Michael Edwards

Edward’s is being linked with Newcastle.

Everybody who can walk is.

1 Like

Yes I recall some comments about him on this forum and that he’s not all that. I know nothing about him. As expected, some articles surfacing about who he is;

1 Like

I think a key part is Gordon isn’t going anywhere, he is a huge part of everything. It was he who smoothed it over with Southampton after Werner was giving it large when pissed for example.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t lose too much sleep over it. This isn’t a quick-fire move. Edwards must have announced his departure since quite some time, hence Ward working as his understudy since a year already, and will do for a further seven or eight months.

Also, Gordon is an absolute key cog upstairs, even more so than Edwards. He’s the man who appointed the latter in the first place, and I can remember quite many voices at the time, putting this choice in doubt (a glorified scout, hasn’t the shoulders for the job etc.).

I’m sure that Klopp and co. feel comfortable with Gordon’s new choice, because he wouldn’t have made it without their assent.

6 Likes

Fallows and Hunter will still be there too, hopefully they can pick up whatever slack there may be while Ward grows into the role.

Not gonna lie, though, Edwards going does concern me.

4 Likes

I’ll be concerned if he goes to Cheaty, Chelsea, the red mancs or the Saudi-barcodes. If he moves abroad, good luck to him.

1 Like

I’m not concerned over any of his next moves, not a guarantee that the whole end result of group work is the same as it was here with us. We know too little about these behind the scenes operations. Obviously judging from all accounts he was successful pretty important (I still have Klopp comfortably as the most important factor in his time here). But I also think his cult grew with time and there was sort of a god-like myth about him also.

I guess there’s really nothing to say other than thanks for the effort and good work, good luck and just wait and see how we move forward. Not only with this role, but then lower, contracts, transfers, potential Klopp departure in 2-3 years, etc.

6 Likes

Wouldn’t surprise if he moves sports completely he would move to a direct competitor I wouldn’t think as for knowing what others are like.

No one really knows and Gordon is staying which is important.

As for everyone who can leave is, sort of ignores Klopp.

3 Likes

I’d love it if Edwards moved to the PFA or FifPro. They’re massively in need of sorting out and he’d definitely do that.

6 Likes

tl;dr: “You’ll be reet, thanks a lot, see you later.”

I like that he paid homage to his (deliberately-under-the-radar) persona and quips. I personally thought he was a robot. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

The timing of it is a bit concerning.

This summer we could feasibly see us in a position where all of the front three plus Naby and Ox have just one year left on their contracts. Part of me thinks if Salah signs we’ll have to move one of the others on, probably Mane.

Then there’s a bit of work to be done in centre mid with Milner out of contract and decisions to be made on Ox and Naby.

It’s potentially quite a big summer coming up and the start of building the next team. A big job for someone in their first season at the helm.

2 Likes

I suspect not as big as you are fearing. Edwards was just one of a team of people. His replacement has been working with him for quite some time now, and there is a good chance the deals they are looking at getting done in Winter/summer will already have most of the groundwork laid.

1 Like

I’d have thought that Mikey will have done at least 99% of the work before he leaves. He’s not just going to throw his successor in at the deep end.

1 Like

Agent Edwards
Agent Rafa
Agent Gerrard

All coming together

1 Like

I can’t imagine that this isn’t already significantly progressed with Edwards still very much involved up to now.

I wonder at the timing of the letter to the fans though. It is worded as a goodbye, not a “I’ll be off in the summer” to end speculation.

Quite possible he may now be on gardening leave from this point, given the announcement. Hopefully that’s a reflection that everything is in order. He’s always struck me as wholly professional so I’m sure he’ll want to make sure that he leaves everything as good as it can be.

3 Likes

Will Edwards give Gordon his little black book is the question I have. You know the book with the phone records and internet history of all the other football directors

With a foreword by Macedonian Red.

2 Likes

How come mate? Haven’t really got a clue about most of the backroom staff.