TAN Greatest: Invention. Currently experiencing technical issues

Not many close races.

1 Like

Big, big difference between the two. Hagia Sophia is a building dating back to the fourth century (nowaday’s form dates from the sixth century though). It’s architecture marked the entire Orthodox and Turkish architecture, they all have been influenced by it.

The Blue Mosque on the other hand is one of the finest examples of those big Istanbul mosques built around the late XVIth early XVIIth centuries. The Soliman Mosque deserves a mention too for its extraordinary beauty and wonderful proportions. The Blue Mosque is largely inspired by Hagia Sophia, but also by the Soliman Mosque (which was built fifty years earlier). It is a bit more renown by tourists though, as it stands at a prominent place, next to Hagia Sophia.

2 Likes

Istanbul is a fantastic city. Shame about the government, but that’s a different thread.

4 Likes

With Qurbani (Eid al-Adha) around the corner, they would have an abundant supply of beef/mutton in any case. :blush:

1 Like

The Colosseum against my fav castle, tricky….

2 Likes

Life, eh!!! :man_shrugging:

1 Like

You should probably just be grateful that Caernarfon Castle even made it onto the final shortlist! :kissing_heart:

1 Like

Would have been a travesty if not!

1 Like

There are so many (active) poster, but only 25-30 take part every time. :sob:

The Round of 32 has now closed; a couple of close ties but no draws so my deciding vote was not needed.

Here is the draw for the Round of 16:

• Cologne Cathedral
  • St Basil’s Cathedral, Moscow

0 voters

• Petra
  • The Great Pyramid of Giza

0 voters

• The Pantheon, Rome
  • Millau Viaduct

0 voters

• Angkor Wat
  • Pont du Gard

0 voters

• Great Wall of China
  • Hagia Sophia

0 voters

• Taj Mahal
  • Palacio de San Lorenzo de El Escorial

0 voters

• Versailles
  • Blue Mosque, Istanbul

0 voters

• Stonehenge
  • The Colosseum, Rome

0 voters

Ouch. That last tie is going to knock out one of the favourites.

Voting will be left open until the same time next week. Good luck!

3 Likes

Hmmmm… I wonder who the early voter for Cologne Cathedral might be? :thinking:

3 Likes

I love Stonehenge, but not sure I can justify picking it over The Colloseum when they still can’t explain why the aliens built it in the first place :rofl:

2 Likes

Wasn’t me. But I voted now. With the correct answer.

3 Likes

#Russianinterference
I’m just asking questions…

That was me actually. I haven’t visited it yet, though, but I hope to do it some day. If only my wife would listen…

1 Like

Read somewhere today…
Stonehenge is the next one in the cross hairs of losing its World Heritage status!

Don’t tell me Everton are planning on building a stadium there… :thinking:

4 Likes

Definitely more competent than the #Cineseworlddominance. :wink:

In league with #Turkishdelight it would seem. :rofl:

1 Like

The last time the blueshite won a trophy stone henge wasn’t built yet

7 Likes

Pretty straightforward voting until the last tie.
I went with the henge in the end - it is still amazing to me how it was sourced, transported, and erected with nothing but the most rudimentary tools.
And besides - What have the Romans ever done for us?

2 Likes