Manchester City* - 130 charges (and counting...)

That should change

2 Likes

PL could add a non-compete clause to their contract. simple solution to simple problem.

2 Likes

As someone who works in an industry with very strict perspectives on Conflicts of Interest it always confuses me how naive other industries can be about it. Regardless of whether the refs are allowed to take that work, the optics of taking money from the owner of one of the clubs their organization is responsible for officiating is absolutely terrible and it should have been a reflex to say no. The fact they didnt gives an indication of it being meaningful money and there is an entire library of literature on the unconscious effect this sort of money has on peopleā€™s subconscious decision making.

10 Likes

Ding ding ding! Exactly.

The integrity of the game should be better protected, and referees being above reproach in where they are allowed to earn their money is an easy one to solve.

4 Likes

Hate to say it, but pay these cunting refs more so that they donā€™t need to moonlight elsewhere, and end up in these situationā€™s where they are (gladly) taking money from clubs owners.

I assume that refereeā€™s are earning in a year what some footballers earn in a week in the PL.

1 Like

I would be fine with that.

1 Like

Itā€™s decent money, and any top tier ref is making more than enough to liver well. But money is weird and there is a range where you can be paid enough to get exposure to the nicer things in life, but not quite the salary to afford many of them. Like, you can afford dinner at that fancy restaurant, but you cannot go every week. That is the Itā€™s basically the prime zone for being corruptible and most top tier refs are smack bang in the middle of it.

I think main refs get a base of 70k that increases with seniority, plus a 1500 game fee. So a non elite ref might be getting somewhere around 125 a year. That is obviously very comfortable, but the amount youā€™d need to increase by to reduce their corruptibility is orders of magnitude.

4 Likes

Pay them more and you may get a better quality of referee, then the rewards would justify the abuse and having to put up with lying, cheating prima donnas, the exception being our players :slight_smile:

1 Like

English PL refs are already the best paid in the world. They donā€™t need some extra-bonuses coming from the Middle East in order to enjoy a good livelihood.

Edit: just saw @Limiescouse 's answer to your post. Completely agree with that.

3 Likes

I dont disagree with the fact they are well paid already. But the more you earn the more you want to earnā€¦and the (blue)moon lighting has to be stopped imo.

2 Likes

Getting rid of what is currently the closed shop with PL referees would be a start in my book. Lose Webb, make them accountable, properly assessed and regularly, remove all conflicts of interest, and add full clarity behind their decisions. Iā€™d also make it so the on field referee has the final say. VAR can advise, nothing more but that decision making process needs to be transparent.

I doubt many of the current crop would last long if they were all of a sudden held up for any poor performances and their decision making process 100% open for all to see.

5 Likes

Get more women involved too.

Why, do they need more tea ladiesā€¦ :innocent:

1 Like

Ooooh! Get ready for the backlash.

2 Likes

Taking these point by point

• The way UEFA and FIFA grade refs makes it pretty much impossible to not have a closed shop within each league. The best refs from other leagues wouldnt come here and risk their status in their own domestic organization and the UEFA/FIFA gigs that go with it.

• Webb has actually provided a much greater sense of accountability for poor performance in the PGMOL than in the past. The issue is less a lack of accountability (at least within the PGMOL) and more lack of alignment of what constitutes poor performance

• The on field already ref does have final say (with some exceptions for issues of fact like is the ball in or out). That is what the whole point of the pitchside monitor is.

2 Likes

:older_woman::older_woman::older_woman::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Some of us(females) donā€™t take offenceā€¦

3 Likes

??? is that because I can take a comment in jest.

:grin::grin::grin::grin:

a) Then there needs to be a universal standard by which all referees are judged.

b) Dont care, They are still unaccountable. How Hooper (for example) is still refereeing premier League games is absoutely beyond me.

c) Not so. VAR judges off side and the on field referee has no sight or ability to review that. Also, the process of where VAR checks decisions is a nod or otherwise. The on field referee is not part of that process. Similarly the officials on the side lines are not part of that process.

Welcome to hear suggestions on how to fix the shit show because this season I honestly cant be asked watching much of it at all. Through the officiating being useless or broken (dealers choice), Cityā€™s clear corruption and so on Iā€™ve honestly lost interest.

The whole show has gone completely stale.