TAN Greatest: Invention. Currently experiencing technical issues

Quarter final time! Some very close calls in the last sixteen, with Darth Vader edging out Indiana Jones by one single vote.

Did Trump demand a recount in Indiana?

Anyway, here are the quarter final votes; I’ll leave them open until 17:00 on Monday.

QF1
  • Andy Dufresne
  • James Bond

0 voters

QF2
  • Moriarty
  • The Joker

0 voters

QF3
  • Vito Corleone
  • Homer J. Simpson

0 voters

QF4
  • Darth Vader
  • Sherlock Holmes

0 voters

1 Like

Just out of curiosity, how did the pairings came through? For example, why not Vader vs. Jocker?

BTW, you have a swell job my friend :100:

I just took them in the order that they appeared in the last sixteen. No drawing names out of a hat here!

2 Likes

The Fonz lost to Andy Dufresne? Wtf? Only explanation is that the Fonz is obviously too fucking cool to be involved in something like this.

2 Likes

I’m honestly baffled by some of those R1 results.

1 Like

I can’t vote on the Moriarty or Joker one. Don’t make me choose! Gonna have to sleep on that one.

3 Likes

Pre Heath Ledger and Joaquin Bottom playing the Joker this would have been an easy Moriarty shout.

I accept that but those two performances/films significantly developed the character

2 Likes

I can’t look last Heath as the joker though, best performance in any film ever for me.

1 Like

Again: it’s not about the film or the actor.

1 Like

I get that, but Heath took it to another level. He re-defined the character… Made it iconic, without that performance is the Joker so well known? I doubt it.

1 Like

Surely, then, Moriarty wins that particular duel as the character wasn’t defined by one actor in one film. :thinking:

1 Like

Moriarty rocks full stop

1 Like

Next Contest… can we have

Maximus Decimus Meridius V’s Rocky Balboa

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

While i don’t want to get into a debate on the Joker but everyone knows who and what the Joker is.

Heath turned him into something serious and sinister, more in line with the comics, which is exactly right.

but for down of scary grit Joaquim Phoenix does it for me. That shit was far too real

Sorry off track

1 Like

I still haven’t voted in the Moriarty v Joker one and I can see how close it is. The thing about Moriarty is that so much of his character spent without him actually being present. His malign influence, machiavellian scheming, manifests itself without him physically being there. The Joker is much more front and centre. He wants the attention. Needs it. Moriarty likes the game - the battle of wits, outsmarting his victims and pursuer. His malevolence is more sinister by virtue of its subtlety. But his character? It feels a bit more one-dimensional than that of the Joker. The Joker’s messed up, conflicted, tortured, angry at the world, craving for attention and affection but at the same time rejecting the latter. This is tough.

1 Like

The quarter finals are now closed; a couple of tight results but the semi finals are now open:

SF1
  • James Bond
  • Moriarty

0 voters

SF2
  • Vito Corleone
  • Sherlock Holmes

0 voters

The semi finals will close at 17:00 on Friday.

As a footnote: all of you who voted for Don Corleone over Homer Simpson- you’re all dead to me.

5 Likes

Incredible that the two main characters from one man’s imagination make it to the final 4. Might even be the final.

2 Likes

Looks like a final between Sherlock V Moriarty… Surely the good guy will win…!!!

1 Like

Sleeping with the fishes, eh!!!

Come on, Sherlock; two more wins and we are home.