That’s 5,500 minutes removed from the forward position and a big reduction on how much Pep can rotate the squad. Some of that slack will be made up by Grealish getting more time, sure, but he hasn’t replaced those minutes with Haaland and Alvarez.

I have a feeling they will add another body once Sterling is sold. We are talking about City here.

1 Like

Brady Bunch K GIF

6 Likes

City have also switched to a double pivot at times in recent two seasons.

Hence why Phillips will not be only a backup to Rodri for the single pivot role, but sometimes you could see both of them playing together (like Phillips does for England), with someone like Bruyne or Silva ahead in the #10 role.

And Silva can of course play in more roles than the #8 and #10.