TAN Greatest: Invention. Currently experiencing technical issues

How is Blackadder not trouncing OFH?

OFAH has regularly been voted the best British comedy series of all time.

I demand a recount!

No Black book, we want a repolling

1 Like

I don’t know why there isn’t more love for Flight of the Conchords

1 Like

Bread was another one that didn’t get a mention.

2 Likes

Soap was good too.

1 Like

Have to disagree

Watch the Mrs Richards episode again - it is a masterclass in comedy writing - multiple storyline threads all come together at the very end and the character studies and acting are magnificent.
People often acclaim The Germans as the best episode -. IMO the Mrs Richards episode is the finest half hour of comedy writing and acting ever. But then comedy is incredibly subjective.

I remember John Cleese talking about how comedy differs in different countries - Its a generalisation but mostly true -

American comedy is about the sharp witty one liner - Seinfeld, Friends, Cheers etc.

British comedy is about the under-dog - Rab C Nesbitt, Del Boy, Norman Stanley Fletcher etc

Australian comedy is very visual - and the characters are exaggerated - Paul Hogan, Kath and Kim, Summer Heights High etc

None is better or worse than the other - just culturally different and of course there will be major exceptions to all of these.

5 Likes

British comedy is also about the absurd (Python etc) and social embarrassment. FT is a good example of both, as is The Office.

2 Likes

Lots of recent votes for Not The Nine O’clock News over MASH

alan alda canon GIF

1 Like

At the end of the day, anyone voting against The Young Ones at any point is plainly wrong!

1 Like

To anyone not yet voted and feeling sentimental toward Black Adder… Before you do
Just think Batman & Robin episode and tell me you never laughed out loud…
Del Boy, Rodder’s, Trigger, Boycey etc, need the votes people…

1 Like

Except that I’m Sorry… pisses all over it.

Totally different class.

1 Like

Another one that doesn’t age well. I don’t know why every comedy at that time just involved shouting. I blame Cleese.

1 Like

MASH was just never that popular over here. Brilliantly written, achingly funny and Frank Burns. Some or Hawkeye’s insults rival Edmund Blackadder’s. Got the whole box set which I often go through. Takes a while :slight_smile:

1 Like

Or plainly slightly more cerebral than laughing at fart gags and teen humour. Plus they’re actually voting for the lovely Samantha which is quite understandable. ISIHGAC is a British institution but as it’s medium is now so niche, it’s becoming less well known than Joe Grumdy.

2 Likes

Monday morning bump. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Bumpity bump.

Voting will close at 17:00 tonight. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Only one draw again and Not The Nine O’clock News goes through on my deciding vote.

Quarter finals are as follows:

• Porridge
  • Monty Python’s Flying Circus

0 voters

• The Young Ones
  • Blackadder

0 voters

• Dad’s Army
  • Fawlty Towers

0 voters

• Father Ted
  • Not The Nine O’clock News

0 voters

As usual, I’ll leave the voting open for a week. :sunglasses:

Refusing to vote for Black Adder after it knocked out Only Fools…

"Don’t tell em your name Pike…"

now odds on favourite for me :+1:

1 Like