TAN Greatest: Invention. Currently experiencing technical issues

The play on words and inunendoes were funny in those light hearted films. Check out the clip in ‘Carry on Screaming’ when the actress Fenella Fielding asks ’ do you mind if i smoke?’ :joy: :rofl: :rofl:

Sidney James and Kenneth Williams were brilliant

2 Likes

HaHa… Brilliant Maria :joy:
Just moved Carry On Screaming to the top of my ‘to watch’ list :0))

2 Likes

The Carry On films provided a valuable self-confidence boost to balding, ugly, middle aged men with bad teeth.

That’s about the only thing going for them, sadly.

@HometownZero ,
Yes, the black and white films were good, it kind a went down hill, after 1970.

@Mascot
It was the bawdy crude humour of that era. It looks dated now and un pc now.

1 Like

Monday morning bump. :sunglasses:

1 Like

What has Margaret Thatcher got to do with Blackadder…!
Just asking is all…

1 Like

To everything every written with the possible exception of Pratchett and Tolkien.

1 Like

It was brilliant until it went wrong as you said. Comes down to John Cleese’s line that a funny character is exactly that in any circumstance. Rimmer World, Ace, Legion and many more were fantastically funny. The recent stuff, meh.

1 Like

Are you against them on principle or do you genuinely thing they weren’t funny? Carry on Henry, At Your Convenience and Dick were superb. Then the holiday one and of course camping. Not sure they pass the Bechdel test today but sill rib cracking.

This is of course where this and the ism thread cross. Not the Nine O’Clock news was voted off earlier. I didn’t post this video in advance as I didn’t want to sway the vote. They wrote some brilliant stuff. The one after the Life of Brian was genuine comedy genius. This however is horrific:

I stress that this video will be considered by many to be deeply offensive (I’m still not sure I should post it but it is in context). I in no way agree with any of the content. Some of the Fools and Horses scenes would be frowned upon now and Flash’s lines in Blackadder’s 4th would certainly not make the screens today.

1 Like

late to the party, but… Father Ted is one of the funniest shows I have ever seen

6 Likes

Sadly, it looks like Father Ted might be losing out, so one last throw of the dice:
Mrs Doyle swearing

4 Likes

Just voted for Father Ted on the strength of that clip LR
Vote is balanced at 50/50 now :+1:

3 Likes

I grew up with because my mum adored them. I remember loving them as a kid, but as I grew up I just began to see them as unfunny, sexist shit. Of course there is the odd gem in there - the dinner scene in Khyber, but it doesn’t excuse the rest.

I remember talking to mum about them once, and pointing out that she used to cry in the toilets at work when she started at 18 because of the dirty, middle aged letches who’d grab her arse and make disgusting sexual comments all day long at her. At yet she never had a problem with a film series that at the time absolutely contributed towards legitimising that kind of behaviour. She never thought about it like that.

3 Likes

The semi finals have now closed. Incredibly, there was a tie between Blackadder and Father Ted; apologies to all who voted for Father Ted (and I love it, too) but Blackadder goes through on my deciding vote.

• Monty Python’s Flying Circus
  • Blackadder

0 voters

The final will be left open for a week, as usual.

1 Like

Oh no! I never was into these shows, thus, I cannot vote.

4 Likes

Start with Blackadder II … First series was shit 2 was brilliant, 3 was exceptional and 4 was almost perfect with a finale of epic pathos.

3 Likes

The first series of BA was so bad it’s amazing that it was continued.

2 Likes

Absolutely. Massive budget and utter garbage. Then Rowan Atkinson said “What if we make me the smart one?”

1 Like

Tbh, i am.not a fan of Monty Python.
I have watched the odd episode of Black Adder, i just can’t get into it, i tried my best.

I would rather watch Porridge, Dave Allen and the Two Ronnies. My Dad was great fan of those shows

1 Like

“Just don’t trust my spelling.” :wink:

2 Likes