Russian War Crimes (Part 2)

Well there are a few factors.Phasing out nuclear before end of reactor live and not investing enough in renewables (I think they only account for half of electricity generation at the moment) All of this was relying on a benign supplier.

1 Like

Yes, I don’t blame them to try to break free from nuclear power, as relying on this form of energy is like a permanent, gigantic Damocles sword over our heads. To be fair, your country invested a lot in renewables too, compared to other countries , so it’s not as if nothing had been done.

But relying on Russian gas was a political mistake nevertheless. Never put your eggs in one single basket etc.

1 Like

3 Likes

pretty serious situation they’re finding themselves in, with Russia playing the long game on their energy systems. it’s going to escalate fairly soon.

Do we ever get to the point where NATO / the West decide to act to avert an humanitarian disaster , i.e. stop these attacks by whatever means necessary , or is this destruction allowed to continue unabated ?

(The Pope yesterday made reference to The Holdomor. As welcome as that is , it’s still not going to deter Putin.)

2 Likes

It’s a difficult one. NATO did intervene, eventually, in Bosnia and Kosovo but these took time and they didn’t go in all guns blazing. There have been other missions since which I think are generally regarded as ill-conceived scope-creep.

The question is what could they do that would help from a humanitarian perspective that would not be seen as direct involvement and an escalation in the war. Missile defence over cities would certainly be one area but they have been pretty much supplying equipment to do this anyway.

1 Like

I know mate , it’s really just wishful thinking on my part. I suppose the best we can hope for is that the weapons that the Ukranians have been beseeching are more quickly expedited in the light of these attacks , and that hastens a decisive victory on the battlefield.

If I’m not mistaken I think Zelensky has managed to secure an emergency UN meeting to discuss these most recent developments. Hopefully some kind of communique might serve to focus minds and encourage more weapon transfers.

2 Likes

Think Zelensky needs to not bite the hands that feed

2 Likes
5 Likes

look at the colors of the folders on the desk

4 Likes

4 Likes

I watched that last night. Russia’s plan is so fucking dirty but it’ll work. They’re not just weakening the UA military but the entire country’s infrastructure. trying to raze the country to the ground and then once there’s nothing left standing the orcs will try to run over what’s remaining

Ukraine has shown great resiliency for the last 9months but I don’t know how they’ll get through this winter at the current rate of destruction. At some point, EU or NATO or G7 are going to have to step in and put a stop to this bombardment. Whether its by placing western/UN peacekeepers at crucial infrastructure locations and warning Russia if they bomb those locations it will be an act of war?

2 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes
4 Likes

1 Like

Tomorrow, unfortunately a massive Russian missile strike is expected as they have been building up strike forces.

The country whose armed forces were renowned through history for their heroics fighting Hitler has now morphed into a terrorist state with an incompetent and cowardly military. This stain will never wash.

4 Likes

Their missile attack was not launched today, so I guess they were not ready or they were scouting (because they launched a mock attack with strategic bombers to gauge Ukrainian reaction).
Anyway:

Also, NATO discussions if Ukraine is to get Patriot.

1 Like