Money, Investments and the Economy

Maybe a little, but not enough to see it in our domestic pricing - the LNG market operates somewhat independently of the Henry Hub market in North America, because fundamentally the LNG market is one that works by buying natural gas at HH prices and selling at a premium. Exports are less than 8% total market volume. If you compare LNG prices to Henry Hub (imperfect, because the Mcf to MMBtu ratio means the pricing is 1.037), LNG is around $12.65 (year end 2022), Henry Hub was around $5.50. In most of North America, we are paying Henry Hub +/- a few basis points, in BC almost invariably a few less.

tldr: you are already getting cheaper gas

2 Likes

not sure where to put this. seems more appropriate here than in the Russia War thread

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1638250268214063105

At some point the Russian oligarchs are going to be deeply unhappy at the future of the Russia they thought they controlled having been mortgaged.

1 Like

Soooā€¦that purchase of twitter seems to have gone well! Just read a headline that Musk is offering stock options to staff that would currently value it at around Ā£20bn.

2 Likes

So China and Russia just rarified some deals where China will be Russiaā€™s #1 trade partner, and will use the Ruble in exchange with Chinese yuan

I just saw this.

So, if the Yuan is suddenly one of the strongest currencies in the world where does that put the west? Are we seeing a global financial shift right now?

Asking because I really donā€™t know how these markets work

We will see how it sticks, but it actually doesnā€™t affect the West as a whole very much, as against the US. Oil sales are de facto converted to Euros in the European market, yuan in the Chinese, so the actual flows would not be that different.

What it does to is wear away at the enormous value that the US gets from controlling the dominant global reserve currency. That shift is seen as overdue by some, the actual foundations of that dominance are much weaker than they were 50 years ago. The emergence of the yuan and the Euro has given central banks alternatives other than just gold, and US management of their currency over the past 14 years has eroded confidence in USD. There is a great deal of that premium that now rests on the lingering lack of an alternative.

That said, I donā€™t think this is going to actually happen - looks more like a Saudi pressure tactic

I also saw something the other day, mentioning that Ghaddafi and a group of other African leaders were trying to start their own bank and base their currency off the value of the minerals being mined on the continent. Truth to this, or just a conspiracy theory.

Not sure about that, but it does ring some familirarity, I remember reading something a few years ago about the only countries that refused to link their currency to the USD were Libya, Nth Korea, Iran and Iraq which is why the US were so keen to crush each of them either with sanctions or through military conquest.

It could easily be anti US biased B/S or it could hold some truth to it, who knows

How real it was I dont know, but it was definitely a widely reported story. It has been used by many as an explanation for the USā€™ willingness to see him removed, but the stories significantly predate the arab spring.

What does it even mean to ā€œlink their currency to the USDā€?

It was that long ago, I canā€™t even remember the full gust of the article, so could very easily be using the wrong phrase. But if I remember it correctly, every other nation apart from those 4 had some link or backing to the USD which is why the US were always at some sort of war with those 4 countries

Related to this, but I dont fully understand the implications of this and central banking

1 Like

Dropped into a Cineworld investors thread this week following the recent talk of bankruptcy and take overs. Not as busy as it was 7-8 months ago. Amazed there are still some people on there who say they are still buying the shares and will not accept shareholders will be wiped out with nothing even though the company statements basically say that is what is going to happen.

2 guys said they sold up and lost a lot of cash but accept it was their own fault (one had invested over Ā£100k and was left with Ā£10k, another had blown Ā£20k some of which came from selling other stocks so he could buy the dipā€¦ A third guy said he had spent the last two years frantically buying and selling the stock repatedly to try to make up for his losses. Over that period and Ā£90k of capital he was now walking away with just Ā£300 profit.

Interest piece in WAPO talking about this very issue

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2023/04/23/ceo-bonuses-bank-regulations/

Federal banking regulators were told that it created dangerous incentives to allow bankers to be compensated in stock that they could sell while in their position. It incentives short term profits even if you know it is driving the company off a cliff. New rules were recommended to them, in line with their post-2008 crash powers, to require stock to be held for up to 3 years after leaving before they could sell. They just never acted on it.

Semi related - Bed Bath and Beyond finally call it a day
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2023/04/23/bed-bath-beyond-bankruptcy/

Among itā€™s many missteps was a stock buy back at a time when they needed investment and so we now find ourselves with an American institution going under and the guy who was at the wheel when it happened walking away with a big pay off for the decisions he made that benefited him rather than the company.

1 Like

Lots of people on etoro been pushing it as the next Game, but something for me never added up - not sure what but glad I decided to listen to my gut on this one.

1 Like

this seems relevant

lots of side stories to this.

1 Like

Probably explains his selling down of BDY since last summer too?

1 Like

in a time when thereā€™s an available housing shortage, and 30% of office space is emptyā€¦

start the conversions over to residential.

2 Likes

Whilst I agree in principal, sadly itā€™s not that simple to switch so many commercial offices into residential (or even a % of them).

Is there the medical and health services in place to cope with the extra number of residents? Education (many of the new residential places will no doubt be designed for families with kids)? What employment opportunites are there (yes, a lot of people can now work from home, but that is not something that works in every industry or job role)?

Or are you happy for people to be dumped in inner city buildings with no plan and have these cities turn into largescale slums?