TAN Greatest: Invention. Currently experiencing technical issues

I’ll edit the poll just for you:

Piss Poor Pyramid of Giza v Angkor Wow!

Happy?

2 Likes

Isn’t your theory someone flawed given the GREAT wall of China is currently behind in its QF against a hole in a dome? :thinking: :joy:

2 Likes

Too late. Now you are just trying to be politically correct. The damage has been done.

Having the word China inside there is enough to put alot of people off

EDIT: if it is like Great Wall of Porcelain, it would have gotten more votes

And been a whole lot more impressive!

1 Like

Leaks like a bitch in winter though. I’d have fixed the hole years ago. I’d have made it oculess :wink:

1 Like

Regard the Great Wall of China, there’s 2300 miles of motorway in the UK built with machines. The wall is over 13,000 miles long built by hand.

5 Likes

Along with hundreds of thousands of people dying in the process! Not that that doesn’t make it worth of the discussion at hand.

Much the same with the pyramids and the Taj Mahal - the architect, once it was completed, and they key stone masons were killed to make sure they weren’t ever able to recreate its beauty.

I find it really fascinating!

1 Like

The Pyramids are basically just big lego. They don’t hold a candle to Angkor Wat and I think worse of each and every one of you that voted for them.

1 Like

Well the practical side comes a bit short admittedly… :wink:

But I’ve seen it when raining and also snowing inside: it was absolutely amazing. As said already, nothing compares to it.

1 Like

St Basil’s in Moscow’s architect was blinded after its completion.

Its in that sentence should have a possessive apostrophe. God I hate the English language.

No it shouldn’t

You think English is bad, try German with its multiple ways to say ‘the’ or Russian with its six cases, or Polish.

1 Like

Preferred the coffee outside. Still grumpy that THE BLOODY BUILDING THE ROMANS CONSIDERED TO BE THEIR GREATEST won’t win.

Ahem, sorry……

Pont Du Gard every single day.

Should in my world. The cat’s ball. It’s ball. What’s the difference?

Where did you read that? First time I hear this.

Equally, we’ve only been building motorways for just over 60 years whereas the wall was built over nearly two thousand years.

What’s that, 36 miles/year for UK motorways, 7 miles/year for the wall?

Bit rubbish really.

2 Likes

I think we can include Sagrada Familia in another 100 years when it might be completed.

To be fair, there are plenty of man-made structures in this world that would not be possible to be listed here…like Borobudur in Indonesia, the biggest Buddhist site in the world (?), There is the Khalifa in Dubai, but probably the best of all are made by my parents, which is myself.

1 Like

True that, along with the Sydney opera and the viaduc de Millau, this one would definitely have deserved a mention among the most remarkable buildings of the XXth - XXIth century. Well spotted!

Absolutely nuts that building. Looking forward to seeing it some day but not waiting till it’s finished….

1 Like