TAN Greatest: Invention. Currently experiencing technical issues

Bath?
Then again we didn’t start using them till we encountered the Chinese.
As I said before Henge always gives me a buzz and I think it would even if I passed it everyday (It’s just amazing that people planted stones back then).
Of course the colleseum is magnificent it just didn’t give me the buzz some much lesser building have.
So for me Henge is a good choice and a complete mystery to it’s actual purpose.

1 Like

Voted for stonehenge, it was nearly 3000 years old when the colossium was built, plus it’s practically next door to me. Must admit the Colossium is impressive as well though.

3 Likes

Yeah, on reflection I wish I could change my vote and give it to Stonehenge even though the Colosseum is magnificent and a marvel of civil engineering, particularly the canopy when it was first built. Stonehenge is just something else though. Something mystical, mysterious, mythical and other words beginning with my.

Its precise geometry and solar orientation, the endeavour to source, move and erect the stones so many thousands of years ago… Incredible.

3 Likes

Pyramids will win, they make everything else look like lego. Pont Du Gard going down, shame but ultimately, even though I’ve climbed over it, walked across it, dived off the cliffs next to it and canoed under it, you can’t argue that the greater achievement is a fair row away……

2 Likes

They also make the (proposed) Everton Stadium look like a piece of art.

This is probably controversial but I really think that the Great Wall of China is overrated. It’s just a really long wall and is really just a symbol of what can be achieved with loads of subjugated workers.

The Pyramids are also a demonstration of that, of course, but on a symbolic and on an engineering level they’re also so much more.

I regret not proposing a couple of more modern structures though, like the Channel Tunnel and the Large Hadron Collider.

1 Like

This seems like considerable praise for Everton’s proposed stadium?!

Oh, it turns out that you can change your vote! Stonehenge with another one then!

1 Like

Egyptian Pyramids are awe inspiring, I give you that. But to me they are a bit lacking in terms of ingenuity and intricacy. What about Amerindian Pyramids???

It can be seen like this however it’s served a practical use for thousands of years. Originating from 700 BC to the form we see today built 600 years ago with sections maintained up until 1878.
All, Giza, Henge and Great wall are logistical wonders and much more.
There are also question marks over whether and/or how many subjugated workers were used. Like armies often great buildings relied on mass work forces created by ‘deprived’ times (then again who/what was behind the deprived time).
I haven’t visted either Giza or the Great wall so have no idea what effect they could/would have on me. All I can say is both are great wonders and I know you wouldn’t disagree with that.
Just to say at the start my favorite was the Great wall however I am putting consideration to others as this progresses.

1 Like

They are roofs without having to protect the house underneath. :wink: :rofl:

Same for me. Stonehenge remains a mystery, while the Colosseum is nothing but a big stadium, built hundreds of times across the Roman empire, albeit probably the biggest one. I’d have found it interesting to pitch it with Anfield. I’d have gone with the latter of course. :wink:

Stonehenge shouldn’t even qualify

The competition is man made structures.

Man made.

1 Like

Not even the biggest Roman stadium; that honour goes to the Circus Maximus. The Colosseum is however the largest Roman amphitheatre. :thinking:

Isn’t that as flat as a pancake now? :wink:

1 Like

@Iftikhar a big hole in the ground then, certainly wouldn’t win our competition would it? :smiley:

And it’s not even a proper circus. I mean, where are the clowns? :thinking:

2 Likes

There’s not even a big round tent. :cry:
Though I’m sure one could be erected in that big hole. :partying_face:
Of course I will visit it if i ever go back to Rome, that’ll surely cover the clown if not clowns. :grin:

1 Like

Aren’t the clowns working from home because of the covid? :roll_eyes:

1 Like