Russian War Crimes (Part 2)

Agreed.

But must be said that they have wanted to sack him for many months now. When he wrote that article in the Economist about the war being a stalemate, I think the decision was made, since politcal leadership (imo selfish, foolish, idiotic and self-desctructive at times) was enraged by what was only a very sensible and honest article. Political leadership wants the message that “victory is just around the corner and re-occupation of Krim is imminent”, while Zaluzhnyi wanted to warn and prepare the Ukrainian people for a hard, longer type of war.

Relations between Zelensky and his political advisors and Zaluzhnyi and his people has been terrible for ages. They fear him as a political force.

https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1757858242292564274

1 Like

https://twitter.com/albafella1/status/1757894747576737903

1 Like
1 Like

Russia could easily be beaten and forced to negotiate a withdrawal form Ukraine, if the West took it seriously.
https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1757919262889685150

1 Like

I am less convinced. The natural balance appears to be a stalemate, with defensive firepower very easily overwhelming offensive capabilities. With support, Ukraine can stop Russia, but what happens from there is probably not military in the end, but political - can the political will in the West outlast the will or stability in Russia?

1 Like

That was my point though. The West is not serious and has no political will to stand up to dictatorships longer than a couple of years if it is economically painful. Russia is not going to wage a War of Choice for a decade, so yes, it could be “easily” beaten, that is pretty much proven by now imo. But Ukraine has not been given capabilities to beat them and it may or may not be demographically too late by now.
We may have thrown the hand and let Vladimir win. But it was unecessary if so.

China is going to re-take Taiwan, of course. They would be far, far more difficult to stop militarily than Russia has shown itself to be, and there is not a snowflake’s chance in hell that the US will protect them directly.

Anyway, it is late and I am speculative and gloomy. Good night.

1 Like

It was only a matter of time.

i can see this backfiring on Putin,

as it may push Congress to offer more aid to Ukraine,

as Putin has once again reminded the world of the type of man he is and why he must be defeated

Yeah those Republicans will be really fired up about the death of a democratic* supporter.

• I don’t think many of them understand the difference between democratic party and supporter of democracy; perhaps don’t even understand democracy anymore. I fear blood will be spilled all across America before this changes.
2 Likes

RIP Navalny. Putin is a twat.

2 Likes

Twat doesn’t really seem even close to appropriate.

1 Like

A Republican congressman was asked today whether his death might spur them into advancing the Ukraine aid bill. His response was yeah , in as much as they even know who he was.

1 Like

A depressing and disturbing account here of the fall of Avdiivka. Free to read.

2 Likes

If any good is to come from this (and the fall of Avdiivka) it might come in the form of convincing US House Republicans of the need to expedite the aid to Ukraine bill.

Previously House Speaker (and Trump toady) Mike Johnson had been adamant that the bill would be DOA in the House. Yesterday he hinted at a change of heart ;
“In the coming days, as international leaders are meeting in Munich, we must be clear that Putin will be met with united opposition.” he said.

2 Likes

Well I’m under impression GOP and DEMs are preoccupied with dirty election games and don’t give a fuck about UA right now.

1 Like

Biden and the Dems care very much about it , hence the Bill.

2 Likes

Let’s hope they’ll do something serious about it then. Enough is enough. Killing Navalny should be the last straw…

2 Likes

Some Western media need slapping with how they are presenting the withdrawal/fall of Avdiivka. It is a loss of territory and a key strong point. But it is not really strategically relevant now, the effective withdrawal has preserved a remarkable number of troops, and Russia has paid a horrific price for it.

4 Likes