Michael Edwards

He’s already done the Konate deal, instead of talking to any journalist about what deals they will do (Looks at Man Utd).

1 Like

It is really difficult for youths to make it through big clubs nowadays. Firstly, fans are impatient. They don’t want to hear how clubs want to be patient and wait years to develop potential but want clubs to spend and buy solutions. As such, if you spend 40mil on a read made solution, how often would a 18 year old youth player get a chance?

Secondly, nowadays you probably have to be damn good at the very first instance, and I mean not just very good but damn good. Look at some of the youths we had, like Wilson, like Brewster etc…they are pretty good aint they…but they are just not that good enough for us… or maybe refer to first point, would they have become damn good if they were given chances and time? Nobody will know.

Thirdly, sometimes you just have to be lucky and then grab that chance with both legs. TAA is one such good example. He was thrown into the first team because of injury problems and he just never looked back. Top 5 RB in the world, if not the best.

I would definitely want our club to be a hybrid, to buy solutions only when there is really nothing good enough within the squad. I think fans keep forgetting. You pay good money for great manager and coaching team to shape the squad into a world class one. You did not pay those money and then spend alot more to get players in and the coaching team become like facilitators.

5 Likes

It’s been 20 days :smirk:

Do you suppose he has put me in the ignore list? :thinking:

3 Likes

No, I think he has not moved over from Tia forum.

1 Like

Maybe he is moonlighting at some other club! :thinking:

1 Like

This guy has done nothing recently, not earring his paycheque. His promotion should have been heavily bonus incentivized. Needs to step up ASAP.

Wonder if he ever needs to play this in his car on the way to his office :0)

1 Like

I honestly believe that the question should be ‘why aren’t you spending the money Michael’

1 Like

Excellent, I love this! :laughing::+1:t2:

From the Athletic:

Liverpool sporting director Michael Edwards is expected to step down from his position after the current season following a hugely successful period with the Anfield club.

Edwards’ existing contract is scheduled to end next summer and he is believed to have informed the Liverpool hierarchy of his intention to move on, although the situation has yet to be finalised.

Amicable discussions are thought to have been happening internally for some time and while it is not beyond the realms of possibility that Edwards signs a new deal, the anticipation is he will exit. No other teams are said to be involved in the decision and Liverpool would still find themselves in good shape, having promoted Julian Ward to the role of assistant sporting director last December.

Ward is highly regarded in the game and has become an increasingly visible and influential figure at Liverpool, working alongside the likes of Edwards, manager Jurgen Klopp and recruitment staff.

But the departure of Edwards would arrive as a surprise to many, given his emergence as such an important figure since joining Liverpool in November 2011 as head of performance and analysis. He progressed to director of technical performance and then technical director before the post as sporting director, which Edwards has occupied since November 2016 to no shortage of acclaim.

Judging by the lack of transfer activity, he’s already on the beach.

Edwards out!!!

3 Likes

Madrid want him apparently.

1 Like

For fucks sake, whole article means nothing if they stick this line in there to hedge their bets.

8 Likes

Well it’s riled up all the twitter twats - FSGout trending again. Stupid fuckwit fans.

2 Likes

Julian Ward is gash. Man responsible for the likes of Markovic, Moreno and Aspas.

and he is still here :flushed:

2 Likes

Yeah, he got moved away from scouting and made responsible for managing player pathways - ie, loans. I’d argue he’s been no more successful in that role either. Still, must have something about him to have been kept around but personally I don’t rate him.

Yeah, he has been here since 2012. Don’t think we have any senior executives serving for that long.

1 Like

There will be a lot more of them if we end up the season with one transfer, no trophies and no Edwards. Questions will be asked.

If I were FSG, my second priority after Klopp would be extending Edwards’ deal.

5 Likes

Maybe Edwards is just getting bored. Can’t be much fun in his role if we never buy anyone.

“Here are the profiles of 10 midfielders we could sign to replace Gini. I’ve analysed them all, ranked them via 27 systems of metrics to ascertain their viability and potential development”

“Nah, we’ll just move Elliott back in the midfield”

3 Likes