Manchester City* - 130 charges (and counting...)

Haaland is nailed on now IMO

2 Likes

City have obviously been told Mbappé is coming to us.

1 Like

I think that they’ll go for Harry Kane before either Haaland or Mbappe

Harry Kane would be brilliant for Pep. Can foul with impunity. Match made in heaven.

5 Likes

What a player. He never frightened me as much as Henry, Drogba or Hazard when they played against Liverpool but his record at Man City is out of this world. Alongside Yaya Toure and David Silva, probably the player who was the most responsible for ushering Man City into an era of success and transforming them from nouveau riche to nouveau riche with trophies. The way he responded to Guardiola’s arrival speaks volumes about his quality, everyone assumed he would be too one-dimensional for his football but he buckled down and adapted, played some of the best football of his career. I hope they replace him with Benteke, though.

5 Likes

Having said that Haaland senior played for Man City didn’t he so it wouldn’t surprise me to see Haaland junior there.

Have to say the thought of Haaland or Mbappe going there is bad

1 Like

There are enough good players in the world for City to buy an awesome team, even if they don’t get Haaland or M’Bappe. We can’t worry about them getting footballers.

What are we meant to do? Buy them all?

2 Likes

What a good idea.

Maybe we should buy Mbappe and Haaland.

To be honest he has been great for them, so like losing Kompany it is no guarantee whoever replaces him will be up to that level.

Going be hard to be better than him isn’t it.

They already learned how to be without him this season

Jesus has gone more down the “working really hard and doing a lot of things right, but not being a great goalscorer” route.

Will be interesting to see who replaces him.

For all this Pep is stubborn talk, he actually tried to adapt a few times tactically and looking back, he maybe should’ve remained stubborn instead.

All his teams have the same principles, but all his teams are not the same when we get into details.

1 Like

Yeah but nothing about this season is normal, do you expect that Man City will be better with Haaland than they have been with Aguero. I don’t, reminds me of the Messi talk, these players are great but their is a ceiling at the end of the day.

In fact a lot of City’s success this season has been because they’ve been rock solid at the back, I haven’t watched them much but I assume they’ve concentrated more on that than in previous seasons. At one point you’d have a shot or two against City and come away with a win.

I think his importance there is a complicated topic. He is arguably the best player in absolute terms they’ve had in this era, but I dont think that is reflected in his importance to the team or their success. Due to his frequent injury absences, even in his prime, City had to find ways to win without him and they usually did. In 2013-14 they did so often enough to win a title despite him being unavailable for a large part of the season. If strikers like Negredo and Dzeko can score enough goals for you to win a title, is your striker really that important?

1 Like

Well, that does not depend only on 1 player or the main striker. What they’re doing this season is pretty impressive, to be in the hunt for 4 trophies still and it’s April. We all expected a much more tighter race or a champion with not so many points.

They must be doing something right when Aguero even if he’s returning from injury, it’s not like they’re crying out for him to return to the starting XI. He’s been a super player for them, no doubt. But maybe they’ve learned how to play without him and share the goals elsewhere.

On his replacement, we’ll see. Some unusual types were mentioned for a Pep team, but like I said, not every Pep team is the same when we get into details. It doesn’t always have to be a false 9, maybe this time they go for another proper 9 like Haaland.

For me, Silva was just about the most important player for them during that time. He glued all those pieces together. We can say Kompany, Yaya, Silva and Aguero were the main four. For me, Kompany was one of the most impressive captains I’ve seen recently.

They haven’t (directly) replaced Silva, Pep talked about this so far this season. We’ll see who they buy apart from a striker. I suspect it might be 3 players (just like us, one per line). A left back maybe, a midfielder and a striker.

3 Likes

Aguero has been a very good player indeed. Shame we didn’t bring him here when he was a kid and Rafa wanted to do the deal.

Man City will very likely sign a top, top striker to replace him, probably Haaland. FFP is relaxed, and even when it wasn’t, Man City just steamrollered over it anyway. Alf Inge Haaland played for Man City and this just looks like it will happen.

I really wanted Man City to get their comeuppance, but it didn’t work that way. I’m still gutted about that tbh. We work with restrictions. They do not. Therefore whatever they win is meaningless.

I just hope the CL remains as elusive as ever for them.

5 Likes
1 Like

I’d be gutted if they signed Haaland or Mbappe to be honest.

Grealish is a bit of a head scratcher at what would surely be a massive price tag. But Haaland is not surprising. Lukaku was a little surprise to me, when he was mentioned as one of the options, even with Pep not always buying or using the same type of striker. Haaland could well become the better version of Lukaku (simply gone too bulked up for his touch and back to goal game), let’s say.

Let’s face it: there is a big probability that exactly this will happen. Much more chances that it will be Haaland though. I still believe that Mbappe is Madrid-bound, this summer or the next.

Even though I’d love Mbappe here it has got Madrid written all over it hasn’t it