Manchester City* - 130 charges (and counting...)

1 billion next year. Newcastle counter with 1.5.

Cunts

2 Likes
1 Like

my 11 week old baby just said his 1st words…

he said “cheating bastards” when the report about Man Cities revenues was on the news…

6 Likes

It took him 10.5 weeks to figure that out?

Sorry to say this, but your lad sounds a bit dim :wink:

3 Likes

His baby was just being polite.

2 Likes

Even if we believe the reported numbers - and I don’t, not for one second, it’s all on the back of years of cheating. The whole thing is illegitimate.

Here’s hoping they get relegated.

With the Abramovich news, and also the older Everton news about them being in a pickle, I half wonder if the authorities will do a job lot, and hit them all with a smattering of punishments, to look like they are running a competent organization, only for Man City, the punishment won’t be enough, but it will be somewhat lost in a sea of headlines about the game being cleaned up, and now we can all move on, when no such thing will have happened.

What incentive has the Premier League, an entity comprised of its member clubs, to bring substantial charges against City and then engineer a way to brush the punishment under the rug?

1 Like

my guess…

the twenty clubs have the right to vote i assume

the correlation of information, and investigation , and ultimately, the ‘framing of the question’ to be voted on will be organised by some kind of administration that may or may not have people that may or may not have an open mind to external factors…

I’ve never understood the cynicism either. If the Premier League were minded to brush off City’s cheating, they just wouldn’t have brought the charges in the first place.

1 Like

From this point the process is being handled by an independent panel.

I will try an answer. What incentive does the Premier League have?

The incentive is they want to stay in control of their own empire/league. There were whispers of government involvement, if they couldn’t run a tight ship. The Premier League will want to stave that off at all costs. It’s a nice gravy train for them.

To remain in control they will want to look strong. Hence the charges against Man City. 115 of them. Looks strong. But so far, nothing has happened with it. I think they are caught between a rock and a hard place, as Man City have more money and more lawyers, and will be an absolute pain in the arse to try to prosecute, as they’ve already adeptly shown.

So the Prem will want to punish them - somewhat - I.e. just enough so that they look strong, but not so much that Man City won’t take their medicine.

The outcome will be unsatisfactory in the extreme. Man City’s multiple year cheating will only result in a modest points deduction, maybe a transfer ban and fine too, but it will only derail them for one season, probably giving them a mid table finish and one year out of Europe. They won’t be relegated, and the points deduction won’t be enough to drop them down either.

They will have many years of winning trophies and building up a huge club on the back of illicit funding, and only one season of disruption to their whole scheme.

Man City will cry and complain, and say they are being picked on, but it will be a charade, as they will happily take the meager punishment the Prem dispenses.

The Prem will say they are not picking on Man City, and will point to action against Everton and Chelsea too (I’m assuming that will happen).

Man City get a relative slap on the wrist. They take it. The Prem looks strong, and they stave off government interference and continue to run their own lucrative enterprise, which is the incentive they have.

All of the above is pure speculation on my part.

Man City deserve relegation, and for every year they have benefitted from their cheating, the punishment should run for the same amount of years outside the big time.

I’m not holding my breath, but hopefully the Premier League punishes them more than I expect them to.

1 Like

Wild to increase your revenue 18-22% roughly and see your margin increase 200% YoY.

2 Likes

Sovereign wealth funds don’t want YOU to know this one weird trick.

1 Like

Plastic economics work miraculously.

It’s just clearly bullshit.

To my mind this is why the Everton ruling is really important.

City have already had a moan and effectively threatened the UK government over this I believe but the Everton ruling means that an overly soft punishment, if found guilty, is off the table. It will stink to high heaven and you’ll be tied up in a right mess unless there’s some proportionality with Everton.

The only way out is if they are found not guilty. And again that will stink.

Just my thinking to be honest. The Everton ruling demonstrates the PL are not taking the piss and will punish clubs accordingly.

2 Likes

Completely off topic but rewatching the 4-4 highlights and I just realised that Lee Dixon described Man City as “totally dominating possession” before saying that they have had 56%.

I know commentators love to build narratives around Guardiola and his possession football but fuck me that’s some next level exaggerating to claim that 56% is domination.

2 Likes

Was that 56% across the match and he made that comment during a period when they were dominating possession (ie late in the match)? Most Liv-City games seem to have see-sawing possession where each team dominates about half the match.

1 Like

He said it in the build up to Sterling’s goal

1 Like

Did I hear it right that Ederson has called it off for Brazil, claiming injury, so Alisson will travel half way around the world and bust a gut to get back for the early kick off, while Ederson will have his feet up and be well rested?

2 Likes