Manchester City* - 130 charges (and counting...)

FIFY (ten characters)

1 Like

Hahaha

Endsleigh Division 3

2 Likes

Really? A man in “writing an articulate opinion on a topic on a football forum” shocker. Maybe we should just resort to posting gifs and one-liners all the time?

5 Likes

Come to think about it, what was it that attracted Guardiola to City in the first place? Their great support, their rich history or the wonderful weather?

He’s there only because he has access to a never-ending stream of money; both for himself and for any player he wants. He should just stop talking about it. Every time that he does his hypocrisy is seeping through.

9 Likes

I watched his post-match interview on Motd on Sunday. He couldn’t stay still for a second, was waggling around, just like cocaine addicts do.

He’s a good football coach without a doubt, but a sad individual in my book.

5 Likes

“Doth protest to much methinks”

1 Like

Ah I fucking hope these cunts lose on Saturday

2 Likes

He might be a good football coach, but it’s difficult to realistically assess the abilities of a man who only ever manages the biggest spenders in their leagues, i.e. Barcelona, Bayern Munich, shity.

How would he fare if that were not the case?

Let’s face it you’d have to be pretty shit not to win the odd league title after inheriting a team that had already cost the best part of £1 billion to assemble, and then going on to spend an additional £800 million in your five years at the club.

8 Likes

To be fair this argument can be made about every top tier football manager ever

Not really. Not every coach got their first job at Barca, inheriting a winning team or their 2nd at Bayern, inheriting a winning team. Or their 3rd at City inheriting a winning team.

3 Likes

This is his reply to why I think Pep isn’t the greatest manager ever but is an excellent, excellent coach if he has a shed load of money to spend. As well as Pep never having started a project even at a big/rich club.

QUOTE starts "I’m not counting domestic Super Cups (as I don’t count Charity Shields), but we can if you want. In that case, Pep has 5 more trophies than I give him credit for.

So far, I see Zidane as someone clever, calm, able to keep a dressing room like Real’s happy, shows he can rotate well players/systems. But to be fair, regardless of 9 trophies for Real and 2 league titles among it, not for one period did I think that Real side is outstanding in terms of how they perform. They remain a bunch of high quality individuals rather than a high quality team. I guess we’ll have to see more of him somewhere else. That question is for me more valid than for Pep when he was leaving Barca, although I was also very interested at the time what and how he does somewhere else next.

Trophies are important, but not the only important of course. I wrote a lot about Pep here in last days/weeks. It’s also a question mark that doesn’t exist anymore, which was maybe a hope for people who were/are Mourinho lovers but Pep haters (and again, I don’t see why we need to separate instead of saying that both are the most successful modern coaches). “Nice football, but doesn’t get you any trophies, or at least outside Barca/Spain/Germany/England
”. He’s highly influential with “his” (no, didn’t invent it, but mastered it, just like Klopp didn’t invent his style of football) football and brought his culture in all places he’s been. Sometimes more successful, sometimes less. But consistently well.

Sure, he didn’t takeover Liverpool’s 2015 team like Klopp, but to be precise, half of that City team was near it’s cycle or well finished when he took over. Their purchases improved a lot, even if he had people upstairs from Barca over there, they must’ve worked together. And a lot of those weren’t finished product players, though a lot of them were already very good. Fantastic talents and already of certain quality, yes. In full back areas he went a little bit against himself, proving that he’s not that stubborn, when maybe he should’ve been in that case. We had a lot more to sell, they had to move out some players who couldn’t generate much money anymore. We can’t deny that City is financially brilliant during that time and not only that, some strategically good decisions inside that club (we’ve seen other rich owners have money, but focus too much on spending it on top finished article players). Also some fishy stuff off the pitch in last years. But the profile of purchases is sometimes exaggerated in the context of time. A lot of those are made out like they were best players in their positions at the time, which is not really true.

Careful about the timing, okay, everyone naturally tries to be, how many times and how long can you be careful and lucky? As years go by and he remains probably the most wanted coach out there and successful, I think it will only prove that it takes a bit more than being careful about when to accept a certain job. You first have to be offered one. And then keep those jobs by providing almost constant success and keep attracting them. I don’t see a lot of other coaches doing the same. I’d like to, but I don’t, sorry. Others need time of course, I’m patient and willing to give them. I’m not trying to draw a line here, football goes on and opinions will change.

Take Ancelotti, par example, who we can say is in that company in last years. Highly successful, universally likeable (almost like Klopp). Yet, of his 15 major trophies, he only won 4 leagues in his career at the top level (so far). One with Milan, one with Chelsea, one with PSG, one with Bayern. He has managed some top clubs. And the league is the bread and butter for me and a lot of people. Yet, I don’t see a lot of people questioning that, like they do with Pep and the CL (I wonder what will be next when/if he wins it a few more times, probably his baldy head). Probably it’s because he’s good old grandpa Carlo (and I repeat, I like him very much, both as a character and manager). Conclusion? It’s maybe not that simple and easy?

I don’t think we can categorically say that Pep will not manage anything less than a top side. Sure, he said he doesn’t see himself very long in the game, but that can also change with time. Not long ago, we could’ve said the same about Mourinho. We’ve seen quite a few coaches who had their careers at one, a few or only at big clubs. What he is also though, he’s cynic and sarcastic. Not good in the media, I totally understand why he’s not likeable to a lot of people, but that part doesn’t interest me as much as on the pitch. He clearly doesn’t enjoy press conferences, especially when it’s the same old crap questions. He can’t hide it and is nowhere near able as Klopp (or Mourinho) to turn it into a 200mph humoristic monologue and leave journalists with no answers back.

I get your point, but to me that’s not fair enough towards Mourinho and Pep and the rest of similar calibre in any era. Why a bunch of other coaches failed before/after places they went and delivered? I love Rafa and perhaps he got the sack a bit too soon at Real (not the first one to do so), but can’t we admit that there were also probably a few good reasons to do it? Perhaps he wasn’t such a great candidate in the first place (after his latest stuff at Napoli at the time, it was like Real run out of options and just went “next, next, next”, Rafa was always going to get one chance), like he would’ve been maybe mid/end 00’s? Maybe his ceiling wasn’t as high as Jose’s or Pep’s? Absolutely no shame in that, if that’s the case. I’m not saying some place, somewhere, Rafa is able to coach and lead a top, top side to multiple titles. But perhaps he’s less able than some others and it’s not about “I want projects like Valencia, Liverpool and Napoli and never really wanted options like Inter, Chelsea and especially Real”. I don’t think it’s how it works, for me, that’s just fairy tales for kids. Rafa would probably stay 10 years at Real if he could’ve done. It’s his club. Probably start at Real when he worked alongside Del Bosque, like Pep at Barca. Who wouldn’t? But not everyone can. Football makes mistakes, but in the long run, quality prevails.

I think it’s natural that masses of fans care more about the “poor” and “oh, they’re not getting chances”, but the poor here aren’t poor in my books. Need to look somewhere else, much lower down the football pyramid, to have those battles if we need them. Some of those have been in the job for years and years and you only have a few who have really not only survived but provided at the very top level. A lot of the time a coach/manager doesn’t even have time to accomplish everything in all the top leagues. It’s just called circumstances. There are a thousand managers and a few elite/rich clubs. I have no doubt that there are a lot who could do a job and in different ways, but get overlooked. I just think what Pep did so far since his first day in the job and still doing is not normal, that doesn’t happen very often in football and I think it’s much more difficult a lot of people say. Yes, it’s also difficult in it’s own way on a different level for Dyche to keep Burnley up on peanuts.

Like I said, would Ferguson’s career at the end be much different if you erased his successes at Aberdeen? I bet you that more than half of football masses don’t even know what he did there. Perhaps that he ever was there. But regardless of that, although he’s another rare example that simply isn’t normal and who knows if it will be possible in the future, what else can we say about him without bias other than he was one of if not the best manager of his time and one of all times?

There are different difficulties, different levels and types of glories in football. I’m not saying we should only glorify the likes of Ferguson and Pep. I like someone like Bielsa par example, but maybe we also overrate him a little bit as a coach? Maybe the myth around the man is higher than his real capabilities? That would’ve brought him to a top side at some point in his career? I think so. Is he “loco” enough to keep rejecting them? With someone like him, maybe, just maybe, but during his whole career? Nah, I don’t think so. Then, why? Maybe he’s too radical for a top side? Probably. For the majority of things, I think there are good reasons why it happened and still happens and us fans sometimes out of boredoom and need for a story or conspiracy need to question absolutely everything or overdramatize. I don’t think it happens only in football, but the best are always zoomed in to the tiniest detail. Maybe another proof why they are among the best.
QUOTE finishes.

You call it an articulated opinion, I call it war and peace.

A man disagrees with another poster on a forum shocker. Perhaps less is more sometimes.

1 Like

Which ironically enough you just did.

It’s OK to disagree with someone but I find it childish to call them out for laying out their opinion in a detailed manner, especially when you’re new in town and they are not. You didn’t need to quote his whole post, by the way, as I’ve already read it. I disagree with Zoran’s opinion of Guardiola when it comes to finances as well but this place has always been welcome to hear different opinions - as long as it was respectful towards other. We admins intend to keep it that way.

Actually, it’s two lines on my PC’s monitor.

3 Likes

I know I didn’t need to quote it all. It’s called making a point.

It was a bit of irony saying war and peace but obviously lost.

And it was detailed I’ll give you that but it was all over the show, meandering in to different topics (just my opinion of course).

And using the new in town vs old timer argument, really?

1 Like

Yeah, really. When in Rome, be respectful and all that, I honestly don’t think it’s too much to ask.

4 Likes

This is not a winning team. They were further away from winning at that time than the current side is and I think the job of turning that around was arguably bigger than the current one given the status of the players the side had been built around who were no longer performing.

1 Like

Dog with a bone and mountain out of a molehill are the sayings that come to mind.

The Anfield Noise is new. So we’re all newcomers to this particular forum.

I can think Zoran can argue his own points pretty good, not sure he needs a bodyguard.

And wow, me commenting on the lack of brevity with regard to his posts about his love for Pep’s guide on how to be an amazing coach on a shoestring by saying ‘war and peace’ is disrespectful? Well I can’t really write what I think about that in this wimpy PC society.

Sort of. The precursor to Anfield Noise was the Forum on This is Anfield. While this forum is new, a lot of people here have known each other for many years.

My own opinion on Pep is that he is very good at what he does, albeit what he does needs someone to throw a shit load of money at him.

Could he do the job Moyes has done at West Ham? Probably not, but then Moyes couldn’t do the job that Pep has done at City, and we know that because when Moyes had a job like that he made a right fucking mess of it.

So I don’t agree with a lot of what Zoran says, but attacking him rather than his opinion, and making cheap digs about the length of his post isn’t a good look, and you did ought to have a think about this, cos that’s two admins now that have told you you’re out of line.

2 Likes

In fairness to Moyes, he did have Ed Woodward as his boss, so you could say he was operating with both hands tied behind his back.

2 Likes

Real Madrid won the league in the 02-03 season

Barca won the league in 04-05 & 05-06 and the Champions league 05-06 season.

Real Madrid won the league in the 06-07 & 07-08 seasons.

Who won the league in the 03-04 season? Neither Barca or Real. Which was very rare as in total

Real Madrid = 34 times
Barcelona = 26 times.

Next comes AM = 11 times.

Almost as if that league is a 2 horse race.

Barca’s 2007 team most appearances:
Valdes, Zambrotta, Puyol, Abidal, Milito, Xabi, Iniesta, Yaya TourĂ©, Terry Henry, Messi and Et’o.
Subs bench: Deco, Ronaldinho, Thuram etc.

Yeah poor Pep! What a crap team he had to start with.