The Central Midfield Thread

We Are Doomed Reaction GIF

3 Likes

It’s not unreasonable to think this mysterious Keita injury has at least something to do with the club trying g to sell him, right?

I’d say the Club tried to sell some of his recent injuries as ‘he is ill’ because there was a chance that we will try to sell him this summer.

Now it’s clear that he is injured once again and there is no chance of selling him.

1 Like

I guess I don’t buy that he’s injured. Klopp’s comments have been strange about it and even today (I think) said it was a muscle injury but it’s “not clear”.

1 Like

Didn’t he say something similar on Matip and he spent most of the year out.

1 Like

So who is available and can help rightaway because we have no preseason for a new player.

At least 2 injured midfielders will be back before we can sign anyone.

Maybe we can encourage Naby to get fit by telling him we will sell him.

When I see this Manure team play against Soton today, fuck me, Man United are shit which makes me wonder why did Klopp did not start on the midfield rejuvenation after the end of last season?

Instead, we extended Milner’s deal, extended Henderson’s deal till 2025 in 2021 when there are signs that his main strengths are going downhill, gambled recklessly on Naby Keita,AOC and Thiago being fit( when they are so brittle that one got an injury on day 1 of the campaign, one got an injury from nowhere, the other got injured in pre-season), gambled recklessly on Elliott and Fabio becoming the next coming of Steven Gerrard and Xabi Alonso.

I wonder if the changes in the Sporting Director and Head of Medical Services has led to a shift in the power dynamics in the backroom where the previous incumbent can confidently put forth to Klopp that his view of his midfielder’s staffing and fitness is wrong while the newcomers are less confident to do so?

I know the score against Bournemouth but fuck me, we still need reinforcements in the midfield!

Being short enough in options that we gave debuts today to two teenagers is not great, but I dont think that per se is what will have changed his mind. Whatever has happened has surely made him change his mind about how much he can get out of this group for the season as a whole. I wonder if Naby’s injury is worse than expected? Or probably more likely its just that he’s come around to the common opinion on here - that collectively there is too much physical unreliability in the group.

2 Likes

I’m more inclined to believe the former rather than the latter – we already had all the information we needed to make a conclusion on the latter. On the other hand, for something to force his hand like this, either we have an opportunity to make a Kabak-style loan where we bring in a player with potential but who’s more of an outside shot rather than one firmly in the ascendancy.

Not sure why many are so delighted with this necessarily, the most charitable explanation for a change of heart is that one of our targets is suddenly available. Maybe one of our other midfielders has found a suitor, but the most likely explanation is a setback for our midfielders injury-wise.

That said, I can’t resist saying, Bajcetic and Clark are like new signings!

Have to say really disappointed in Naby’s availability, nowhere near good enough for someone hoping to become world class. I get that it’s not him “desiring” to be injured — and understanding that injuries are often down to chance and probability — but he can’t possibly develop if he never plays (cc: Sturridge). If we pulled the plug on Fekir at least (allegedly) in part because of his knee, how did we miss such obvious signs while recruiting Naby? Matip is of a similar ilk, but at least he was free!

Re: unreliability elsewhere, there are numerous cases but I hoped for more from Thiago and Ox. Ox was super unfortunate in 2018 as he was playing his best ever when he did the ACL, and had another long-term injury, so you have to feel from him. However, aside from the Genk screamer and a few other contributions hasn’t done enough to stay in the side when fit. Thiago came for cheap on a fee that (in addition to being 29 when we bought him) also seemed to account for his injury history…when you can’t play more than half of the games, you’re of limited value even if you can do ridiculous things like what he did against Porto at home.

Only 3+ days left, were is the new midfielder Jurgen …

4 Likes

Were is the midfielder?
You mean Jesse Were!?
Sounds like he likes to play upfront but okay, that’s from Leftfield.

Well we have been critisized for our lack of goals from midfield in the last couple of years, so a striker in midfield could be 1 idea to fix that

It’s starting to make sense now. Dutch is our ITK king

I am pretty sure that against Newcastle we will already have a new midfielder on the bench in comparison to the last two matchday squads.

I would bet that this additional midfielder will wear the #17 jersey!

4 Likes

That’s right. Jones will be back in the fold, and that is great news! :+1:

5 Likes

…and someone just threw a paper airplane in his eye

1 Like

Only 2+ days left, wh :innocent:ere is the new midfielder Jurgen …

2 Likes