TAN Greatest: Invention. Currently experiencing technical issues

… You gonna need a bigger boat…
Looking increasingly likely we might not

A couple of shit draws there.

It wasn’t me, honestly, but thanks for reminding me! Now I’m sure that whichever film wins the voting, it will be a Carpenter film. :joy:

Unless there is some backtracking and reversal of voting choice… Here are the death throes of Jaws at 3pm today… its even trying to take some of @gasband model seagulls with it :0)

1 Like

That’s a very low quality replica of my original.

2 Likes

“Jaws Eating Birdshit” by Gasbag. $2.50 at your local charity shop.

A true horror.

1 Like

It’s actually ‘b’

Anyway to make it affordable, I gonna donate all proceeds to buy Bellingham. All we need is for me to sell 40mil copies.

After the horror show of today’s match at Brighton (wonder where that ranks in @Bekloppt ’s list? :thinking: ) , it’s time for the quarter finals here:

• The Shining
  • Psycho

0 voters

• Friday The 13th (original)
  • The Exorcist

0 voters

• Hellraiser
  • The Thing

0 voters

• Rosemary’s Baby
  • A Nightmare On Elm Street

0 voters

Voting will close at the usual time (mid-afternoon nap permitting) next Saturday.

There was quite a horror show on in the south of England. Running time was just more the an hour and a half. It was a merciless, mostly self-induced, slaughter.

1 Like

If Liverpool release a DVD of the 22/23 season…

Err, I just remembered this one. Can we stop everything and just declare it the winner?

Watch this for real horror

Summary

https://twitter.com/StokeyyG2/status/1616347759174459394?s=20&t=25u36W8kA9Yjjes_N0O7Lg

Voting on the quarter finals has now closed.

• The Shining
  • The Thing

0 voters

• A Nightmare On Elm Street
  • The Exorcist

0 voters

The semi finals will close at the usual time (with the usual proviso) next week. :sunglasses:

So, another shit final.

Have people who are voting for the Exorcist actually watched it lately? The first half is pretty boring and a lot of the effects in the last half have aged poorly, so it’s actually funnier than it is scary.

The Shining isn’t even as good as the miniseries of The Shining and shouldn’t be close to winning these things.

But, ho hum, I expected nothing less.

Still, better than Man U v Newcastle in the Carabao Cup.

1 Like

Agree, I watched it decades ago, but from what I remember, it’s really not that great. Elmstreet was at least your trademark horror movie. I still can remember it vividly despite seeing it ages ago.

Shining on the other hand is at least a real piece of quality filmwork, made by a genius. It has its place in a final imo, if only for these views of these oppressive hotel corridors from the perpective of a child, or discovering that Nicholson’s character had written thousands of sheets with only ‘I don’t know what to write’ on it. :rofl:

Yes, I think Kubrick made a mess of it as an adaptation. It normally isn’t a big deal when a film maker takes the adaptation in their own direction, but it is when the book is so well known. It’s not just superficial things like the ending changing, but the core of what the story was about changed, which to me was a less scary story. Still, in time, the more distance you can put between your first reading of the book and watching the film, the more able it is to stand on its own, and in that perspective it IS a good a film and I understand why people rate it highly.

However, as you point out, with that same time, and with it distance from Kubrick’s heralded film, the Kind led TV adaptation has started to be appreciated for being the much better adaptation. It wasnt well received at the time, but has started to be better appreciated in recent years.

Interesting. I’ve never read the novel.

The book was a very personal one for King, being about a writer struggling with demons. In the book, the hotel’s ghosts that slowly drove him mad were a stand in for his own substance abuse issues and so it’s very focused on his inner battle. In the film he’s a lot more of a one note character - an already unbalanced man who predictably, and without much fight, succumbs to the isolation of the hotel and subsequently starts seeing ghosts. It is less a character arc and more a step. It changes it from a journey you take of a man fighting his demons, to one of a family being threatened by a mad man who was always mad. The horror is less about Jack’s fall as it is in the book, to the danger that puts his family in. It’s kind of like a glorified Halloween with Shelly Duval playing the Jamie Lee Curtis role.

1 Like