Manchester City* - vile, cheating oxygen thieves

This is what happened to Rangers. The Scottish league did agree to take them on at the lowest national level (4th tier). They did find their way back fairly rapidly (they missed promotion one year) but only have one league title and a decent European run to show for it and that was with a very large supporter base remaining faithful.

Maybe Blueshite lawyer selection was as good as their player recruitment.

UEFA tried with City. They surely had more motivation than the PL. But Cityā€™s lawyers delayed long enough to kill it

I donā€™t know. Juventus and Marseilles were stripped off their titles, did it hurt the standings of the Italian and French leagues? Yes, those two leagues have deteriorated since, but not due to those decisions.

In any case, Iā€™m not even talking about stripping the Cheaters off their titles. I think the league wonā€™t suffer if the Cheaters get harshly punished. The PL is mostly concerned about the global audience and thatā€™s still fueled by traditional clubs like Arsenal, Liverpool, United, and etc.

He is the same guy who tried to challenge the Rwanda ruling for Rishi. Then again I rate him for just taking that on for the cash.

There is no doubt that Serie A were badly damaged by Calciopoli, and at a critical time. Serie A had been the most progressive in terms of looking at TV models that could close the gap on the PL. Before Calciopoli, they were the 2nd highest revenue league in Europe, after the PL. Income for Serie A dropped 19% in the aftermath of Calciopoli, and the TV rights in that period had zero growth in the 2006-10 period. Serie A was left as the 4th highest revenue league in Europe. They have managed to return to growth, but for them to level off while the PL was entering a new era of stratospheric growth was devastating.

Hasnā€™t Serie A suffered massively with game attendance as well? Not sure if that 19% drop is somehow related to that, or completely down to the Juve scandal on its own.

I see the PL having a choice. They clamp down on it hard now (already too late maybe) or they just let it run and let state owned clubs become a thing for those oil states or whatever.

I think theyā€™ve set their stall out with the Everton ruling.

Serie A match attendance started into a decline at that time, yes, although it was actually worse from 2010 forward.

1 Like

Serie A in the 00s was the Liverpool of the late 80s. Still competitive based on momentum, but as the game was modernizing they were stuck in the old way of doing things and unwilling to adapt. I think a big part of it was the owners of the big clubs - they were powerful enough to ward off interest in the outside money coming into the game, but not quite capable enough to compete with its impact once it went into other clubs. With that went a divergence of tv money revenue resulting in a double whammy. For a decade they still tried to keep up in spending, but in a way that was not sustainable and by the end of the Mourinho era at Inter all the Italian clubs were financially on their arse (Juve just wouldnt admit for another 4-5 years)

One of the most obvious things is the stadiums are dated and those that have been done up (or newly built) are small. Juventus lost nearly 30000 seats when moving from Del Alpi to the new Juventus stadium. The San Siro is in worse shape than old trafford and I donā€™t think has had any significant modernization done to it since Van Basten was in his prime. There are definitely a lot of factors involved, but fans have been given an increasingly worse product and responded accordingly

1 Like

Calciopoli isnā€™t the only reason for Serie Aā€™s decline though. All the stadia were already old and outdated. The football was horrible to watch, there was violence on and around the pitch, and soon, the best players started looking elsewhere for the development of their careers. It was rather the last nail put into an already waiting coffin. (edit: hadnā€™t seen Limiescouseā€™s post above mine. :+1:)

Iā€™m not sure that this is about clamping down on state owned clubs. Everton for instance arenā€™t state-owned. Itā€™s about clamping down on cheating. The thing is, Abu Dhabi are much bigger fish to fry than the Everton owner.

I see that Everton will appeal the decision. There is thus a possibility of appealing.

Are the points reinstated while the appeal is ongoing or are the points only readjusted after an appeal is successful?

No idea to be honest. The article doesnā€™t explain it.

Yes, but importantly not to CAS.

3 Likes

that this author has missed the whole Roberto Mancini payment emails which are out there in black & white for the whole world to see. wow. just bury your head in the sandā€¦

2 Likes

Looks like he is trying to screw themā€¦isnā€™t that how heā€¦oh never mind.

But few teams are going to break into that small group, but will benefit from City overpaying for players

I think most of their recruitments have come from outside the league.

Yes, but they have still spent large sums in England, which itself feeds into higher spending by other clubs too.

Most clubs have a better chance of selling a player than they do winning silverware.

1 Like