The attack - that's the answer

Spending £70m on a lad and putting him on £40k a week is exactly the kind of deal we love to do.

We are far more arsed about the wage bill than transfer fees.

4 Likes

What’s that as an amortize amount per year?

meg ryan love GIF by HULU

My amortization brings all the boys to the yard, I can teach you but I’d have to charge

With more sounds that Bobby will indeed stay, this could be it in terms of our 6 forwards for next season.

Although things can happen, people coming back from serious injuries, some players might get an opportunity or want to leave, but let’s assume as things stand.

Will be nice after a little while to have our attack “settled” going into the next, so we can “fully” focus on our midfield dealings this summer.

Doesn’t leave much room for some of the backup/younger players in our roster though, that will also of course depend what we qualify for this season (= how many games we have next season).

It’s clear now that we want 2 midfielders and that we want Bobby to stay.

Question remains what happens with Millie and that will most probably be decided later on this season, no need to rush and if he’s a “spare guy”, it’s nothing special. Will also depend how we judge Ramsay, can we even count on him next season.

I don’t see Carvalho remaining with us next season, most probably out on loan.

I’d like to see the following against Chelsea…

Salah - Gakpo - Nunez

I feel with Nunez and Salah both playing off the shoulder, Gakpo will be great at coming deep and linking it all up.

Who will score more goals next season?

• Cody Gakpo
  • Darwin Nunez

0 voters

Ridiculous poll. They going to score the same.

22 each in PL, CG 5 in CL DN 6 in CL, CG 6 in LC DN in 7 LC, CG 8 in FA DN 8 in FA.

What’s that, a secret WWII message at Bletchley Park?

1 Like

Yes, and can only be decoded by a persecuted gay guy.

Klopp on how he picks attackers at the moment:

“The ticket into this team must be and will be definitely, again, counter-pressing. So, that’s how everything started.”

Interesting presser as far as the attack goes. Far from settled what’s our best combination for next season. Talks how now the absolute priority is to pick an attack that can defend how we want. Then, long term, we’ll see how Nunez continues to adapt. Says how he’s a different player to all the others and if he plays central, the team must adapt to how he can defend (and I’d say not only defend, but be part of linking, more or less).

You hope with our needs in midfield and somewhat in defence, that we can leave the attack at peace this summer. But they will have serious work to do on the training pitch. Our defending starts from the top.

1 Like

Yeah, all good points, and frankly expected given the turn over in the attacking positions. It will come, but in some ways it’s hardest for the forwards to learn, especially for the “striker” as for them pressing is often as much as smart positioning as it is running your socks off.

The flip side is that for all the talk about Nunez struggling he’s likely to surpass Suarez’s goa tally from his first full season (only 2 away). Given Luis only scored 4 his first half season with us, with a couple of good games its possible he could even score more in one season, one where he’s often been questioned, that Luis did in his first season and a half. When you also factor in that so much good stuff happens when he’s on the pitch even without him scoring, it’s a really positive situation IMO

2 Likes

More from the embargo here, from 2:40:

75 scored in the league. Third most. You surely don’t challenge for the title with that number nowadays but it should easily get you into the Top3.

Considering that Bobby, Diogo, Luis and Darwin were injured for some time, Darwin also had the suspension and Cody came in late - 75 is great.

Attack was clearly not the problem last season and even without Bobby we should be fine.

Would be great if somebody can post number of goals and assists of our attackers for total and in the different competitions.

3 Likes

There was also the issue of us conceeding 47 goals this season.Put the 2 of those together and it’s not surprising we have finished up in 5th,even though we should still have managed 3rd.

Diaz,Jota,Gakpo,Nunez ,Salah,Elliott /Doak will make up a very attacking front line next season.If we can keep them fit and healthy we’ll score plenty of goals and be fighting at the top end of each competition we’re in.

1 Like

Once our press from the front (and followed by midfield) is back to where it should be, we will defend better and score even more goals. Primary target for us this summer. Get our transfers right, but even more important, get our principles back.

2 Likes

Salah: 30 goals and 16 assists/51 games, 4301 mins
Núñez: 15 goals and four assists/42 games, 2365 mins
Firmino: 13 goals and five assists/35 games, 1711 mins
Jota: seven goals and eight assists/28 games, 1395 mins
Gakpo: seven goals and three assists/26 games, 1859 mins
Diaz: five goals and three assists/21 games, 1357 mins
Carvalho: three goals and zero assists/21 games, 638 mins

2 Likes

75 goals in 38 games. But take out two games that absurdly padded those stats and it’s 59 goals in 36.

Still, I don’t think our attack is going to be a problem. Gapko came in late and took 4-5 weeks to find his feet but now looks a key cog. Mo really suffered from the dysfunction of the early season. Diaz and Jota were both out for long periods and Nunez had a difficult first year. Scoring the third most goals in the league despite that I think shows what sort of fire power we have when things are clicking.

2 Likes

Numbers need context.

Creativity wise and goalscoring wise, we certainly look healthier than we are the other way round. Dangerous, but very wild and leaking too much for our standards when teams attack us or counter attack us.

Our other way round starts with the front players though, followed up by midfield and obviously defence.

We have to go back to a full circle where the team is compact, are all involved and functional together in all phases of the game. Or closest to it as possible.

It’s an absolute must these days if you want to regularly compete and win at the top level.

2 Likes

75 does put you in the top 5 in Europe.

Our attack isn’t an issue to me.

A better midfield improves both issue. It’s been a long time since we have has a midfielder that can consistently create.

1 Like