The Central Midfield Thread

He will not have to start every match, because now we have a player like Mac and also Jones doing well recently. And it will be great for Mac especially to work a year with Thiago and pick up some valuable things to add to his game.

1 Like

Don’t Wataru it down…this is not the Endo of the rebuild…our Japanese star is not a long-term solution

1 Like

He got injured reading your statement

Can we stop with the “jokes” now?

Tiresome tbh.

1 Like

Well the joke was t a joke for it’s own sake, there’s a factual statement there

Yes, he will only be a solution for two or three years, but the way this transfer window has been, it seems the club are hoping that things will have calmed down next year.

Not sure if that’s realistic tbh.

1 Like

I don’t think it’ll calm down at all. Something needs to be done structurally to prevent Chelsea-like behaviour by other clubs.
Even if they point towards the sale of so many players…you are not running a professional football club properly if you have to sell SO many players so swiftly. That shouldn’t be allowed either

Question from me as I haven’t been paying attention, my bad but I’m finding motivation a tad difficult these days

Is the balance in that midfield squad ok? Based purely on what I saw in the Chelsea game (which was the 2nd half) we still dont look right at all. That could largely be down to player familiarity etc. but we still look wide open at times to me.

We definitely don’t look right balance-wise

1 Like

Player familiarity and Gakpo/Robrtson in a position they aren’t comfortable in against a top four contender. We’ll improve with time as familiarity builds, and we tweak. We still have options returning to fitness and Endo coming in.

I think Endo will help with that balance. Hopefully Baj too once he’s back.

I think even if it doesn’t, the club can still plan ahead for next summer with a view to what it feels will be needed. It feels very much that the disruption from Hendo and Fabinho moving was greater than expected.

1 Like

Another corner - I expect Virgil or Ibou to have a free header

Wanted to ask this all the time. Don’t know Lavia but is he really already better than Bajcetic or has the bigger potential?

1 Like

Neither. Bajcetic is clear imo. Just need to get him fit and back into the rotation.

Lavia is better than Bajcetic (using both youth and senior football as evidence), and his injury record is better too.

If Baj wasn’t our player nobody would be arguing he is better, that’s the honest truth. Still a very good young player though.

3 Likes

Stats aren’t everything, but here they are anyway…

2 Likes

Bajcetic is younger than Lavia and has played less matches too.

In terms of pedigree in youth football they are not close. Latvia has been earmarked a potential star since he was 15. Bajcetic got no recognition with the Spain youth sides until he broke through into the first team with us.

That doesn’t mean Lavia will necessarily be the better player but there has been a big disparity between them on their way up to this level. Success in youth football is not a perfect measure of senior long term prospects but then neither is a young player making a hand full of encouraging senior appearances

1 Like

I think Bajectic now has a good chance to push on and ultimately prove to be the better player simply due to where he is.

1 Like