TAN Greatest: Invention. Currently experiencing technical issues

Nobody nominated her; she was on my shortlist of literary heroines but I couldn’t add too many of my own and chose Anna Karenina instead. Sorry!

1 Like

Yo Cynical… as the thread is proving so popular… and to keep some of the punters happy…
Why not add another 16 at this stage and choose from 32 - let the voters whittle them down!
Emma Peel
Jane Tennyson
Mother of Dragons
Eliza Doolittle
etc etc
But I get it, your thread your rules, and the shortlist above is fine by me.!

1 Like

If we’d had enough suggestions in the first place, I’d gladly have started with 32. Too late now; maybe we’ll run another one in the future with a completely different sixteen.

2 Likes

Good idea… carry the winner over :+1:

2 Likes

I wouldn’t exactly call it a thriller, although it has moments of high tension. It’s similar to Breaking Bad in a way in that it involves a normal, but very clever guy, who gets mixed up in some very serious criminal activity and how it impacts him and his family.

4 Likes

One of the best shows i’ve seen on Netflix tbh,Jason Bateman plays a good part but Julia Garner who plays the trailer park girl Ruth is outstanding,she’s plays an amazing role.

4 Likes
1 Like

You’re wrong but I love a strong statement :slight_smile:

1 Like

Will we get a play-off between the top 4 from each comp, women vs men?

1 Like

Final will be Ripley v’s Sarah C… Battle of the alien bashing mofos

2 Likes

I could kick myself, should have added Mistress Weatherwax, mea culpa Terry…

1 Like

Voting has now closed on the first round of ties.

Some surprises- to me at least- with Mary Poppins beating Marge Gunderson and Xena thrashing Ruth Langmore- I can only assume most of you don’t watch Ozark. Either that or some of you have got the intellectual level of a ten year old!

Most egregious of all: Lara Croft beating Lady Macbeth. What the actual fuck???

There were two ties, so I have the casting vote. That means that Anna Karenina (again, I can only surmise some of you haven’t read the book…) and Scout Finch go through.

The quarter final draw is as follows; voting will again be left open for a week.

QF 1
  • Scout Finch
  • Xena

0 voters

QF 2
  • Anna Karenina
  • Sarah Connor

0 voters

QF 3
  • Mary Poppins
  • Princess Leia

0 voters

QF 4
  • Lara Croft
  • Ellen Ripley

0 voters

1 Like

Are you English? Pretty much every English person on here probably grew up watching that badass bitch own the world with her magical shit.

As an adult you also look at Julie Andrews and think fuck she was one hot nanny.

1 Like

I’ll admit that voting between Poppins and Leia came down to the Jabba sequence in ROTJ. I know, voting with my trousers…

2 Likes

Honestly, Lara Croft beating Lady Macbeth is a joke. But then you didn’t include Villanelle or Celie Harris so there’s that too!

1 Like

Who gave the tie-breaking vote for #6 and #8? Kamala!!!

And how come this lady lose???

The game is bent
2 Likes

Only eight people have voted thus far…

Whilst I appreciate that I am not the most stimulating of hosts, I am somewhat disappointed that we have yet to reach double figures.

2 Likes

Thanks, @Livvy

:+1:

2 Likes

Only mods can pin threads. I don’t think this one is important enough! :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I voted:
Scout Finch
Anna Karenina
Mary Poppins- this was very difficult decision for me because I love Princess Leia, but Mary Poppins is an iconic character from my childhood
Ellen Ripley

1 Like