TAN Greatest: Invention. Currently experiencing technical issues

Was in the guide book we got when I went with my parents in the days when you could walk across the top and the road still ran over it. Read that book over and over, just loved the place.

Just don’t get how anyone can vote for a “modern” building.

What the Romans and Egyptians achieved thousands of years before these “modern” structures is staggering.

1 Like

Seems like the votes have gotten worse for Angkor after my lobbying.

Sure go ahead and vote for the Egyptian Toblerone! I don’t care anymore!

583caa66dd0895471a8b4a0dimages

1 Like

Because like most things of this ilk, it’s all subjective and people may have different standards by which they are voting. Or personal connections particular places.

I never nominated this originally because there was no way it would have even made it as a finalist:

RV-AB482_MASTER_G_20110204000934

But when taking everything into account around the challenges it faced, the barriers it broke and the impact it made, there’s no reason it shouldn’t be included in the conversation of ‘greatest man-made structures’.

I personally don’t think much of stonehenge. As impressive a feat of moving the rocks was, which I don’t deny, it’s still just assembling big rocks in a circle. The actual structure as it stands now had very little impact on me compared to all the other places in the competition that I have visited. But that’s just based on my experiences.

I specifically didn’t mention Stonehenge, but for the Pyramids and the Pantheon are just unbeliveable in terms of what was achieved with the most basic of tools.

Yes the bridge is a feat of engineering, but its built of steel and varying other materials and tools, probably lifted into place by similar “modern” engineering machines like cranes… You compare that to ropes and pulleys, I see the achievement’s so difference in scale of complexity.

:rofl:

Exactly. You’re judging by different standards.

I think stonehenge is ‘just’ rocks in a circle. You think the bridge is ‘just’ steel lifted into place by cranes.

The truth for both is SO much more than that. But still it comes down to your own personal view.

It’s like people saying footballers used to be better because the ball was heavier and the didn’t have fancy boots. We know the opposite is true that standards have improved because of advances in technology and sports science. Does not mean that the merits of footballers in either era should be dismissed for their achievements.

I’m not saying rhe Pantheon or Pyramids wouldn’t be worthy winners. I just think it’s ridiculous to dismiss anything made in the last 200 years because they had better technology to make things. When in fact the challenges faced in building are often equally as fascinating and impressive.

1 Like

I agree with this. I am trying to adjust for what I believe is the most impressive achievement relative to the time in which it was constructed.

In that regard it would be extremely difficult for almost any bridge built in the last 300 years or so to even come close given the industrial revolution. Channel Tunnel, CERN…they’re pushing the envelope far more, imo.

Still, very very few man-made feats of construction can come close to Stonehenge. They’re all in the running here though.

Balls don’t have fancy boots, at least mine don’t. :wink: :rofl:

But equally for me that should not be the only consideration.

Longevity, cultural impact, worldwide recognition, advancements in technology, personal connection.

Any consideration is valid, which is why people have nominated and voted for modern structures.

Which is the only point i’m trying to make.

I’ll never forget my visit to Petra. Riding on a horse down the ‘crescent canyon’. The sight of it appearing at the end. A childhood dream come true.

But the interior is so unimpressive it doesn’t even come into my mind as a ‘great’ structure.

stonehenge even moreso. Just has never struck a chord with me as a piece of architecture or a feat of engineering.

As with any fan of Indiana Jones!

Did you read the article on Stonehenge I linked to? Pythagorean geometry two thousand years before Pythagoras.

Now back to serious inputs from myself. :rofl:

Actually I always felt underwhelmed whenever I visit these supposedly great structures. Like when I visited StoneHenge, it was not really about the structure itself, more so about the so called mystery behind it that intrigued me since young…so I landed in London after a 13 hour flight from Singapore and immediately, picked up my rental car and drove straight to Stonehenge. The first 10 minutes was wow…and then it struck me…so…what next? I just move on my journey to Cardiff…

When I visited Siem Reap, I was really excited not just only Angkor Wat, I had planned 3 full days of just temple hopping. The first day was great…the 2nd day, we went in the morning…and then by the afternoon…we just went back to take a nap haha! Unless you are really so into the different kings that built the different temples and their cultures back then…to me…they are the same same but different kind of feeling…

But really like some of you are saying, the greatest man made structure mean different thing to different people. Some focus on the history. Some focus on the culture. Some focus on the engineering wonders. Some focus on the technology. Some focus on the sheer size. I focus on whether I can get nice food in that building.

3 Likes

After this I’d love to see a poll for the greatest invention.

1 Like

Too easy.

Beer.

1 Like

I am, sorry maybe I missed the point of having an opinion. I’m judging based on what amazes me.

It’s an animinate object, no need to get your knickers in a twist over it. They don’t have feelings.

Having a different opinion does not = having your knickers in a twist

Using capitals and words like ridiculous would point to someone getting a little over excited in defending a bunch of bricks.

Not really.

I suppose there’s no point having a conversation about the subject of the votes then. Just everyone do your votes then keep your mouth shut so you don’t upset anyone.

Just RIDICULOUS, just sying. :grin:

It’s weird that inanimate objects like buildings and structures can stir emotions in you, no matter how new or old, simple or technologically advanced. Sometimes there’s just something about the place it’s in, how it looks, or what it means.

I’ve been lucky enough to do some travelling. I’ve seen the Golden Temple in Bangkok, The Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur, Ankor Wat, The Sydney Opera House, the Pantheon and Colosseum in Rome, Versailles and Notre Dame in Paris and many more on that crop up on these types of lists.

But the two structures I’ve seen that blew me away were the Golden Gate Bridge and the inside of the Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore in Florence. Neither would probably make a “greatest structures list” and both are very different. But just something about them left me in awe and that makes them great to me, even if not to anyone else.

3 Likes