TAN Greatest: Invention. Currently experiencing technical issues

I’ll throw my hat in the ring with Forbidden City in Beijing or Petra in Jordan

5 Likes

Petra is great on the outside but then massively disappointing on the inside. In my opinion.

I haven’t been to the Alhambra since the 90s, but it was lovely then.

Great shout. A lot of the Moorish architechture in that part of Spain is truely stunning

1 Like

Look up the thread I think @Kopstar put Anfield in as a shout.

The image didn’t load on my first look through, I’ll take seconding the Anfield nomination then

The Empire State Building and the freedom tower (new world trade centre are pretty cool).

my sand castles I built on the beach were cool, until the tide came in or the wind blew them away (depends which beach and where).

2 Likes

Surely in NYC it has to be the Chrysler

2 Likes

Such a difficult question this.

Is this about overcoming technical challenges, architectural brilliance or what that actual structure brings to people / society etc.

Examples
Technical challenges - Pyramids, Millau viaduct
Architectural brilliance - Sydney Opera House, Taj Mahal
Use etc. - Hubble telescope, Hoover dam.

Obviously heaps of overlap between them but I find this an awkward one.

3 Likes

As we talk about Moorish architecture in Spain, the mosque of Cordoba definitely deserves a mention as well.

2 Likes

Fictional buildings will feature in the next comp I’m guessing. You can’t actually believe this thing exists, it’s not like you can see it at night………

1 Like

I just take a more personal touch but sure to win it’s got to be something extraordinary.
Even so I’ve visited Stonehenge and pass it on occasion and it gives me a buzz each time. Notre Dame that dominates Marseille.
Or an influence from a documentary, for thatI’ve got the great wall of China but could add railroad systems particularly USA and India.
Then Myths like Route 66 and loads of stuff in central and south america that I can’t spell asia and India.
However yes in the end it has to be something that most can be in accord with as being something special and in more ways than one.
Just throw them out and see what reaction you get and which if any get picked. Hoover dam is a great one in many ways.

Certainly doesn’t do anything for me …

whilst it wasn’t the biggest structure I’ve ever seen, the opulence of the Medici Chapel in Firenze was rediculously ornate.

Only second to the Grand Palace area of Bangkok. Needs to be seen in person to understand how labour intensive all of that glass inlay, painting and gold leaf is to maintain to that level of detail.

6 Likes

St. Basil’s Cathedral, Moscow. Really love its ornate and colourful domes. So unique.

8 Likes

Cologne cathedral until Barcelona’s La sagra familia is finally completed. The sheer determination to finish a job off over multiple centuries of delay, deaths and despair, epitomises human pig-headedness at its best/ worst. You decide. 632 years between first and last stone.

3 Likes

How close is it to the original design?

Here’s a real photo of Pont du Gard. :smiley:

1 Like