The attack - that's the answer

As bad as Origi has been, and despite his stupid miss, I still thought he looked more dangerous than the others. Chamberlain is a waste of time, Mane’s taking far too many touches and Firmino strikes a ball cleanly maybe 1 in 50 attempts.

Fuck knows what the answer is. It’s certainly not starting Shaqiri from the start, he was abysmal tonight. Leave him to be an impact player. How Jones and Minamino aren’t getting minutes ahead of Shaq, Chamberlain and Origi is beyond me.

We should have benched Firmino but not Salah. Meanwhile, should have put Salah to No.9 (central) and Shaqiri on the right wing. The midfield should have been Wijnaldum - Thiago - Jones, because we all know Chamberlain is already a lost cause.

2 Likes

We had the answer all along…It is Diogo Jota who offers not just goalscoring touches but also smart movement within the box…Alas, it all went to shit after we started him in a dead rubber UCL match and he got injured for quite some time…

No disrespect but Salah was awful when he came on. His ball control made Dirk Kuyt look like Ronaldinho.

Movement is the key for me. We aren’t moving enough and we’re not attacking the right spaces.

It’s always the one who is missing. Thiago, Henderson, Fabinho, Jota. When he comes back and doesn’t perform as well as he did after sitting two months out we’ll be looking at whoever is out then as the answer.

It doesn’t work like that. The whole team has to start performing at an acceptable level again because right now not even Messi at his prime wouldn’t make a lot of a difference with the way everyone is playing.

3 Likes

His entire last 5 games was summed up when he just ran into Pieters… Here was a 32 year old coming on cold and Salah just ran straight into the 6 foot brick shithouse and bounced off.

1 Like

Some stats

Last 4 games. 87 shots 0 goals

1 Like

Also this

3 Likes

You can have 87 but literally I can remember about 6 decent ones.

De Gea did bugger all last week, two tame efforts, at least Pope did two decent saves, can’t remember anything decent against Soton and we had those scrambles against Newcastle.

As I said we at least made Pope do something even if it was on his near post, we’ve literally created 6 good chances across 5 games and I would say 3 of them came last game.

I would loved to have been a keeper these last five games facing Liverpool.

1 Like

Can you go in goal tomorrow for utd please. :joy:

3 Likes

1000%, we lack his leadership, his intensity, his utter drive to win. Even when hes center back hes too far away from the frontline to give them a bollocking.

Puzzles me why Milner isn’t playing more, he brings the same to the table… If you go through the side with Van Dijk, Hendo, Milner out I dont see many leaders there. Even Robbo seems to have lost his snide edge.

We need an injection of fight and the rest will follow.

3 Likes

That’s the stand out for me as well. The numbers of really good chances we create have been really thin and to be brutally honest we dont look like we’re going to create those chances either. I’d almost say we were were clueless.

1 Like

We created some very good chances even during our dry patch. Firmino alone could have scored 3-4 goals. But yeah, we created less chances than we used to.

1 Like

Perhaps I’ve become acclimatised to the fact that we miss them? That’s been a issue previously where we rip teams to shreds but leave so many unconverted opportunities it was silly.

2 Likes

Yeah, we aren’t creating enough chances now a days and we are converting even less than usual.

We definitely create the chances we just don’t take them. So often a chance is created and before I would get excited now I just wait for the inevitable extra touch hesitation look around for the pass that could lead to a pass into the back of the net and if we are lucky we gat a corner. 12 corners in our last match that we lost 0-1.
It will change we just don’t know when, there’s nothing wrong with the potential of our players it’s like we’re just not doing the right things which for me indicates that there’s something missing from our training sessions. More rinse and repeat is needed so it becomes second nature to be aggressive and take the opportunities that are presented.
Excuses of tiredness etc just don’t wash with me it’s about just doing it.

4 Likes

Salah 51P - 31G - 6A

Mané 48P - 16G - 9A

Firmino 48P - 9G - 9A

Jota 30P - 13G - 1A

All of them missed so many chances but still doesn’t look that bad in the end.

• No need to say anything about Mo.

• With Sadios quality he should at least have 20 goals.

• Bobby with the way he plays should have at least double figures in Goals and Assists.

But we all know they still have that in them.

• Oh and Diogo. What a signing he has been. 13 goals in his first season here with missing so many games.
1 Like

Have to add. Mo could also be easily on double figures with assists but that’s because of missed chances :grimacing: and because of his healthy selfishness (and I mean that in a positive way).

Similar - or even ‘worse’ - with Jota. Think in one or two years people will try to tell us he is very selfish. But he is just very direct - a finisher.

1 Like

If we had just 10 more goals from Mane and Firmino, we would have been pulling Pep’s pants down.

I think the key issue is exhaustion, if the lads get a proper rest during summer, they would be as good as new.

1 Like

Liverpool
Salah, Jota, Mané, Firmino, Minamino, Origi

City
Sterling, Foden, Jesus, Grealish, Mahrez, Torres

Still no hierarchy after all the years together.

Chelsea
Lukaku, Werner, Pulisic, Hudson-Odoi, Ziyech, Havertz, Mount

Lukaku clear starter because of the price tag. Werner will be moved to a wide position if he wants to get minutes. Pulisic injury prone. The other three are more attacking midfielders than attackers.

ManU
Ronaldo, Cavani, Rashford, Greenwood, James, Sancho, Martial, Diallo

Ronaldo is a starter and think he will prefer Cavani on the pitch with him (similar to when he had Benzema). Sancho with the fee should be a starter but huge pressure there. Rashford and/or Greenwood could have a ‘lost year’. James is perfect for the domestic cup games. Can see Martial leave until Tuesday (not sure who could be interested). They paid £20m on Diallo. Not sure how he is going to get minutes.

Few things I want to say.

Out of the 4 Teams we are the one with an established plan. Three start, one gets a rest and comes from the bench.

If two out of our 4 get injured we’re fucked. But it even worked before we had Diogo - so we are not really riding our luck.

It’s really difficult to keep 5 players of that level happy with games and minutes so I am really happy with having Taki as #5.

Might sound strange but if I could pick one of the other teams players to be our #5 attacker (to help us now in particular situations or games - not for the future) it would be Cavani. A classic CF with experience to offer us something different to what we have.

1 Like