TAN Greatest: Invention. Currently experiencing technical issues

The Pantheon for me. Nothing has ever achieved that balance again between impressive engineering exploit (it’s dome is still the biggest ever built without using steel concrete), and an absolutely unique architecture. The light coming through the oculus determines everything. It’s a building with an interior space, and yet, the sunshine, the rain, the snow, whatever, comes down from the outside.

The Romans constructed loads of aqueducts, temples, bridges, stadia and what not, but only one Pantheon. The Pont du Gard for instance is wonderful, but only one example of many other similar aqueducts built at the time. The Pantheon on the other hand is unique in every way you look at it. Never before or after that, something similar has been built again. For me, it largely surpasses the pyramids, the Greek temples, the cathedrals or any other human construction on earth.

Depending on the time you visit that building, on the season, on the weather and the light conditions, the experience will be completely different. I’ve been there at least ten times, and being in that space has always been something different.

The building was constructed roughly 1900 years ago, but this special inner room is still there, in its unadulterated, unique beauty. I don’t think there is anything comparable on earth to be fair.

4 Likes

I guess not many here would have heard about Chand Baori. A magnificent stepwell.

1 Like

I think we’ll go for still in existence.

2 Likes

@Klopptimist beat me to this one however there is no way you can get tired of it, Pont du Gard:

Les Arenes de Nime, well worth a visite.

premier league lfc GIF by Liverpool FC

12 Likes

Great wall of china and no you can not see it from space.

Another of those oeuvres where photos don’t do it justice!

1 Like

Yip the pantheon is a pretty cool building,
But 1 of the reasons it’s still in great shape,
Is that the leaders in christianity maintained it and kept it in good health.

Similar to the castel d angels.

With Stage 13 of the TDF finishing there today, this is also a beauty…
Carcassonne

2 Likes

You lot stole our rocks

1 Like

Its Time To Move On GIF by GIPHY News

1 Like

Absolutely. That’s one reason to be grateful for the catholic church. The catholic authorities resolved the problem by transforming the building into a christian church, freeing up the means to protect and entertain it. Other buildings in the city weren’t so lucky.

On the other hand, you could also say that its unique quality couldn’t be ignored by anyone, not even the catholic church. Even the barbarians who repeatedly invaded Rome during the early middle ages let it in peace, while they destroyed everything in sight otherwise.

2 Likes

I guess its name probably helps it be inclusive of all religions!

2 Likes

Only when you pay the hire charge - back dated of course

1 Like

You were supposed to come and collect them 4,000 years ago. If we set off the storage costs shall we call it quits? After all, they haven’t really worked properly for 3,000 years.

1 Like

You didn’t read the instructions. We cant help you if you didn’t read the instructions? Looking at it you didn’t even read the assembly instructions.

1 Like

It’s Spinal Tap all over again.

Are you now trying to play the “I didn’t order that” card? Are you honestly trying to say that you ordered stones 18" high and not 18’?

I think your 28 days return period has long passed.

2 Likes

It’s pretty but I just never warmed to Carcassonne, might have been my parents banging on about it for years before I went. You want a proper castle?

But if we’re talking castles, there’s only one and it’s not Mad Price Ludwigs:

Home :slight_smile: The Floridians are just compensating for Walt not building it :wink:

1 Like

The fact that they stripped all the marble off everything to build something so at odds with JC’s teachings (St Peter’s) is one of the world’s greatest insanities.

For another thread though.

The Blue Mosque in Istanbul looks immense, on the list.

1 Like