TAN Greatest: Invention. Currently experiencing technical issues

Human rights
Freedom of speach

Are they inventions?

They were invented by humans.

Spelling is a great invention too.

Please explain this extraordinary statement.

What’s so extraordinary about it ? Perhaps you can explain your extraordinary need for it to be answered?

Haber-Bosch process (massively under appreciated)

But just to explain every nation that has gone to war over the thousands of years we have engaged in thousands of wars , the defeated never control the narrative of what’s right or wrong as they no longer have any say being conquered.

Morality and standards are then defined by the victors and time.

Society has never been shaped going forward by a defeated nation/empire that fades into oblivion.

Could say the nation state was the greatest invention then? Can we really say conflict is an invention? In any case war is often inconclusive - I’d argue it is economic prosperity that’s leads to the dominance of ideas/ narrative rather than military victory. Losing a war certainly never stopped the ancient Egyptians from controlling the narrative!

1 Like

One from me. The humble transistor.

I did try and think if something associated with cooking meat but fire is natural and then weaving but that can also be done by hand.

Are discoveries included or is that one for another day?

1 Like

Sorry to Labour the point, but now I think about… hasn’t most of the shaping been done by nations/ empire that were eventually defeated/ faded away? Phoenician alphabet, Greek politics, philosophy and art, Arabic mathematics and science.

3 Likes

Ok
Apologies for that.

My two then:

Lucozade Zero

Cock rings

1 Like

IMO yes and to impress it more they are protected by justice systems in a good few democracies. I think Democracy is a pretty good inevention as well (tainted and complicated by other inventions that 'disfigyre it e.g capitalism).

Would that not have been carried forward by the nations that had conquered them?

Regarding war, it’s like fire. We certainly didn’t invent it.

Ideas are carried forward by successful cultures, whether they be militarily or economically, obviously the societies with the best ideas will probably be more successful.
None of that supports your original assertion.

I agree about democracy being an invention but not so sure freedom of speech is but more of a byproduct of democracy

Appreciation Of Beauty.

Or else nobody would never understand how great my art is.

2 Likes

Soz… The Written Word

1 Like

Gasband’s artistic prowess.

2 Likes

War certainly plays a role in technological development, but the quoted statement isn’t right I think.

The Greeks for instance were utterly defeated by the Romans and lost any meaningful political influence after that. Yet, Greek philosophy and science have continued to shape society, all societies, until this day.

Similarly, Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms, Wagner are all part of a country who was utterly crushed in 1918 and 1945. Still, we continue to listen to their music.

JC was born in a tiny and insignificant region of the Roman empire, and yet, he became a worldwide post-mortem superstar, religion-wise. The whole empire was turned on its head by the new religion.

So, I don’t think that conquests and wars shape the way we use to think. Important ideas, art and technologies will ultimately be used and enjoyed by everyone, victors and defeated alike.

But I agree that they play a role by accelerating the spread of these ideas at times, and all kinds of new technologies will be rapidly developed to higher standards.

2 Likes