Nathaniel PHILLIPS: 2021/22 (on loan at Bournemouth)

Think he would suit some of the PL teams that defend deep and/or play 3 at the back. Could also be a good addition to teams getting promoted to the PL - doesn’t mean he would be a clear starter at all those clubs.

Won’t have a career like Coady or Mikel San José but he is clearly better than Martin Kelly or Andre Wisdom.

1 Like

Martin Kelly’s played over 150 PL games. I’ll be surprised if Phillips plays half that amount.

3 Likes

Martin Kelly was far more talented than Phillips, he just suffered incredibly debilitating back and knee injuries.

Even with those injuries it’s doubtful Phillips will get anywhere close to playing as much top level footy as Kelly.

6 Likes

I think he’s one of those who will disappear from the radar in the next years. Maybe a bit like Kevin Stewart. Fans will always like those stories and rightly so, but that’s not the quality for us. In fact, we can all take examples and go back to some players we thought had a future here or at slightly lower level and then completely dropped into the unknown, on the prelims.

1 Like

Pacheco broke my heart!

1 Like

Pancheo always seemed to wear shirts seven sizes too big for him.

4 Likes

I’m surprised about the general negativity regarding this lad, considering the fine performances he has delivered for us so far.

What exactly allows people on here to say that moving forward, he hasn’t the required standard as a back-up CB? I understand that Klopp calls the shots, and if he deems him not good enough when summer comes, and moves him on, then I’ll accept it of course.

But really, for the time being, he has been excellent since coming into the first team. Or am I deluded and has he not?

2 Likes

His use has been extremely limited against select opponents were the risk of him being exposed for his deficiencies is at its lowest. He’s then done an admirable, no nonsense, simplistic job whilst his CB partner does anything more technical. He’s physically robust, simple/direct on the ball but better than some and he’s good in the air. His technical capabilities aren’t really that great and unlikely to get better. His speed would be a massive vulnerability to us against some opposition and his turning circle/mobility could be a real issue against more nimble footed forwards able to change direction etc. Well. Love how he hasn’t let us down but he’s not for the future except as an emergency cover and he’s a bit old to be that. He probably wouldn’t sign a contract extension under that understanding unless we pay him better than he’d get elsewhere too. Contract is up in summer and he can walk away head held high after doing a job for us and getting some good memories. He’ll have a pick of clubs at a higher level than would have previously been interested in him too.

2 Likes

For me he ticks all the boxes for a 6/7 choice CB which is what we are down to. A bit like Klavan no nonsense defending (not as good but similarities there). Not really agile enough for us in the long run however under the circumstances that we have been exposed to I really don’t get the criticism like you.
We know he’s off in the summer and I wish him well (would be a good addition to some championship squads).

1 Like

I keep reading this, but he played 180 minutes against Tottenham and West Ham, and did well against the likes of Son and Antonio, who were clearly trying to target him as the weak spot. It never worked out for them. Both these strikers are extremely fast and mobile. So, I must be missing something regarding his so-called limitations, lower league quality etc.

Again, I’m not saying that he’s the ideal long-term solution for us at CB in a high defensive line, and anyway, it’s up to Klopp to make that decision. But I question claims on here saying that he won’t cut it at PL level because of lack of talent, mobility or whatever. He has already shown that he can come out on top against quality strikers.

8 Likes

I think the problem is that there is a way Jurgen wants the defence to play, and Nat can’t do it.

It’s true that he hasn’t let anyone down, but it’s also true that we’ve to sacrifice a lot of our team identity to give him the chance to not let anyone down.

For example, we’ve seen less from Trent, because he’s much warier of venture forward and leaving Nat exposed. The midfield have had to get closer to him, and the whole line is pulled back because he can’t recover from a ball over the top.

He also lacks the ability to start attacks in the way Gomez, Matip and Van Dijk do (Rhys is a bit better at this)

Klopp asks a lot of his defenderS - they need to cover huge spaces, be comfortable one on one, have pace to track runners, and pass the ball accurately from the back. With the best will in the world, this isn’t Nat.

2 Likes

There is also the fact that, at 23, he deserves more than being our 5/6 choice centre back. He should be dropping a level to establish himself.

4 Likes

I think he’s a good defender, limited technically yes also not mobile enough to mark closely the better more agile attackers however he seems aware of this and keeps the required distance most of the time. He’ll have a resonable career imo.

2 Likes

That happened as soon as VVD was out and on Robbo’s side as well whoever was playing at CB.
It’s obvious Klopp doesn’t like him that’s all I can say but why I just don’t know.

2 Likes

You can’t have half the defensive line playing a high line and half not. It’s all or nothing. When Phillips plays he is protected in a way that allows him to shine but as @Mascot says that stunts our play in other ways. It’s fine, he’s only used in emergency situations anyway and it’s OK changing your tactics a bit when in emergency situations. But if we try and replicate how we play with VvD and Gomez with Phillips as one of the CBs we are screwed. Both CBs we brought in during January came with reputations of being quick and mobile (hopefully Kabak shows it a bit better in future games) and that’s not an accident.

Would have no problem playing him against Calvert-Levin at the weekend.

I’m still waiting for him to bring the ball forward into the opposition half and casually stroke it into the corner of the net from 30 yards as I saw him do for the youth team a few years ago…

Go on Nat, you know you want to.

1 Like

Thing is, he’s not only playing against Calvert-Lewin. They could stick Richarlison in that channel between Trent and whoever our RCB is. It’s really a position we have to improve next summer.

4 Likes

I haven’t a clue if your disagreeing with me or agreeing with me.
Did you see where TAA was going when we played Kabak?
Did you watch the games when Phillips wasn’t playing?
Our TAA and Robbo outlets have been stunted since VVD went out.
What are you on about?

They’re more stunted when Phillips plays.

2 Likes