TAN Greatest: Invention. Currently experiencing technical issues

Any further talk of covid clowns will have to go to the UK Politics thread, where we normally discuss Bozo and friends.

3 Likes

Isn’t it rich?
Are we a pair?
Me here at last on the ground,
You in mid-air,
Where are the clowns?

Isn’t it bliss?
Don’t you approve?
One who keeps tearing around,
One who can’t move,
Where are the clowns?
There ought to be clowns

1 Like

Come on Brits. Fight for your heritage! Vote Stonehenge!

I’ve been to the Colosseum and I really didn’t like the vibe there. All I could think of was all the people who had been slaughtered there as entertainment for the Roman masses.

Whereas with Stonehenge … well I’ve never actually been there, but if there was any slaughtering it was probably all done in the best possible taste with the full consent of the ‘victims’. If indeed there were any.

3 Likes

Same for me. A great structure, but basically, it was a glorified slaughtering house for a lot of animals and human beings.

Stonehenge >>> Colosseum

1 Like

True, Circus Maximus is a genuine stadium in the Roman acceptance. I find it a bit bizarre to class the Colosseum as an amphitheatre though, as it is a complete oval. Most amphitheaters are only half-circles or half-ovals.

Edit: just looked it up and indeed, it’s classed as an amphitheatre, so well spotted! :+1:t2:

2 Likes

You’ve got the wrong suitcase in a other hall there mate.

Well, everyone kept tripping over it where it was. That’s the thing with these fancy buildings, they never think about storage.

1 Like

and they re-enacted naval battles in the Colosseum,

50K + spectators all covered by a canopy, crammed into this amphitheatre,
standing only 48 metres and built over a lake,
in the lower decks were mechanical lifts, and a series of rooms for the gladiators, cell for prisoners and cages for the animals,

the colosseum built between 70 and 80 AD was way ahead of its time.

Stonehenge, is a lot of large stones erected in a circular fashion! :wink:

no contest for me,

Colosseum wins…

4 Likes

Changed my vote to Stonehenge. Colosseum is impressive, but on second thoughts, not unique enough.

Stonehenge is a mystery.

2 Likes

I think you’re playing Stonehenge down a tad, calling it just a circle of large stones lol in its original state it was roughly 80,13 foot tall,20 to 35 ton stones moved from 20miles away and over 60, 7 foot tall,3 ton stones dragged 150miles from Wales,pretty much the same time Pyramids were being built 5,000 years ago.It’s a pretty big achievement considering the terrain they had to move the stones over with no roads or proper vehicles to transport them,it got my vote anyway.

5 Likes

Much of it probably densely forested at the time as well.

It was probably billionaire aliens with their penis shaped spaceships just picking up those stones with their gamma laser thingies and plonking them down on Salisbury Plain to mess with our minds.

4 Likes

this late lobbying for stonehenge vs Coloseum…feels a bit nationalistic… i mean stonhenge is good, theres a couple too many support stones when really theres 3 or 4 flair stones that should be in that final 20, and stonhenge has had a bit of a dream run to this stage, no real competition in the salisbury area…but you just know in the end, the way the coloseum has been put together where all the components are interacting perfectly, the flair with the way its been built and the pedigree of the ampitheatre…you just know its coming Rome…

6 Likes

No wonder it’s known as the Manchester City of Wiltshire.

1 Like

Or England :wink:

Cannot believe that some people on here are supporting a continental narco- imperialist structure as opposed to the symbolic symbol of fertility and nature that is Stonehenge.

Bloody Romans

4 Likes

I’m not lobbying Stonehenge,just putting it out there that i think it was a pretty monumental building achievement for it’s time,with the size of building materials used and distance they were moved to make it,with pretty much piss poor tools at hand.

Don’t get me wrong,the Coloseum is no mean feat either,the only reason i didn’t pick it was because it was built almost 3,000 years later by a much more advanced civilization with a more advanced infastructure,building techniques and materials,tools,equipment and upto 100,000 people used to construct it in around 10 years.

That must be why it’s so much better then?

What, in comparison to aliens, midgets, giants … using pig fat and who knows what else. Not to mention the lovely welsh stone?

FIFY. :thinking:

1 Like