Manchester City* - 130 charges (and counting...)

All these posts about waiting for City to be punished, it’s never happening, they are getting off with it etc.

Do you actually understand what they are accused of?

The Premier League has essentially accused them of fraud. This isn’t an Everton situation, where they breached limits, everyone accepts that it’s all very clear, and the only question is around the punishment.

Man City are charged with multiple counts of rigging their books, hiding payments, inflating sponsorships, and lying about their finances.

This is not easy stuff. It’s obviously taking a while. Personally I’m happy for the league to take however long it needs to nail these. Last thing we want is a botched process these lawyered up cunt can drive a coach and horses through.

3 Likes

That’s what we all want.
But lets be honest…

The guy that robs a fiver out the till gets a month in jail (Everton)
The guy that owns the company defrauds the taxman for millions and agrees a piecemeal payback (City).

As I said, I am despondent about them getting punished, of course I hope you are right

1 Like

I was trying to explain it to someone a couple of weeks ago, and the best analogy I managed to come up with was the police charging someone with shoplifting and the arresting officer being next to the theif watching them as the steal an item vs police investigating a case of multiple murders when no body has been found, but the suspect has been cought with various arms and legs of different victims.

One is a fairly simple case to prosecute as you’ve caught them in the act, the other is a lot harder due to the size and the fact that a lot of the evidence is missing

2 Likes

Agree with this.
Wanted them winning last night, because I dont have it in me to be sucked back into this title race.

Arsenal winning the league would be fucking unbearable, and it would only give more substance to Abu Dhabi defending themselves if 2 clubs had overcome them in the league.

Aside from the points we’ve had stolen from us this season, we catastrophically blew our chances by losing to Palace and the bitters.

We need to let that sink in!
Palace and fucking Everton.

Dont give a fuck if Abu Dhabi win the league now, because EVERYTHING they’ve won since 2008 has a massive asterisk beside it.

4 Likes

Exactly, well said. As another example in case, the Hillsborough tragedy should have learnt us everything we needed to know about politics and justice, and yet, there are still people pinning their hopes on ‘justice being done’. Good luck with that.

Or are we supposed to wait during 30 years as well until this case gets resolved one way or another? As it is sooo complicated, y’know?

I obviously hope to be wrong and to see these cheaters punished as they deserve, but I won’t hold my breath, as we probably won’t see it during our remaining lifetime, at least for the middle-aged among us in here…

2 Likes

No it isn’t and I’m actually well beyond giving a shit about the PL. It’s screwed.

1 Like

That’s the saddest part. I’ve run the permutations in my head so many times and ultimately determined I dont give a fuck. I will watch our games to see Klopp’s send off, but wont pay much attention to the title race itself. The only thing that will make me pay attention to the celebration of whomever wins will be if City does and it is as sad and pathetic as the pitch storming 2 seasons ago where they got onto the pitch, didnt know what to do, and then just stood around for 30 mins like they were waiting for a bus

4 Likes

This has to be a big concern for the Prem. They have allowed cheats to prosper, and now viewership and engagement is down across the board.

The sharp end of the season is a time for legends to be born and memories to be made.

But Man City’s achievements are being met with indifference, as everyone knows it is by foul means.

They can’t even fill their own stadium with legitimate fans. The tickets are probably being bought up in Abu Dhabi, so the income goes into the coffers, then they are offered for pennies around the universities.

Nobody cares. It’s a hollow, sham of a situation. And the Premier League simply must prevail against them.

3 Likes

Is it though? The US contract is the biggest one the league has outside of the domestic deal and figures here continue to trend up to the point that the Premier League is now arguably one of the US’ primary sports

1 Like

I just looked, and what I had heard appears to be untrue. A quick google search revealed that global viewership, and income for paying for rights for the Premier League, is all up.

One thing to watch out for is if Engagement in England with the Premier League might wane, as people are more in tune with the issues; but global engagement continues to rise.

I guess the PL looks at the revenue and if thats still going up do they care that maybe less people are watching?

Fir me it’s more than just City though. Throw in the refereeing issue’s, the inaccessibility of games along with the stupid cost of it all any interest i have is gone

I just think the PL product has become stale (being polite)

Edit. Just seen post above. What about uk figures?

I definitely think that is true. Maybe I’m just busier/more responsibilities, but I watch considerably fewer games today that dont involve us than I used to. And, importantly, I dont feel bad about it

1 Like
1 Like

Couldn’t agree more with this.

1 Like

Yup we are seeing something similar in the CL.

Just watching some stuff on Jeremy Doku. While I understand why people rate him so highly - the close control, the speed, the exciting style - it’s still true that the guy struggles with final product. Especially against elite teams.

This season he has 5 goals and 8 assists in 38 appearances for City (just under 2000 minutes played so 154 minutes per goal involvement) so basically the same as Cody Gakpo. Seems ok, especially for a 21 year old, but he did get 1 goal/4 assists in a 6-1 win at home to Bournemouth and 1 goal/1assist in a home win over Luton. Another goal came in a home win over Huddersfield in the FA Cup.

Just some interesting thoughts on a player who is routinely described in glowing terms.

1 Like

Front three of

Doku Nunez Jackson

:soccer::soccer::soccer:
:soccer::goal_net::soccer:
:soccer::soccer::soccer:

1 Like

He is a confusing purchase given they just spent 100m on a similar player in Grealish and then put massive effort into turning him into a basic bitch of a player, essentially breaking his spirit to drum all the individual attacking instincts out him. I get going back into the market for a replacement if they dont think Jack has worked out. But I dont understand going in for someone with pretty much the same traits they worked so hard to beat out of Jack

1 Like

Maybe Pep isn’t happy unless he has an extravagantly talented player to turn into a joyless cog in his football crushing machine?

2 Likes