Manchester City* - 130 charges (and counting...)

Yeah, though Real are also probably working out if they can do the Mbappe deal this summer, even with him having a year left (and getting absolutely nothing from Hazard for a second season in a row and having to pay Bale for another year if they can’t find a solution elsewhere this summer where all 3 parties would share that financial burden). It’s a few top talents who are already top players of very close to it and a few clubs. Nothing new. I think Mbappe’s main wish was always Real. Haaland has his clause in the summer of 2022, but then there’s the factor that Dortmund are having a poor season like us and might need the money this summer. That could somewhat “ease” negotiations, different if they’d be in a position where Leipzig is, par example.

1 Like

Bet there are a few clubs who are wishing they pulled the trigger on Halaand before he went to Dortmund

As a supporter I am 110% in that camp

I don think the issue there was lack of willingness to pull the trigger, but more Halaand’s very pragmatic attitude about how to advance his career. The interesting thing is by this stage his career I didnt really see much reasonable room for improvement in Mbappe’s game. For him it was just about maintaining that form over the next 10 years. With Halaand, I do see those areas. For instance, despite how physical he is, he is relatively unimpressive in the air. He really could become a monster.

Yeah, but sometimes, some players struggle even in that period between a RB Salzburg and a Liverpool. I bet Haaland brought more attention on himself than let’s say Mane when he was at Salzburg. But it’s this Dortmund period which futher proved he could be ready immediately for the very top level. Maybe it was also a good decision for him to go to Dortmund first.

Paradoxically, it is actually a move that demonstrates supreme confidence in his ability that saw him pursue a stepping stone before a mega move. A lot of players who maybe we’re quite so confident would have pursued the big money move to lock down the big wages regardless of whether he was ready as a player. He has the advantage, presumably, of not having to worry about money, and so could take the step to focus on his development with confidence the Utds Citys and Reals would still be there in 18 or 30 months.

Compare that to, say, Luka Jović who thought he could make the step up to Real Madrid after having one great season at Frankfurt. Sure, representatives have a say in the decision making process of their clients but someone should have shown some common sense. Raiola is toxic but I think that his players, at least those famous ones, seem to be properly looked after.

Yeah, that’s kind of what I mean. Riola gets grief, but I’m sure part of his sell is genuine interest in protecting the player’s financial future - take the Real money now because you’re career could be over tomorrow with 1 bad tackle. I’m sure Halaand’s comfortable upbringing changed the equation for him. Kind of like a rich kid who can afford to take a year out to do a high profile unpaid internship that gives him connections he can monetize down the road.

Different player, but maybe like Bellingham.

Young kid, but a midfielder with enormous potential. Could have got a big move, say to Man Utd, but he felt his development would be better served to play and hone his craft at Dortmund, and presumably bigger clubs will still be there for him when it’s time to move on.

1 Like

Nobody in football trolls like him.

11 Likes

But I bet it won’t stop him from going out and spending his customery £200M on new full backs

11 Likes

They’re not buying a striker for ‘next’ season… they’re buying him for 5 seasons.

3 Likes

:joy:
Cheaty/Pep worried/bothered about player fees??? :roll_eyes:
It’s like Bolsonaro worried about deforestation. :smirk:

9 Likes

From the way he spoke about this today, I feel he was disappointed it came out publicly already and in the middle of them still being the hunt for all trophies. We’ll see.

1 Like

The Boris Johnson of football.

2 Likes

But without the hair.

4 Likes

And the mad Jack Russell

Although that cardigan could probably be trained, for a dog biscuit!

3 Likes

Best case for us is that Shitty buy a couple of forwards ill suited to their style, that cost big money and wages, and fail to adapt. A Paul Pogba type of signing is perfect.

A player they then have to loan out each season paying full wages to some club in Portugal such as Porto or Benfica. This club then goes on to knock Shitty out of the group stages of the Champions league with a hattrick from the said player.

2 Likes

I like your optimism Worgan!

2 Likes

Fucking shit club

2 Likes