Michael Edwards

Yeah, the different structures that exist make between club comparisons in roles tough, but it seems that Gordon is probably the best analogue for the role that Granovskaia played. Given Gordon is actually an owners, it is difficult to see where else Edwards’ career could have gone at Liverpool. At Chelsea he could rise as far as the person who sits directly under an owner, if that is what he wanted.

1 Like

Oh, the match up we’ve all wanted to see…

The Master vs the Apprentice - winner takes the coverted leather chair in the boardroom.

3 Likes

Rumours about him close to joining United. Hope they are rumours and nothing more :frowning:

If this happens it will be rather painful.

1 Like

I’d be gutted, especially as I think we’ve regresses since he left.

Correlation does not imply causation.

5 Likes

Larry, you are so contrary!
You make me upset.
If I say, “I am starving now”,
you’re not hungry yet.
If I would like some quiet time.
You go get your drum.
If all I have is candy bars,
all you want is gum.

Larry, you are so contrary!
You drive me insane.
If I say, “I love sunny days”,
you say you love the rain.

We can’t ask him to come back can we?

2 Likes
6 Likes

Getting the band back together but as guns for hire. Mixing my metaphors I think but safe to say it puts to bed any thoughts of us getting him back full time.

https://twitter.com/David_Ornstein/status/1699816101062815820?s=20

I would imagine we will spend a fair amount of money on his services over the next few years though…

1 Like

Only negative is they can work for anyone I presume and won’t hold loyalty. Surely they will have us, and say United having the same targets and bidding on same players.

Seems like a great danger of conflicts of interest.

2 Likes

Yeah I fail to see how they could operate as unilaterally as if they represented one club. Certainly can’t provide the kind of direct player acquisition services like they did when they works for us

They’re not going to be freelance directors of football, they’re going to offer consultancy services to sports teams looking to build and integrate data science programs. Sold on the reputation/track record of being the best to do it.

It sounds very much like the minutiae of signing X player for Y transfer fee and Z wages is not the part they find compelling. (And that’s before we even get to the point that performance analysis is not all about transfers.)

2 Likes

Yeah, this is a lot more nuanced that these lads just being scouts for hire who provide a list of names for clubs to try to buy, and then provide the same names to every club. And even if their main contribution was the help identify the best targets for a club, the model wouldn’t necessarily identify the same players for different clubs.

It does raise an interesting question on who “owns” Graham’s model? I assume Liverpool do due tot he nature of how IP developed under salaried employment tends to be viewed legally. But it’s interesting that they feel even after leaving they have something they can sell.

1 Like

I would imagine it’s about building the process rather than using the models/IP developed.

Yeah, I use “model” very loosely as even with us there is no single model. Just a model based approach for addressing issues. Maybe that, how you go from identifying a question to building the right model, is not considered IP, but could conceivably be a pretty contentious issue.

But we dont even know what their services are going to be so it’s all incredibly speculative, I just thought it was an interesting wrinkle.

1 Like