TAN Greatest: Invention. Currently experiencing technical issues

Spirited Away was the one, but they blew it.
We are among Philistines Ifti mate :cry:

1 Like

We might well get ROTK vs FOTR as a final ?

And I’d like to know who voted for star wars.

This is as a star wars fans but it wasn’t a visual masterpiece.

2 Likes

I disagree.

The scrolling storyline as the opening scene was visually something completely new at the time, as was the opening scene of the Star Destroyer shooting the Princess Leia’s ship was again something that hasn’t been topped up until Saving Private Ryan in terms of the viewer instantly being drawn in due to the high action

1 Like

Another thing to consider is that a lot of people have only seen the new CGI “enhanced” version of the film. The original, in 1977, was mind-blowing, especially given the technology available at the time. That opening scene of the tiny rebel ship and then the star destroyer that seemed to go on forever… wow.

2 Likes

the best bit is, there was no technology. just a really good modeling

3 Likes

A quick reminder that voting closes at 22:00 today. :sunglasses:

The R16 polling has now closed. Again, there was one tie and my deciding vote goes to Star Wars.

The draw for the quarter finals is as follows;

• The Last of the Mohicans
  • The Wizard of Oz
0 voters
  • The Sound of Music
  • Blade Runner
0 voters
  • The Fellowship of the Ring
  • Star Wars
0 voters
  • Pan’s Labyrinth
  • The Return of the King
0 voters

Voting will close at 22:00 next Friday.

How the hell can 56% of you be so wrong that you vote The Wizard Of Oz over The Man From Snowy River?

#AbsolutelyClueless :rofl:

Well as the version wasn’t specified I took it as meaning the 1925 version which is just fabulous!

That is where you are mistaken. It clearly ment the Michael Jackson/Dianna Ross version.

Acting and singing wise it was superior, but visually no even close to The Man From Snowy River

@Flobs finally comes out of the closet.

Well as that was called The Wiz that can not be so.
There, from my knowledge, can only be 2 possibilities the 1925 version or the 1939 version both of which where childhood favs due to the excellent scenery and animation!

2 Likes

It sounds as though @Flobs played the scarecrow, so I claim my £5… :0)

I’m a very good scarecrow, well was when I could move and hollor.

Just for you @Flobs - Enjoy the memories :0)

1 Like

One of my favorite scenes!

The Wizard of Oz was brilliant. Black and white to color, and a whole new fantastical world was depicted. Way ahead of its time. Munchkins, scary witches, the lot. I grew up in an era when films weren’t on demand, and the Wizard of Oz used to be a Christmas staple.

The Man from Snowy River had horses, mountains, nice scenery… but for me it didn’t add anything to cinema that hadn’t been done before, or push any boundaries. Sorry!

2 Likes

Blues Brothers GIF

how did Blade Runner beat Inception…