TAN Greatest: Invention. Currently experiencing technical issues

86% of voters appear to be wrong! :rofl:

1 Like

Python v Porridge is really tough. They are so different. Python was more revolutionary, but Porridge is so beautifully crafted. I don’t think I can choose. The others are all easy

1 Like

Yeah, that was the only one I hesitated for. Ultimately went with Porridge because it’s harder to write a series like that than it is to do a series of unrelated sketches.

How could you put Blackadder against the Young Ones? Heartless bastard.

I mean it has to be Edmund, but the impact that The Young Ones had cannot be understated.

Father Ted feels like the Man City of this tournament. They’ll probably draw Mrs Brown’s Boys in the next round.

1 Like

Also disappointed Ripping Yarns didn’t make the cut. I think it’s the greatest comedy series ever made made, and when it comes to the post Python spin off projects, I think it pisses all over Fawlty Towers.

Best Joke

Do you remember what your Uncle Arthur said just before he died?

Urrrrgggghhhhhh

No, before that.

1 Like

Cunts :frowning_face:

They’re all rooted in The Goons though. Ultimately, it’s the origin of modern comedy.

Where I used to work had all the radio plays on LP. I used to put them on when working crazy late nights. Some absolute genius, some utter nonsense. And the phantom batter pudding hurler of old London town. Neddy.

4 Likes

ha,

missed the boat but was talking about ‘the goodies’ earlier today

1 Like

Loved that programme. Everyone (well, those of a certain age!) remember Kitten Kong and Ecky Thump, but the Eisteddfod episode was my personal favourite.

1 Like

scones.

scones.

scones.

scones.

1 Like

Speaking of genius, from “The Mysterious Punch-up-the-Conker”:

What time is it, Eccles?

Goons, Bob Newheart, Mornington Crescent :slight_smile:

https://youtu.be/XaUYQZR-y7I

Bump time. Voting will close at 17:00 today. :sunglasses:

1 Like

The quarter finals have now closed; only one tie and Dad’s Army goes through on my deciding vote. It was a very tough decision but there’s just that bit more depth and subtlety to it than there is to Fawlty Towers.

The semi final draw is as follows:

• Monty Python’s Flying Circus
  • Dad’s Army

0 voters

• Father Ted
  • Blackadder

0 voters

Voting will, as always, be left open for a week. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Well Done COG…
Even those actors still alive are about 100yrs old,
the comedy in Dads Army has stood the test of time :+1:
Now to take down MPFC…!

1 Like

Out of the main characters only Ian Lavender, who played Pike, is still with us and he is 75 now.

2 Likes

I’d never have foreseen Dad’s Army being here now. It was entertaining but, well, each to their own. Compared to Red Dwarf it’s a kid’s show IMHO.

1 Like

I really cannot emphasise enough that I think Red Dwarf was of its time and, looking back, it was pretty shite.

On the plus side though, when I put “Red Dwarf Shite” into the gif search this is what I got.

Valentines Day GIF by Yandy.com

5 Likes

Red Dwarf is really interesting in that I think it’s a case study of what works in British Comedy.

The first few series feel really fresh and interesting, because a sci-fi comedy hasn’t really been done before.

But essentially the comedy derived from two characters who get on each other’s tits trapped in each other’s company. It shares that loads of other programmes.

Where it lost it’s way was when the sci fi started to take over the sit-com. I think this was around the time when the two writers fell out and went their separate ways, leaving the more s I-fi influenced one writing the show.

Go back to series 1-3 and it’s great comedy. But as soon as they expanded the cast, released them from the claustrobia, and had them starting to well, get on, it was done.

1 Like

It came after Hitchhiker’s Guide, which was far superior.

3 Likes